VapeOnly BCC Mega vs ProTank (1 and 2) flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indoorsindica

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
cathedral city, CA, USA
Yes. But the vapeonly bcc has push in heads and plastic tank, and many other issues the protank doesn't. You can play with the protank and recoil it with thicker wick, looser coils, and no flavor wick which makes it much better. Or you can try removing 1 or 2 of the 2 or 3 flavor wicks sitting on the coil (carefully). Or you can try the other prebuilt atomizers for novas that have a shorter shaft than the protank attomizers.

seeber

May 7, 2013
Los Angeles
Yes. But the vapeonly bcc has push in heads and plastic tank, and many other issues the protank doesn't. You can play with the protank and recoil it with thicker wick, looser coils, and no flavor wick which makes it much better. Or you can try removing 1 or 2 of the 2 or 3 flavor wicks sitting on the coil (carefully). Or you can try the other prebuilt atomizers for novas that have a shorter shaft than the protank attomizers.

Only if the Vapeonly was in pyrex.

I've tried removing a wick and that only made it leak. I'm using 50/50 juice.

Thanks for the tips though.

You can use vivi nova heads in the protank?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I got a vapeonly bcc mega and what a piece of crap. Right off the getgo it doesn't feel like there is any quality to it, got to the press fit heads thinking I'd get maybe a couple days before it leaked and I was right, day and a half on my first tankful and it started to leak. Vape quality is horrible, it just didn't produce good vape.
So...I cleaned it, put it back into the box and shoved it into a back corner to never use it again.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have both but the ProTank II is the best I've found in 3 1/2 years of trying just about every device on the market.:)

I can't stand the vape of the Protank... It's so airy that with very light colored liquids (HHV DD Watermelon 60/40) I have to vape a 2.1 ohm head at 12 W to get any vapor... I regret having bought it.

On the other hand, do you REALLY need a glass clearo? I never had a tank crack, and I use plenty of citrics. I don't mind the pull heads, and the rectracting positive on the bottom makes it foolproof against bad contacts. While protank heads I had a batch were shorter, and I have to pull the pin. It's incredible how some things are a matter of luck.

texandziggy

Verified Member
Mar 6, 2009
Vermont
+1 for the Vapeonly. I've been using two since pretty much the week they first became available. Zero leaking issues with mine. Bought a Protank when they came out because everybody was raving about them. I tried, I really tried, to like it. Used it for a week. Didn't like the airy draw or the attached drip tip, and really didn't like how it muted the flavors compared to the Vapeonly. Ended up putting the Protank in the drawer and went back to the Vapeonly.

Bought a Puritank when they came out, again, because everybody was raving about them. Tried Protank and Evod heads on it. Like the Protank I tried really hard to like it. But, just like the Protank, I found the flavors to be really muted compared to the Vapeonly. The Puritank is in the drawer right next to the Protank.

The Vapeonly almost seems like the red-headed stepchild of the clearo world and I just don't get that. The Pro and the Puri seem to get all the attention. I agree that the build quality of the Vapeoly isn't as flashy as the other two but, after several months, my original two are still vaping like champs. I get two to three weeks from a head but I also don't really use any juices that are known to gum up heads. And, like others have said, I've never had a plastic clearo crack so I don't really need a glass one either. Apart from removing one wick on the Vapeonly (which is pretty much essential) I have no complaints.

I honestly think that if more people gave the Vapeonly a shot instead of automatically going for a Pro or Puri, they'd be a helluva lot more popular.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I can't stand the vape of the Protank... It's so airy that with very light colored liquids (HHV DD Watermelon 60/40) I have to vape a 2.1 ohm head at 12 W to get any vapor... I regret having bought it.

On the other hand, do you REALLY need a glass clearo? I never had a tank crack, and I use plenty of citrics. I don't mind the pull heads, and the rectracting positive on the bottom makes it foolproof against bad contacts. While protank heads I had a batch were shorter, and I have to pull the pin. It's incredible how some things are a matter of luck.

I'm more concerned with the leaching than the cracking. I also like the easy draw so they work great for me. We are all different though so what works good for one doesn't necessarily work good for someone else.:)

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm more concerned with the leaching than the cracking. I also like the easy draw so they work great for me. We are all different though so what works good for one doesn't necessarily work good for someone else.:)

The Vapeonly doesn't leak, the bottom is completely sealed except for two tiny air holes. I've had an eVod leak all over the place. I hope iSmoka (in europe it's said that it's Joyetech) keeps on making them, with some minor improvements on the heads!

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
"Muted" flavor has nothing to do with different devices. Sure, an airy draw will affect things and some may not like the PT-1 for that reason. PT-1 ended up being trash because of the epoxy glue issue. I had chest pains and trouble breathing from inhaling that crap and wouldn't take 500 PT-1's for free.

Anyways, muted flavor. Why does a wick "gunk up"? What exactly is gunking up the wick? Flavor molecules. The wick acts like a filter. So, some wicks let more flavor through and some "mute" it more (filtering out the flavor). It's the wick, people. There's literally no other explanation. These devices are dirt simple and could've/should've been invented 50 years ago...

Same reason a dripping atty is more flavorful. The juice is dumped on top of the wick instead of all going through the wick and filtering out a lot of flavor.

Btw, PT-2 on a Provari is a tight draw. Don't know how it behaves on anything else though. A big plus with kanger heads is that they don't choke the wick with the coil. You can easily pull out the silica and replace with cotton or whatever you want.

Last edited:

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
Oh well, if you don't remove wicks they don't... I remove wicks.

Remove a silica flavor wick, put the head back together with the silicone cap, and then LOOK at it. You see that big gap? =Leaking

Not trying to be rude, but come on peoples...just look at what's going on with these things. Cotton will expand unlike glass fibers, which is another reason it's ideal over silica (IMO).

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Remove a silica flavor wick, put the head back together with the silicone cap, and then LOOK at it. You see that big gap? =Leaking

Not trying to be rude, but come on peoples...just look at what's going on with these things. Cotton will expand unlike glass fibers, which is another reason it's ideal over silica (IMO).

If it's too tightly packed, removing wicks leaves room for the others to expand. I don't remove full wicks, I pick a tiny bunch with a pair of tweezers. Every couple of weeks I take all of my heads (evod, T3, vapeonly and Protank), open them up and insert a single 1.5 mm of silica wick. Most have 2 or 3 pieces of 1mm wick, so 1.5 is the middle of the road. Works great with 70/30 juices and with 60/40 some more strands have to be removed.
I used cotton thread instead of silica when I didn't have any, and I don't like the way it vapes. I make my iGo L coils with a bow, so I have 4 wicks crossing the coils and feeding off the bottom of the atty. I have plenty flavor from my bottom coils, as a matter of fact, I do also beleive that the flavor is retained inside the wicks. But when saturated, the flavor wicks are the ones that give you the best flavor, not the ones inside the coil.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I've been removing half the flavor wicking from Protank coils, and haven't had ANY leaking.
Not real thick juice either - I just get more/better flavor/vapor that way.
It IS still a little airy...
This is a ProTank 1, (well a 1 and a 1.5 - with the internal bridge and one less airhole).
With the PTank MINI, I haven't found it necessary - they're fine right out of the box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread