E-Cig & Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
I was looking around to see if anyone else had gone over this but I couldn't find a thread so I thought I'd ask. I'm not sure if this should go in the general discussion area or here. I'm assuming here since I'm asking for tips? IDK feel free to tell me if I'm an idiot :p

I'm planning on driving across the state in a couple of weeks. 4-5 hours. I've always had a tendency to chain smoke during long drives but since I'm avoiding analogs this might be an issue as I think it would be pretty dangerous to try an top of my 901 while going 80mph+ down the freeway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier or should I just blow through cartridges and re-use them by topping off later?

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
I'm planning on driving across the state in a couple of weeks. 4-5 hours. I've always had a tendency to chain smoke during long drives but since I'm avoiding analogs this might be an issue as I think it would be pretty dangerous to try an top of my 901 while going 80mph+ down the freeway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier or should I just blow through cartridges and re-use them by topping off later?

You are 100% correct. Topping off carts at 80mph is not good - lol.

Use as many carts as you need and top off the used ones when you stop for gas or reach your destination.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
LOL no worries, I like morbid :p I'm sure you're right about it being potentially deadly but I would also think that if I'm puffing away on my e-cig and things go bad I'd most likely drop it before the airbag would deploy so I doubt that would be much of an issue. I don't tend to hold it in my mouth like a pipe, I keep it in my hand the same as I would a regular cigarette

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
Just remember that airbags are very well known for killing people. For example. Air bags will KILL someone who is under 4'11". My mother is 4'9" and when she gets a car with air bags they have to be defused. Yes, I said defused. They are explosive devices after all. Air Bags are evil :evil:

Oh and don't forget to pack the syringe. It will make refilling much faster.

Last edited:

aasupplyny

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
USA
Keep in mind that if you get in an accident and the airbag deploys, your e-cig will shoot through the back of your head. I don't mean to be morbid. It is just something that people should consider. A minor collision could end up being deadly.

Funny you should mention that. Sometimes when I'm driving with the ecig in my mouth, I imagine that happening. I take it out immediately after lol. I'm so paranoid.

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
If you have extra batteries, I would advise charging all of them for the full cycle prior to leaving. Have your cartridges topped-off and ready to go, as well.

You won't be able to make changes while moving (safely, anyway), but, if it's important for you to not be tempted, it's the quickest solution to your problem.

Also, if you have a usb passthrough, you can use a USB-out cigarette lighter adapter, and go to town. You can get them cheap, and this cuts down on the issue of battery life.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
Thank's for the suggestion but battery life really isnt the issue seeing as it's only a 4 hour drive. I was just hunting to see if anyone knew some nifty trick to topping off the carts while driving down the freeway. Kinda like after years of smoking analogs you can light one without rolling up the window or covering the flame with your other hand. Just the type of things you learn because you have no other choice. Was hoping maybe someone had something like that for topping off while driving

Cage

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2009
Arizona, USA
It's a scary thought.
I drive to PA every Spring and back to AZ in the Fall.
This will be the first year I'll make the trip without cigarettes.
I wouldn't even think of trying to top off a cartridge while driving.

I'll use a passthrough and carts and top off when I gas up.
It's about a 30 hour trip and I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes, so 4 carts should do it.

There are no nifty tricks... please just pull over, get a soda, stretch, gas up, top off, clean-up and be on your way.

Coyote041

Feb 22, 2009
I'm gonna agree with you, Cage. As a two pack-a-day smoker, I'd like to move to this media. I did enough stupid stuff when I was young, I'd rather take the time and be prepared for instances like this.

It's a scary thought.
I drive to PA every Spring and back to AZ in the Fall.
This will be the first year I'll make the trip without cigarettes.
I wouldn't even think of trying to top off a cartridge while driving.

I'll use a passthrough and carts and top off when I gas up.
It's about a 30 hour trip and I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes, so 4 carts should do it.

There are no nifty tricks... please just pull over, get a soda, stretch, gas up, top off, clean-up and be on your way.

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
I spend most of my day in my car for work (when I sued to have lots of work) and I have seen people do lots of really dumb and dangerous things while driving. I have been forced off the road by these kinds of people so first I have to give a disclaimer: I am not suggesting messing with your carts while driving. I am giving an answer based on theory and I view this question as a purely hypothetical situation. This is a reckless and stupid act. And I do not expect anyone to ever try it. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ACT. It might get you or someone else KILLED.
Ok now that my .... is covered....

Syringe? I don't have one. I just top off directly from the bottle. How would a Syringe make it easier?

Sorry for the delayed response
The syringe (with a completely dull needle. A flexible nylon needle is best either that or a curved tip is the safest.) will help because you only need to concentrate on getting the needle or tip into the cart for a moment. Once you get used to using the syringe you will be able to top off or refill your cart without even looking. If I had to top off in a car I would only use a curve tip syringe to avoid the possible heart attack blues from stabbing myself with the needle.:p

ritalee76

ECF Veteran
Maybe I'm a rebel...

But I top off while driving all the time :D

And talk on my phone and yell at my kids and all kinds of stuff...

My method:
1. Knee driving
2. Remove cartridge, place on console
3. Place rest of e-cig on console
4. Hang up my phone
5. Dig in purse for usb/e-cig case
6. Dig through various bottles to find the one I want
7. Unscrew said bottle
8. Pick up cartridge, drip a drop or two. Return to console
9. Pick up rest of e-cig. Drip on atomizer.
10.Re-assemble e-cig
11.Return bottle and case to purse
12.Vape away
13.Fix my lipstick, make sure hair is okay
14.Resume safe driving

he he
okay maybe its not quite that bad but really it can be done. :D

Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread