Innokin SVD or Sigelei Zmax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks!

After great help yesterday, I've narrowed down my first APV to either an innokin SVD or a sigelei Zmax.

I am not at all a tech-head, and after reading everything I can't seem to tell what the difference is between these two other than the price. Both seem to have lots of fans here.

So, help me choose -- which one should I pick?

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I like the Sigelei V3/V5. The main differences are the quality of the build is slightly better on the Sigelei, imho. I have both and the Sigelei is the best APV for under $100 excluding the eVic, imho. Don't know why an adapter is needed for ego threaded devices. Mine works fine with ego threaded and 510 threaded devices. They both use the same chip. The Sigelei is a little cleaner looking, the SVD has the strange button placements, the strange telescoping, the strange raised display, and the strange etching on the tube to indicate how to use the buttons. Really no comparison, imho. The new Sigelie V5 marries the capabilities of the iTaste MVP (battery charging) and the SVD (telescoping) into a sleek package. The Sigelei gets my vote. I would trade my new SVD for your new V5, any day of the week. My two cents.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I don't own an SVD, but do have a Zmax V3. I really like it. I think it is better than the Vamo (which I also have). The Sigelei is built very well, considering the hit or miss quality of their mechanical mods. I'm sure others will come here to tell you the great things about their SVDs. Bottom line: they both are pretty awesome devices. When you figure in the cost, they are stellar. The price of the SVD and the Zmax seem pretty much the same to me, so I'm puzzled as to your point that the cost of the two is the only thing that is different.

Last thing I will say about either is DO NOT BUY A 'KIT.' Most of the VV/VW China-made APVs can come as device only or as a kit. These 'kits' often have crap batteries and crap chargers, making it inevitable that you will just have to buy new batteries and a new charger anyways. You should be able to buy a decent charger for around $20 with some research and good batteries can go for anywhere between $6 or $7 all the way to $10 each.

indoorsindica

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
cathedral city, CA, USA
I own an svd (and many more but not sigelei), my buddy has a sigelei he bought a while ago. Im 99% sure he got it off litecigusa. Anyways... my buddy has had nothing but issues with his, from error messages to missfires (Not to meantion I hate the sigelei menu list). He probably got a lemon, but still. Was enough to make me not even buy the new one the manufacturer sent to replace it when he tried to pawn it off on me for 50 lol.

Just looking from the outside form factor, not everyone will like one over the other. The way I hold my mods the buttons are in a better area on the svd(in my opinion of course).

Like Jef said check the apv forum for the differences in power draw. Pbusardo also has a good YouTube video with a graph showing a few mods and how power is distributed/diminished over time. Pretty sure I remember the svd having more consistent power draw. I could be wrong....

Dammnit now I'm gonna go look for that video!

Last edited:
. The price of the SVD and the Zmax seem pretty much the same to me, so I'm puzzled as to your point that the cost of the two is the only thing that is different..

Maybe it's different by area, but at all the Canadian vendors I've looked at which carry both (I ship juice from the states, but try to get hardware here), the Innokin is about $20 to $25 more than the Zmax V3 -- the Zmax is usually $55 to $60,the SVD usually $75 to $80. Can't find any Canadian vendors which carry the V5 yet.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Although I prefer the Zmax to all my other APVs, I have not owned an SVD and feel that I can't comment about a preference between the two.

However I can tell you what I like about the Zmax. I have a Zmax Mini that I used with an extender and an extended battery cap for 18350, 18500 and 18650 batteries. For me the outstanding thing about the Zmax is the fit and finish and overall quality of the device. I think the Zmax is a good quality product.

I particularly love the finish on it, it resists scuffs and fingerprints and cleans up quite nicely with a little polishing.
It took me all of about 1 minute to get used to the menu. It's quite intuitive when you get used to it.

I've never had to use an adapter for any 510 or ego threaded device.

The threads (both the battery cap and the 510 / ego) on the zmax are smooth and some of the best threading I have seen on a China APV / Mod.

Finally if I had to do my vaping journey all over again, I would still buy the Vamo first as that has never let me down and is a good APV. But I would have then got a Zmax and not gotten anything else (except my liquid bottom feeder but that is for a different thread)

Now I think you'll be happy with either - it's pretty much a simple matter of which one you like the look of. I suppose it's not possible to visit a local B&M to see, hold and use them side by side?

Now I think you'll be happy with either - it's pretty much a simple matter of which one you like the look of. I suppose it's not possible to visit a local B&M to see, hold and use them side by side?

Sadly, no brick and mortars that sell any vaping equipment or juice in my province at all (one of the head shops sells juice under the table, but I don't know what the quality is like and their supply is haphazard). As best I can tell, the nearest B&M that carries either the Zmax or the Sigelei is at least a 12 hour drive from me. They are much more common in the U.S. it seems.

indoorsindica

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
cathedral city, CA, USA
After looking around I can't find the video I was thinking of but looked at the test numbers of each they only vary slightly but the svd barely edged it out. To me the big difference is the menu bit, I like it simple which the svd is.

Ive heard of people dropping their svd in snow/water and it being ok after drying. Not to say go drop yours in some or that the zmax wouldn't be fine ;)

Last edited:

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I have a Ego twist, a ZMax V3 and a Provari 2.5. I like the ZMax, I think it is fairly well built, and it uses both the 510 and ego connections. So this has allowed me to use some of my old equipment from my Twist, but also branch out into large 510 toppers. The V3 has an airier draw than my Provari as the air slots on the Zmax are larger than the Provari. I use both on and off all day long, and never have any problems with the V3. I does use up battery faster than the Provari. I use my carto tanks on the Zmax, as I have found the they need a little more draw. I use my Portanks on the Provari. I have a Hippo for it and can adjust for the more airy draw on the Protanks.

I know it not the comparison, of the SVD and V3, but I thought it might be helpful for a comparison between a lower priced PV and what some people consider the Audi R8s of PVs.

Greg W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread