Tatroe's Protank Mod (CigTechs)...aka...Tatroe Tank (a review of sorts...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
I am like most of the vapers out there: in constant need of gear. When I first started vaping, I started with the Kanger T3 clearomizer and absolutely hated them. They leaked, gurgled, couldn't hold "killer" juices that I wanted to vape, but I liked the look of a tank. Luckily, the Protank was just hitting the market. After a week of much frustration with the T3, which almost drove me back to analogs, but I'm a bull-headed persistent one who borderlines obsessive, I got some Protanks.

I really like the durability and look of the Protank and thought I found the end-all....that is until I came across a thread on here mentioning the merits of the Tatroe Protank mod, or as they call it, the Tatroe tank.

This tank is a stainless steel (SS) version of the Protank and works with the Protank base. I have discovered that I have an attraction to SS with my vape gear with black being a close second. Naturally, I was attracted to that look of an all SS tank. I eyeballed this thing at the CigTechs website for some time without taking the plunge because they were out of the base add on option. I didn't want an odd man out as the saying goes.

Impatient as I am, I just ordered it and figured to pick up a base at another time. C'mon, Discount Vapors...get your stock back up!

Now, we're on to the review...I got the grooved tank because I knew I would enjoy rubbing my thumb on the grooves from time to time (I can be rather fidgety).

PROS:
- SOLID, SOLID, SOLID in construction. I feel like this tank would survive a nuclear blast. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but this thing will let you vape battery acid if you chose to do so (ATTENTION: DO NOT VAPE BATTERY ACID!!!!).
- Aesthetics: this thing looks awesome on my eVic and Vamo. I really like the design of the mod with good angles / lines, and I also am impressed with the curve of the barrel.
Photo06242015.jpg
- Aesthetics Finish: This has what looks like the brushed finish rather than a satin finish. It has a bit of a sheen to it whereas a satin finish is less glossy. It is smooth to the touch. I thought the grooves might have a bit of sharpness to them, but they don't.
- Drip Tip: this is built to fit any 510 drip tip, so you can have a choose-your-own-adventure with drip tips: glass, metal, etc.... Some folks I know have complained about the metal tip of the Protank hitting their teeth.
- Capacity: this holds a bit more juice than the actual Protank (~2.5-ish vs. ~3.2-ish). I measured it out, and it's true that this does hold a bit more.

CONS:
- Obvious: there's no window, so you can't see the juice level. But, a quick open to check is a simple fix (more on this below).
- Gurgling: I still get some of the half-way point negative pressure build up gurgling that the actual Protank suffers from, so this is a good indicator that your tank is half full. With this and the Protank, when the gurgling starts, I like to do a disassemble / clean: both shafts (tank and atty head), under the cup shaped gasket (that's on the center shaft), the wicks, the base (where the atty head screws into the base), the threads of the tank, etc. However, this half-way point gurgling isn't as "juicy" as with the actual Protank.
- Vision / View: if my lighting is a bit dim at fill up time, it's a little difficult to see how close my juice is to the top.
- I do wish they would offer other finishes than just brushed. A polished (high gloss) or satin (low gloss) would be interesting for sure.
- Drip Tip: This does not come with a drip tip, and that's not very clear in the description on the website. So, I could see someone who doesn't own a drip tip getting this and being frustrated that they have to hunt down a tip to use with their awesome new tank. CigTechs only offers one drip tip in their online store, and it doesn't look that interesting anyway.
- Airy draw: This has the same base as the Protank, so I still get the airy draw. It's a little better but still present. However, an air-flow control adapter fixed this airy draw quite nicely. You can see my adapter in the pic above.
*Note on airy draw* The center shaft in the tank is a little smaller than the Protank's, so this tightens the draw a bit. I can't get a cotton swab in the shaft of the Tatroe when I can with the Protank.
- Price: it is a chunk of change for a tank ($35 w/o base - $40 w/ base compared to a $16~$25 range for an actual Protank), but it's solid and vapes well.

What I like about the fine folks at CigTechs:
- Shipping was quick: IL to GA in a few days. It was packaged nicely in a Tatroe Mod custom cardboard box, and my second tank came in a nice felt-ish pouch.
- Customer Service: When I ordered my grooved edition, they were out of bases, and I liked the tank so much that I ordered the smooth one when they were back in stock of bases. I put a comment in the order instructions about them being out of bases and if they could toss me one if they had one to spare and, of course, offered for them to add on the $5 with my order. They sent me an extra base at no extra charge. From all of us here at ECF, I'm HippieAngst; you stay classy CigTechs.

Link to the Tatroe Mod page: Click me!

Bottom line: If you're on the market for a tank that can hold battery acid (REMINDER: DO NOT VAPE BATTERY ACID), this is the mod for you, 4/5 stars from me. They just added a blue version, and maybe they'll add more colors. Feel free to reply with thoughts, contradictions, compliments, bad jokes, good jokes, etc, etc..

As always, happy vaping:vapor:

Last edited:

MrVapaar

Apr 16, 2012
il
The ss base is rather new, came out about a week ago. I got mine last friday, been using since last Saturday. It does tighten the draw just a bit, enough to be almost perfect for me. I am using it the the tatroe tank, but should work just as well on the protank. It makes the tatroe tank a very nice bottom coil tank with a tight enough draw to make it very nice to use without being too tight so it's annoying.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

UCFGoose

Aug 23, 2012
Tampa, FL
I dropped my standard Protank 5 days after getting it. Shattered to hell. Oddly enough I had just watched a review Phil Busardo did where he covered this the day before. I ordered it on 3 July and got it two days ago. I still had my Protank base and beauty ring, and I must say it looks nice and works very well. I let a cow-irker try it with his own driptip and he was very impressed. All in all a wonderful device.

M1k318

Dec 20, 2012
Michigan
^Bump on the new tatroe bottom cap having a perfect draw, love it.

I have the smooth version on the Tatroe tank and today it fell over on the table onto a remote controller and was dented. Just a small dent but all I was expecting to see was a scuff mark.

I thought it wouldn't phase the tuff looking tank but now it seems to me like the walls are super thin. It's probably a different story on the ribbed version, I could see that adding some thickness. regardless I still love the tank and vapes great, just wanted to make people aware that its still more delicate than it looks

Moogle

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Portland, OR
I love my Tatroe Tank! Getting another when they come back in stock. Looks great on my Legacy. The Tatroe base really rocks. It has a tighter draw than the Kanger base and is obviously much more durable. I ordered 5 Protank bases 2 days before the Tatroe base came out (facepalm). They are very poor in quality and a few had obvious defects like the 501 connector being bent or mis-shaped. I tried an experiment not using the silicon cup on the atty when I rebuilt it and used 5 mm of wick and it worked great. Tons of vapor. I think the silicon ring inhibits wicking with the Tatroe and the tolerance on the tank is very tight so there was no leaking. Cig Tech is also awesome. They e-mailed me when the base went into pre-order and replied personally to my questions.

mtdewfreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
Texas
so how does the stainless steel wick work? juice just floods the air spaces in the mesh? is the mesh rolled up?

i just re-wicked a T3 and an EVOD tonight with cotton. my first re-wick jobs... worked well and they taste great.

is the SS wick that much better than cotton or cheese cloth? i am guessing they prolly last forever, huh?

thanks ;)

Moogle

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Portland, OR
so how does the stainless steel wick work? juice just floods the air spaces in the mesh? is the mesh rolled up?

i just re-wicked a T3 and an EVOD tonight with cotton. my first re-wick jobs... worked well and they taste great.

is the SS wick that much better than cotton or cheese cloth? i am guessing they prolly last forever, huh?

thanks ;)

I use a rolled up SS 500 mesh then put 2 1mm silica pieces on top to keep it from leaking. Have to add the silica unfortunately but I cannot taste the silica at all. The flavor is 100% better with no silica "dry" taste. Some juices do not work well in the Tatroe for some reason. TFA Juicy Peach is one. No flavor whatsoever.

I dry burn the SS and coil every 2-3 days and replace the silica. I change flavors and there is no bleed over from the other flavor. I have to say that I am really satisfied with this set up. I soak the SS wick in White Vinegar every 2 weeks and re-coil. Works like a charm!

Moogle

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Portland, OR
Thanks moogle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No problem. There are a ton of videos on it. Took me all of 20 minutes to get down. I use 32 G Kanthal at 6 wraps for ~1.7 ohms. Pulse the battery instead of burning the SS wick. It'll short out so you need short protection. The positive leg will glow hot so be careful not to burn the silicone gasket in the Protank head. By adjusting the coil and pulsing you can get an even burn and by dry-burning like this you condition the SS wick so it wont short. Google SS pulse method. Cheers.

mtdewfreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
Texas
No problem. There are a ton of videos on it. Took me all of 20 minutes to get down. I use 32 G Kanthal at 6 wraps for ~1.7 ohms. Pulse the battery instead of burning the SS wick. It'll short out so you need short protection. The positive leg will glow hot so be careful not to burn the silicone gasket in the Protank head. By adjusting the coil and pulsing you can get an even burn and by dry-burning like this you condition the SS wick so it wont short. Google SS pulse method. Cheers.

Cool, I will have to try this in the near future ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread