Kanger Protank question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Protank from fasttech about 10 days ago. Using it with an Itaste v3.0 VV/VW battery. And it seems like no matter what voltage or wattage setting I use, no matter how low I go, it has a slight burnt flavor to it that I am not getting with an iClear 16 or a Vivi Nova V4, or even a CE4. Could I just have a bad coil in it? I've been cleaning out everything with vodka when i try out a new flavor of eliquid. I can't imagine how, but could that be hurting it? I LOVE how the thing looks, but i could use some advice. HELP! lol

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Change the coil and see if the bad taste goes away. If it does, then you know. If it doesn't, let us know and we can pursue from there. Coils do get gunked up with carbonization and caramelization and cannot be cleaned after a certain point. juice is also a factor. I replace my coils twice a week, but that's because of my juice, not my vape at 7 Watts. Try it and let us know.

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
Soak them in vodka, then taken them apart and remove one if the three wicks. Theirs videos on YouTube on how to do it, 5 mims process. Start lower than move up to a higher voltage.

This. If you have had a burnt flavor from the beginning try removing one of the flavor wicks. It makes a huge difference with some coil heads.

ok, watched a video. i don't have a fancy 510/ego connector ohmmeter like the video guy did, but i figure a 4-wire resistance measurement with one of my uber lab bench system dmm's should do. (unless, of course, the coil resistance must be measured with significant current going through it, in which case i plead newbie.) both the burnt tasting one and the replacement measure a hair under 2.4 ohms. took the burnt tasting one apart, and it ~looked~ a little burnt. took the new one, pulled out a thread from the wick, washed it in vodka, dried it a bit, filled and reassembled protank. the itaste says its 2.2 ohms after one draw at lowest setting possible of 6W. bring it up to 6.5W so i'm getting ~some~ vapor, and it tastes fine after 25 draws. put a pipe cleaner down the tube as a dip stick to check if any flooding was happening due to wickige removal, and its fine. so maybe this protank just needs wick and coil replaced much more often than the iclear 16's, along with a bit less wick than what is supplied. or i toasted the other wick with too much wattage when i was initially playing around. either way i'll know more after a couple hundred puffs. it's such a pretty tank... ;)

on a really good note, though, now that i watched a video, i know just how stinkin easy it will be to rebuild this thing and play around with my own coil resistances. does 30AWG or 32AWG kanthal wire sound right? the guy on the vid was using 32AWG, and 2.5mm silica wick. 2.5mm? is that right? weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

thank you all fine peeps! :)

jkarlson

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States
what if your using 3.0v at 10 or so watts? will that burn it out faster too?

Depends on the device you're using. But 10 watts seems a bit high for a wick system. But hey, if it ain't burnt don't fix it. Orrrrrrrrr switch over to mech mods and dripping muahaahhahahahahha. You'll never be able to go back to cartos and clearos again!

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
Depends on the device you're using. But 10 watts seems a bit high for a wick system. But hey, if it ain't burnt don't fix it. Orrrrrrrrr switch over to mech mods and dripping muahaahhahahahahha. You'll never be able to go back to cartos and clearos again!

im still a newbie and several people have told me not to mess with mech mods for a while... so this was before i found this site. right now im using the SmokTech SID vape. I only use 10 watts for 1 of my flavors cuz i find it requires a higher wattage to get the full flavour. For most of my other flavors I usually stick around 8 watts, and im also using 2.2ohm coils, would you recommend using 1.8ohm coils? Id appreciate some advice. thanks

Cheers, Matt

sturat5150

Jul 28, 2013
Denton, Tx, USA

I have to agree with jkarlson on this one, I have had no luck with Protank wicking above 7.5 watts, any higher and I get dry hits.

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
I have to agree with jkarlson on this one, I have had no luck with Protank wicking above 7.5 watts, any higher and I get dry hits.

yeah but i guess it also depends on the eqliuids your using. for me most of my liquid work at 7.5-8 watts, the one flavour seems to need a little more

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
My protanks always had the dreaded burning taste when I used the heads they came with. After rebuilding them using 3mm silica, the burnt taste was no longer a problem. I've been building them to be about 1.7 ohms and I lower the vv or watts considerably with pretty good results.

ive switch all mine to 2.2ohms and using around 7.5-8watts. when they burn out ill use the 1.8ohm coils. when you adjust the VV what do your normally use with your 1.7ohm coil? and what would you adjust your wattage to with the 1.7ohm coil? just curious

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
ive switch all mine to 2.2ohms and using around 7.5-8watts. when they burn out ill use the 1.8ohm coils. when you adjust the VV what do your normally use with your 1.7ohm coil? and what would you adjust your wattage to with the 1.7ohm coil? just curious

If you like the vape at 7.5 to 8.0W, then keep it at that setting. If you are using variable wattage it won't matter whether you are using a 2.2 ohm coil or a 1.7 ohm coil; the mod will output the correct voltage to achieve that power setting.

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
I am new to the forum, and I have a noob question about the Protank. There is a small plastic cover for on the atomizer. Do I have to remove that before use?

If you are talking about the silicone cap that sits right above the wicks and is mounted on the center post don't touch it; that prevents leaking. If you're talking about something else please clarify so we can help you out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread