Status
Not open for further replies.

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
Made a natural hemp wick this AM using 20lb thread (2.0mm), 30ga Kanthal A1 wire wrapped to 1.6ohm. I boiled the hemp to get rid of any impurities. I've been using the same set up with 2.5 & 3.0mm silica. The hemp has excellent wicking qualities & is easy to work with, but it does not produce the clean taste that I get with silica. It adds its own distinct flavor, which is not unpleasant. I've got some bamboo material & organic cotton in the mail & will be trying them next.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
Made a natural hemp wick this AM using 20lb thread (2.0mm), 30ga Kanthal A1 wire wrapped to 1.6ohm. I boiled the hemp to get rid of any impurities. I've been using the same set up with 2.5 & 3.0mm silica. The hemp has excellent wicking qualities & is easy to work with, but it does not produce the clean taste that I get with silica. It adds its own distinct flavor, which is not unpleasant. I've got some bamboo material & organic cotton in the mail & will be trying them next.

Someone else here tried the bamboo. I think it's in the micro coil thread will see if I can find it. I don't recall it working very well. :(

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
Bamboo is amazing IMO love it it typically lasts me about a week when using 2 reos

I haven't tried anything but cotton, silica, and mesh. Cotton didn't work well with some of my liquids. I looked at the bamboo I believe it was embroidery string? Is that what you're using? But wasn't willing to try it. It was all either died or treated that I seen. No natural. Never ran across hemp other then the discussions here.

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
I haven't tried anything but cotton, silica, and mesh. Cotton didn't work well with some of my liquids. I looked at the bamboo I believe it was embroidery string? Is that what you're using? But wasn't willing to try it. It was all either died or treated that I seen. No natural. Never ran across hemp other then the discussions here.

The bamboo I have on order is like string - about 2.0mm - and is organic.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Aunt Lydia's Bamboo Crochet Thread & crochet thread & floss at Joann.com
it lasts way better than cotton and I prefer the taste it does have some in the first few vapes but it goes well with my juice :)

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Mind shooting me a link for it. I have a few flavors that are very sensitive to what setup you are using. Taste great in the right setup taste like crap on the wrong one. If I didn't love them it would be easy to toss them and move on lol.

Look up ^^^^

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
I found hemp imparts a grassy flavor even after being boiled. It's durable, but I could never get past that taste. Bamboo was similar. SS always had a slight metallic flavor to it.
I've tried most, if not all of the "accepted" wicking materials and cotton performs the best hands down when it comes to flavor and wicking ability. Tho not all cottons are equal. The best IMO are 100% cotton yarn and cotton balls, I like the yarn for ease of use.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
I found hemp imparts a grassy flavor even after being boiled. It's durable, but I could never get past that taste. Bamboo was similar. SS always had a slight metallic flavor to it.
I've tried most, if not all of the "accepted" wicking materials and cotton performs the best hands down when it comes to flavor and wicking ability. Tho not all cottons are equal. The best IMO are 100% cotton yarn and cotton balls, I like the yarn for ease of use.

But to me some reason cotton tastes...twangy? Not sure how to describe it really but it definitely changes the taste of my juice compared to silica for sure. I'm willing to give wick time to break in but imo if it doesn't taste better after about 2 mils I'm done with it. And cotton never seems to improve for me. I've tried two different brands of organic cotton and I get the same taste from both.

lostknitter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Lee's Summit, MO
I got that same taste with cotton thread I had boiled. But the Bamboo thread doesn't have that taste. I've switched to Bamboo for my tobacco juices, except for CC House Blend. It seems to taste better with silica, as I have heard Boba's does. The organic cotton balls didn't have that taste, but they seem not to last as long as the Bamboo thread. I use the same thread as Justice, and I don't boil it before I use it.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
But to me some reason cotton tastes...twangy? Not sure how to describe it really but it definitely changes the taste of my juice compared to silica for sure. I'm willing to give wick time to break in but imo if it doesn't taste better after about 2 mils I'm done with it. And cotton never seems to improve for me. I've tried two different brands of organic cotton and I get the same taste from both.

As has been stated many times in many threads, every person's taste is different. I have to smile when I see some people saying that hemp tastes good, cotton bad. Then I look at the next post that says that cotton tastes good and hemp bad. I guess that is why there are over 200 cable channels on TV, 100 or so channels on Satellite radio and 10 or so brands of cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread