Davide vs ProTank 2 Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barefoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Xianning, Hubei Province, China
Bought a ProTank 2 from InnoVapours with the intention of doing a comparison to the Davide - Enjoy
smiley2.gif

For me, the Davide has a slight edge in looks, Capacity, Flavour and being able to use all my Drip Tips, but is let down on being Chrome Plated. Hopefully, Anyvape will address this in a Version 2.

The ProTank 2 is a huge improvement over the PT, no gurgles etc, but can only use slimmer Drip Tips.

Edit
Looks like the marketing folk at Kanger 'Exaggerated' a tad :facepalm: - after watching Todd's review and several minutes of scraping with a knife - a similar reddish metal to the Davide was discovered underneath. So both the Davide and PT2 are Chrome plated - reinforcing me preference of the Davide :toast:

Will post a pic tomorrow ;)

Last edited:

Gerick

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2013
NYC
Nice review BF

I also like my Davide over my ProTank ..just a tad.

I don't like the tip that came with the Davide..very loose fitting. Good thing I had other tips that fit more snug. I already broke one of my Davides glass tanks, ouch . Can you get replacement parts for the Davide over there in the UK yet ?

Also..I like them fat SS tips you have..where you buy them ?

Thanks

Barefoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Xianning, Hubei Province, China
Thanks Gerick ;)

Replacements for the Davide not available yet - probably be the same time as Eric gets them at DV.

The DT's are from Smok-E Mountain in the Philippines - there's a listing on the site for a supplier in the US - or Cloud 9 Vaping delivers to the US tho have short opening times at the mo due to ill health ;)

The Fat one's the Rameses - and has a really wide bore - more a Flavour Funnel than a DT - tho excellent for DDing too :D

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Nice review BF

I also like my Davide over my ProTank ..just a tad.

I don't like the tip that came with the Davide..very loose fitting. Good thing I had other tips that fit more snug. I already broke one of my Davides glass tanks, ouch . Can you get replacement parts for the Davide over there in the UK yet ?

Also..I like them fat SS tips you have..where you buy them ?

Thanks

Your the second person I've heard that their Davide glass broke. The PT 2 glass seems very durable. Does the glass appear to be any different?

Gerick

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2013
NYC
Actually I dropped it about 4ft onto a hard ceramic floor , so I don't
think any glass tank would have survived that fall.

The glass isn't thin but it's also not thick.

For plastic tanks the iClear 16 is my favorite.

For glass tanks the Davide is my favorite.

For all SS tanks the Tatroe is my favorite.

I want to stay away from plastic so the iclear 16 won't be used as much.(stay away from the iclear 30's..you might get a lemon..I got 2 lemons)

The Tatroe SS tank is great, but I'm not use to the taste in an all SS tank. I don't mind that you can't see how much juice you have left,because I can basically tell from the draw after a while when it's getting too low. It's beautiful and well made ,but I have to get use to the taste. Everything taste totally different in it. If I can't get use to the taste I will stick with the davide.

I like my protank ,but don't like that they use glue to adhere the SS tank to the glass and you can't change tips.

So as of now my Davide is my favorite ..nice clean taste and no plastic or glue . You just have to get a tip
that fits nice and snug/tight ,because the tips that come with are somewhat loose and give an very airy draw.

I don't have the PT 2 so I can't tell you about it's glass. Can the PT2 be totally taken apart like the davide ?

Thanks

Your the second person I've heard that their Davide glass broke. The PT 2 glass seems very durable. Does the glass appear to be any different?

Last edited:

Gerick

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2013
NYC
Something else to look into is, if the glass tanks have been "Annealed"

"Annealing is a process of slowly cooling glass to relieve internal stresses after it was formed. The process may be carried out in a temperature-controlled kiln known as a lehr.[1] Glass which has not been annealed is liable to crack or shatter when subjected to a relatively small temperature change or mechanical shock. Annealing glass is critical to its durability. If glass is not annealed, it will retain many of the thermal stresses caused by quenching and significantly decrease the overall strength of the glass."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(glass)

PS: My glass tank dropped 4 ft onto hard ceramic tiles ,so if annealed or not ,I would think it would have broke anyway. Annealing is good to know for any future purchase of glass tanks .

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
Interesting....the Davide glass might not be as strong as the protank glass. I know the way it falls matters, but I was able to drop a protank v1 on the cement from 4ft (it actually got knocked off my trucks tailgate and went flying), 2nd time on tile, and the 3rd time broke it.

Considering the PT-2 and Davide are both made with chrome plated brass with glass tanks, and the Davide is a good $5 cheaper, it really might be lower quality glass/not annealed. One drop even on cement should be at least a 50/50 chance of survival.

Now, if Mike at spectrum tanks made replacement tanks for the Davide and the metal parts were SS, I wouldn't think twice about buying 4-5 Davides. I like that look. If they're that fragile though, I might have to live with a couple PT-2's until the next best thing comes out in a week.

SS+Pyrex+glue-free+"Phoenix style" non-replaceable heads needs to come next. Most people can wrap a coil around a toothpick and stick the ends through some posts. Complete freedom on wick material and coil resistance.

Basically a simplified Kayfun, because a Kayfun is essentially a very well built but overly complex clearomizer. They just designed it so that SS covers the coil/wick instead of using a big silicone grommet. Don't freak out, when I say "clearo" I'm referring to the general design (airflow/suction/tank), not comparing it to a stardust.

Thinking out loud, sry :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread