Question on Woodville VV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy4life

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Jacksonville, Fl
Got a quick question. I notice on the Woodville VV, that there is a red light that is emitted from the box where the controller resides. This light remains on as long as the unit has the button on the bottom switched to the on position. So here are my questions:

1. Does this light consume significant power to the point that I should be turning the unit off?
2. Should I turn my metal VV grand models off also when not being used?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
IMHO, no and no. I don't think the light is a significant power suck at all....and I almost never turn my VV Grand off. The only time is if I'm putting it in something that might have cramped quarters where the switch could get accidentally fired. (For instance, an overnight case.)

You can't see it unless you're in a blacked-out room, but the VV Grand has the same little red light in there, too.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yep It intrigued me when I saw it for the first time too. Then I said a silent thank you to the mod ninja for concealing it, rather than to glorify it like some mod makers try to do :)

It also learned from someone here that it turns blue when you fire it

I never turn mine off unless I were to pocket it, which I rarely do.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Yep It intrigued me when I saw it for the first time too. Then I said a silent thank you to the mod ninja for concealing it, rather than to glorify it like some mod makers try to do :)

It also learned from someone here that it turns blue when you fire it

I never turn mine off unless I were to pocket it, which I rarely do.

Face it, our mod maker is a class act. He doesn't need to be flashy....he's got the real deal.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I'm glad this thread came up. I've been wondering about my VV Grand too. Two very mysterious things have happened to my VV Grand. One day I went use it & it wouldn't fire. I didn't think it would be low batts cause I don't use it daily but when I went to checked the cells they both were at under 2v! I hate drivers with parastic drain, I won't use them, & I will get rid of any production or custom flashlight I got that had it with the exception of my HID Maglite. I really hope the VVG doesn't have parastic drain. Since then I have been switching it off until I get around to testing it.

Other strange thing (unrelated) that happened to my VVG is on day I noticed the interior was full of juice. First I had thought maybe the bottle wasn't tight but juice was dripping out the delrin cover too. I removed the delrin cover & found juice all up inside there too. Though maybe the tube was loose or leaking at the 510 connection but it doesn't seem to be. I never store my Reos in any position than standing up. Fully cleaned the whole thing out & it hasn't happened again since but again I don't use it daily.

These two things really got me puzzled. Maybe someone or something is sneaking in when I'm not around and using it! Hope this doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
That leak thing is really strange.

I know there is a tiny little light that is part of the VV chip aparatus. Since Rob decided to put it/leave it behind the cover, I'm assuming that it can't be disabled or he would have disabled it since it doesn't serve any purpose for us. But...I'm sure there must be some tiny little drain attributed to it....I mean there has to be, right?

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
That leak thing is really strange.

I know there is a tiny little light that is part of the VV chip aparatus. Since Rob decided to put it/leave it behind the cover, I'm assuming that it can't be disabled or he would have disabled it since it doesn't serve any purpose for us. But...I'm sure there must be some tiny little drain attributed to it....I mean there has to be, right?

Yes it was really strange!

Yes there should be but a smd LED that size really shouldn't be using that much poewer at all, not enough to cause my batteries to drain that low in the short time frame it did. Is the LED visible with the cover on? I just turned mine on in tbe complete dark & fired it too. I wasn't able to see it light up. I could always desolder it (I'm capable of doing so) but don't think it would make a difference.

Darkzero...you need to contact Rob right away....it should not leak like that.

Thanks, yes I know but I'm not the type to overreact or jump to conclusions. I won't bother unless I confirm. It hasn't done it again but I am keeping an eye on it.

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Okay....leaking on the outside is one thing...but if it's inside, that needs to be fixed. He will want you to send it in for sure if that is the case.
If you need to send it in, here is the address. Include a note about what is going on with it, your name, email address and phone number. Also, please make sure you remove the juice bottle and batteries.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Okay....leaking on the outside is one thing...but if it's inside, that needs to be fixed. He will want you to send it in for sure if that is the case.
If you need to send it in, here is the address. Include a note about what is going on with it, your name, email address and phone number. Also, please make sure you remove the juice bottle and batteries.

Thanks.

I first noticed it when I picked it up one day & it felt heavy. Turns out so much juice leaked out that it seaped out the bottom & it was standing in a small pool of juice. So that was a lot of juice! No juice was on the exterior so it wasn't leaking out the atty. I can't imagine it to have a leak that bad & I can't think of anything I might have done to cause that much of a leak. I'm careful when filling & have never had a juice mess in any of my Reos.

I've worked in auto & electronic repair all of my life so I am very mechanically inclined. If I can fix the issue myself I will, that is if there really is an issue. I haven't seen any juice inside it today but I have not removed the cover again since. I'm hoping it just leaked out the bottle cap or something, if it does leak again & it's the cap I'll just replace it myself. If it does happen to be a much more serious issue then I may contact Robert. At this time I won't bother him with speculations, he has better things to do, like making more Reos! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread