Do you vape @ HOME in front of your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpmeth

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2013
SoCal
I finally convinced my wife that vaping is less harsh compared to smoking actual cigarettes.

In fact, she does like the point that i dont smell bad anymore and can play with my kids without washing hands after smoke.

But I still dont feel comfortable vaping in the house when everyone walks around and especially when my 4yr old son is staring at me probably wondering "... is he doing with that light saber looking thing?"

And i have seen many people vaping in the car drving with kids on board.

It is less harmful yes. (or maybe not you never know) but the fact that there IS still nicotines in exhaled vapor.

eGo-v knock off, eVic, ProVari mini, Smoktech Pyrex DCT, RY4 Kustom

curisu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
San Francisco
do you drink a beer or glass of wine or even a cocktail in front of your child(ren)? Sure. Do you get sloppy drunk in front them? I hope not. Alcohol has destroyed more families than vaping ever will (or could).

While I'm not comfortable vaping in front of my kids, I have no illusions of the fact that they are aware. They are sponges - trying to hide it will probably be more detrimental than doing it while they are not home/awake. i respect the wishes of my wife, and don't vape in front of them, but if they catch me in my office, i don't try to hide it.

my son (4) now asks mommy, "Is papa using his vaporizer now?" before walking into my office. he picks up on the fact that she doesn't like it when he witnesses the vapor, but she doesn't stop him walking in.

Why did (we) you not smoke in front of them before? It was a disgusting habit with huge health implications. The addictiveness rivals
schedule I/II/III drugs and is responsible for early asthma and other respiratory problems in children stuck in smoking households.

Is vapor in the same class? Responsibly used (like your alcohol) it will have little or no impact, and using it as a teaching point vs smoking can help them avoid habitual tobacco use in their futures.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm much more of "they're going to see/try/use [something] in the future - make sure we show them that responsible use is the way to go" kind of papa; it helps that my wife is on the same page.

BigLebowski

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Clearfield, UT
Curisu phrased my sentiments exactly. I wouldn't even think about vaping in my car with my daughter but outside where it is well ventilated I have no qualms about it. It took awhile to explain to my parents and they looked at me funny but I'm not smoking anymore so they are on board. Who cares what the ex thinks :2cool:

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I do, though with my grand kids, it leads to a lot of cookie and candy making. They smell something good I'm vaping and want some, so I end up making the edible equivalent for them. LOL. That settles them.

As for what I tell them, I simply tell the little ones it's for grown ups only. As they get older, I explain it more to them.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I don't vape in front of children in my family - my two daughters and several nieces and nephews. My daughters are 2 1/2 and 4 months. The 4 month old doesn't really count in this as she has no clue.

When I was growing up, every single adult in my family smoked, except both of my grandmothers. I'm not blaming them for my smoking, after all I was the one who make the choice even though every one of them told me not to. But actions are so much louder than words.

My brothers are quite a bit younger than I am. The older one is 10 years younger. My father tried quitting a million times, but finally quit when my brother was about 4 and sitting around acting like he was smoking a pen. He sat down on the couch next to my father, pretended his Lego block was a lighter, sucked on a pen, and tilted his head up as he made a loud exhale. My father put his head down in shame and that was it.

Actions speak louder than words. A lot of people here have this notion that nicotine is some healthy wonder drug. I don't care what rationale they use. I'm vaping as a nicotine cessation method. Gradually dropping the nic concentration until I reach zero.

There's no guarantee my children and nieces and nephews won't smoke, vape or use any other means of nicotine. If they do, at least it won't be due to my influence. If they pick up the habit or start to, I'll be open and transparent about my nicotine use. Till then, I'll vape in the bathroom, porch and anywhere else where I'm out of sight. No way they'll do what my brother did and be able to say "I saw dad/uncle JR doing it."

Edit: I find it interesting that my 3 cousins and I who are within 3 years of each other all smoked/smoked at one point, yet my brothers and cousins who are significantly younger than us never smoked. Everyone (except one uncle) quit smoking before or right around the time they were born. Sure there's other influences out there, but there's no influence like your family. Maybe it's purely coincidental that it worked out that way, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
I'm me, I don't hide who I am to anyone. Period.
Including my teenager. I'm not doing anything illegal, or immoral.
In this area more adults than not are sitting on barstools every night.
Teenagers and young adults are big on the drinking scene.
I'm not a drinker per se, but if I do have a drink I don't hide that either.
A child at some point in time has to face the real world - and make choices.
Hopefully responsible ones.
As far as if it's safe - there is a risk with just about anything. Anything.
But I don't buy the second hand vapor is harmful theory.
And I never will.

Vapeman12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Georgia
I felt funny doing it in front of th w wif at first, she keep saying "I've not sen you vape yet do it in front of me", i felt funny doing it in front of her the first time but since then, I have ben doing it, I still fel funny, I never smoked. She has only vape a couple times she dont like it like i had hoped. or maybe its good cause then I couldn't vap as much or ild have get another battery.

there is a thread hear somewhere about vaping in front of the kids, we dont have kids well we have 4 legged furbabys . there a thread about that also. Not sure I would ever vap in front of my parents, i think ild feel to funny.

If i had teens I would do it in front of them and teach them all about it, tell them if they ever thought about smoking to come to me and Ild let them vape a lil cause its much better then smoking

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Unless smoking is made illegal in the next 10 years, your kids will probably smoke. Weather you vape or smoke, or do neither. This is reality. I smoked around my grand nieces and nephews. Not WITH them there, but they knew what I was doing. I vape around them in the same way. I don't try to be obvious and flaunt my vaping in public, but I won't whip out my device and start vaping if there are young kids around. I will go off to another location.
I have never had kids ask me about it, but if I did, I will be able to honestly tell them that vaping is a replacement for tobacco, and since it would be in public, I would be able to tell them that my vape does not have nicotine. And, no, they cannot try it because you have to be of voting age for it to be legal.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I never smoked in my home or in front of my children. I always waited till they went to bed then I went outside. They never saw me smoke an actual cigarette. But now I do vape in the house and in front of them.. they are 20 and 14. I don't vape in front of anyone else but my family. Every Sunday night I go to my sister's house and we watch Dexter or Game of thrones or walking dead. She would never let me smoke in her house (I would never ask or even want to) but she doesn't mind me vaping. She enjoys the smell.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
do you drink a beer or glass of wine or even a cocktail in front of your child(ren)? Sure.

No, I don't keep alcohol in the house (even though I do drink when out), but that's a different question.

My kids (8 and 10) never knew I smoked. For the first few weeks I hid vaping from them too, but last week my 8 year old saw me vaping and asked me about it. I had a long talk with the kids about smoking and how terrible it is and that I was ashamed that I used to smoke cigarettes. I told them about vaping and that it was much safer for me than cigarettes and I did it so that I wouldn't smoke. It was an emotional evening for all of us.

So, now I don't blatantly vape in front of them, but I do vape in the living room when they're elsewhere in the house and there's been a couple of times when they've entered the room while I was exhaling, but it's been no big deal. If we're all sitting around watching TV, I don't vape and I don't vape with them in the car. I keep all my vaping stuff in the master bedroom closet where they don't go.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
I was raised by my parents with the concept "Do what I say and not what I do" and it worked. My father had all his rifles and shotguns loaded and leaning in the closet. We were told never too touch them unless he was around. We left them alone. Both my parents smoked and there were always cigs laying around. We were told not to touch them...we didn't. I didn't start smoking til I was grown...I know stupid!

My kids had always known I smoked and they are teenagers now. When I started to vape they were thrilled that I wasn't smoking anymore and I told them not to touch it and they don't. I just don't believe in sheltering kids cause one day they are going to out in the big bad world and they need to be prepared.

BK272

Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Texas
I've always drank and smoked in front of my kids/family. I am who I am. I don't judge and don't expect to be judged. My 13 yr old son is actually the one who helped get me to quit cigs and start vaping. I'll vape where I want, when I want. It's all legal so I don't see the big deal. I've never hid what I do from anyone. Just my opinion.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I think the biggest unmentioned/unasked factor by the OP is the age of children. The children I spoke of in my previous post are 8 and under. There's a huge difference in vaping in front of them and in front of say 16 year olds. A teenager is old enough to genuinely understand vaping vs smoking and why. Young children don't generally understand you're feeding an addiction they shouldn't start. Hard to explain, but you catch my drift.

Vapeman12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Georgia
Unless smoking is made illegal in the next 10 years, your kids will probably smoke. Weather you vape or smoke, or do neither. This is reality. I smoked around my grand nieces and nephews. Not WITH them there, but they knew what I was doing. I vape around them in the same way. I don't try to be obvious and flaunt my vaping in public, but I won't whip out my device and start vaping if there are young kids around. I will go off to another location.
I have never had kids ask me about it, but if I did, I will be able to honestly tell them that vaping is a replacement for tobacco, and since it would be in public, I would be able to tell them that my vape does not have nicotine. And, no, they cannot try it because you have to be of voting age for it to be legal.
I disagree, it really depends ont he kids, I grew up around 2 smoking parents, 2 smoking grandparents, all of my friends smoked and I never did, I couldn't stand the smell/sight of it. I have had friends who neither parent smoked and they started smoking.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I smoked, not in the house, around my three, now adult, daughters during their youth. Hope they'll forgive me. And no, none of 'em took up smoking.

My five g-babies, 4-8 years, have never seen me smoke nor vape, although they live within three miles. Why? 'Cause that's my choice. Besides, it's now so much easier to wait for a vape!
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread