Has Bobas taste changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
well I guess you have the original batch before they ran out right? If so than no...tastes the same to me out of a 30ml bottle from the start.

I purchased two bottles 30ml 24mg of BB and GJ and they both taste the same to me.... ordered them the 3rd or 4th soft open (when the randomly opened in early june). Is it a 100ml bottle? did you ask for a flavor shot? my two cents.

Kusa

Aug 9, 2012
Cleveland
Hmm after thinking about this problem. I just took an atti on my reo and fired it up. No sour taste. I have been using cotton wicks in my rba and maybe it was causing the wonky taste So I whipped up a wick with some good old silica and tastes good now. Maybe it was the cotton I was using. Don't know? Maybe my tastebuds are out of wack lately
Oh and no flavor bump

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
I must admit I was a little concerned hearing posts of BB taste changing and my bottle from a few weeks ago didn't taste quite right when fresh outta the mailbox. BUT . . . a couple weeks later it is tasting just fine and like I remember, so I guess it just needed a little steeping, first. Funny, 'cos I usually haven't bothered to in the past, but since it's all good now I got nothing to complain about :)

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
I've been vaping out of same 100ml bottle for a while and tried rolled cotton wick a week or so ago. The flavor changed drastically. I think the cotton filters out the solids and makes it taste way off. Also if you notice your cotton is black after about 1ml, that's the solids caught in it not making it to the coil. Silica or Nextel doesn't do this. I went back to 1/32" Nextel in my micro coils and its heaven every since. The cotton does work nice on clearer juices though.

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
This is a stickler for me, and here's why: We will never change the recipe(flavor) of a e-liquid. If a change occurs we would rather rename the new flavor (since that what it is) then call it by another name. However, that information aside. We will not change the flavor of any recipe. (this leads back to the earlier point)

Keep in mind that more goes into the effect you experience than the e-liquid alone. Voltage, resistance, design of your device, materials used, etc. all play more than a minimal role in the flavor and effect you receive.

AK Aaron

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
Ohio
It's is my first bottle tried. Have been vaping it right out of the mailbox and its THE BOMB!! I will be placing a 100 ml order next week and I've heard it gets better steeped. WHOA MOMMA! Can't wait for that! I really want to try the gorilla juice but I'm not sure that I'd like banana flavor :/ So maybe ill just stick with the Boba's

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
This is a stickler for me, and here's why: We will never change the recipe(flavor) of a e-liquid. If a change occurs we would rather rename the new flavor (since that what it is) then call it by another name. However, that information aside. We will not change the flavor of any recipe. (this leads back to the earlier point)

Keep in mind that more goes into the effect you experience than the e-liquid alone. Voltage, resistance, design of your device, materials used, etc. all play more than a minimal role in the flavor and effect you receive.

I get this; I totally get this. However, and I do not refute your position on this, but when I tasted Boba's before, I tasted what seemed to me to be a natural tobacco base (I PMed you about this, but never heard back) and now when I taste Boba's, I get a heavy dose of Gamel (not saying that Gamel is not a natural tobacco base, but it is quite distinct and impossible to hide--even in costume). Now, the interesting thing is that I can deal with Gamel and all of its briny, vinegar like taste (I dig it); but with Boba's, it ("it" meaning the other flavor that makes Boba's, Boba's) doesn't fair well (to me) against the backdrop of that base. It just can't compete.

I have been vaping now since 2010 and for the past 2 years I have used the same mod, the same attys (same brand and resistance), and the same watts (res/voltage). Hell, I even use the same drip tips. LOL. I said all that to say that if you say you haven't changed anything about Boba's since it's inception, then I take you word for it; but take my for it when I say this liquid does not taste the same as it did (I first had it early last year and have had some since). Yes, the top of Boba's is the same, but the bottom (base) does not taste the same at all.

Reactions: shatner

unowner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2012
Norfolk, VA
I get this; I totally get this. However, and I do not refute your position on this, but when I tasted Boba's before, I tasted what seemed to me to be a natural tobacco base (I PMed you about this, but never heard back) and now when I taste Boba's, I get a heavy dose of Gamel (not saying that Gamel is not a natural tobacco base, but it is quite distinct and impossible to hide--even in costume). Now, the interesting thing is that I can deal with Gamel and all of its briny, vinegar like taste (I dig it); but with Boba's, it ("it" meaning the other flavor that makes Boba's, Boba's) doesn't fair well (to me) against the backdrop of that base. It just can't compete.

I have been vaping now since 2010 and for the past 2 years I have used the same mod, the same attys (same brand and resistance), and the same watts (res/voltage). Hell, I even use the same drip tips. LOL. I said all that to say that if you say you haven't changed anything about Boba's since it's inception, then I take you word for it; but take my for it when I say this liquid does not taste the same as it did (I first had it early last year and have had some since). Yes, the top of Boba's is the same, but the bottom (base) does not taste the same at all.

i agree with you completely, when i first tasted boba it was at 6mg(no flavor bump) and tasted heavenly.. and 2nd time i ordered was @ 12mg.... it smelled like bobas but tasted was little off... i thought it was the 12mg that was making the difference and ordered 6mg. it was getting close to what i had it first but was still just a little bit off. Maybe extra flavor bump would make it but until AVE sort this out, i wont be ordering it again.

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
Last month, and this month, I've spent over $300.00 w/ Ben over at AVE Juice.

Possibly since they ran out of stock, maybe their stock wasn't sitting on the shelf for very long. I took that into consideration and steeped mine for 2 weeks.

Same great taste.

However, right out of the mail I got an OVERWHELMING honey taste. But... it still tasted great :laugh:

Initially I was going to write something on here about flavor change - but I let it steep w/ caps on in my below 74 degree steeping closet - after 2 weeks, it darkened up visually, and went back to the same ole' BB amazing taste.

The Don Mega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Greenville, PA
Been the same for me however GJ tastes a little off

Same here, man. I don't even think its a little off. It's way off to what I've had in the past. I have some 100mL bottles steeping right now, tho. Been in the drawer for 9 days now. I want to try it so darn bad, but I'm just goin to let it sit for another week or two. Ppl are saying 3-4 wks of steeping time to get that taste we are all accustomed to.

steven445

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Ohio
Went back to cotton and it tastes great. My tastebuds must have been fubar. Actually its awesome now. Needed some time i guess

How are you getting the cotton to not burn with the Bobas?
Every time I tried a rolled cotton wick with Bobas it turns the wick really dark really quick.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
I completely agree Mr.Mann. After receiving my order from the test opening it did not taste the same as my prior reserves. I did not want to say anything until I received an order of flavor bumped Boba's since the first order was not flavor bumped. I then compared the two and neither one quite matched my prior reserve. I then let the flavor bumped bobas steep a couple weeks and it is still not the same (to me). I am missing some of what people describe as the "graham cracker" flavor and getting more fruity notes than I am accustomed to. I am not implying there was any change in the recipe but it is my belief that something definitely has changed.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I completely agree Mr.Mann. After receiving my order from the test opening it did not taste the same as my prior reserves. I did not want to say anything until I received an order of flavor bumped Boba's since the first order was not flavor bumped. I then compared the two and neither one quite matched my prior reserve. I then let the flavor bumped bobas steep a couple weeks and it is still not the same (to me). I am missing some of what people describe as the "graham cracker" flavor and getting more fruity notes than I am accustomed to. I am not implying there was any change in the recipe but it is my belief that something definitely has changed.

I kept mine for awhile and it stayed the same. Gamel is a reorder for me. However, I do NOT recommend that juice as it is one funky ... liquid. But I love it! :laugh: (No joke, I love it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread