What size ekowool for Protank rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utsuru

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Arkansas, USA
Hi there, I'm still new to all this and despite people telling me to go simple and what-not, the great people in the support chat at MBV recommended me this setup so I'm stuck with it for now and need to get it to work for me. So, I've got the Kanger Protank and my 1000mah eGo Twist battery. I've been getting disappointing performance from my tank and I've heard great things about ekowool. I was wondering what size would be best as the "mm" size seem deceiving and larger than they would let on.

I was thinking about getting some 2mm and maybe a bit of 1mm? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

mmullen68

Jun 12, 2013
Mesa, AZ, USA
I was actually peeping your thread seeing if someone responded about the 2mm because im about to re-order. On my first ekowool attempt, i ordered 1mm last week and did my first rebuild last night. The 1mm is on the thinner side, what I did was take two pieces of 1mm and wrapped them with 32 gauge Kanthal. So far it is wicking great and no flooding. I like the ekowool because i was able to crank my volts up to 4.7 and didnt get any burning tast like i would with normal silicia. the ekowool has higher heat resistance. the only thing i didnt like was that the ekowool comes apart more easily than i thought it would but its not really a problem or big deal. One tip i would give is to wet it before you start working with it and wet it again when you need to trim the ends ones its installed. this will give you more precise cuts and keep it from fraying. I did notice that while building the head i still ended up with some little fibers on my fingers and if you work the ekowool too much itll start to fray and come apart. I did read on reddit that ekowool is amorphous silicia which even if inhaled can be broken down by the lungs where other types of silica cannot. I ordered some XC-116 braided ceramic to try as well. Im happy with the ekowool so far tho. i think im gonna order the 2mm today to try out and see if its thick enough to not have to double up. the 1mm would be good for laying a piece on top of the coil if needed but i didnt even have to put anything on top of the coil when i wrapped 2 pieces of 1mm. So to answer your question either will work but if you get 1mm just double it up and you shouldnt have any flooding even without a piece laid on top of coil. Im vaping pluid as well which is on the thinner side , 50/50 i think and still no flood problems yet. hope this helps.

jcco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
I have used 1 and 1.5mm ekowool in my Protanks and both fit really well, I typically just use cotton through. Cheaper and wicks just as good/better than ekowool.

My only try with cotton found that it gunk's up really fast. Is that typical? Also seems impossible to clean cotton, what am I doing wrong?
I used cotton in Evod & 2 tank fulls of Boba's wiped it out. Is that to be expected with the known coil killers like Boba's?
Seems like I get better mileage with silica. Although much better flavor w/cotton.

& thanks for the info Big L.

BigLebowski

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Clearfield, UT
I find cotton will gunk up after about 2 tanks through the Protank with most juices, but it so easy/cheap to replace cotton that it doesn't bother me at all. I just rinse off the head in water, pull the cotton wick out, pulse the coil to burn off any leftover gunk and slide another cotton wick back in. Prime the wick, let it sit for 30 mins and continue to vape. With 1mm ekowool I can easily slide it into my microcoil as well, wrapped on a 1/16 drill bit, but I would rather save that for RDA's.

BigLebowski

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Clearfield, UT
Great thread....I am anxious to try Ekowool and was wondering about the size. I also read that you should boil it before use. It seems that if it unwraps so easily that boiling would make that worse....right?

You don't really need to boil it, and it does fray easily. I torch mine and then wrap my coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread