Ohm difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonJim

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Las Vegas
A 2 Ohm coil at 4.4 Volts will produce 2.2 Amps and 9.68 Watts. A 1 Ohm coil at 4.4 Volts will produce 4.4 Amps and 19.36 Watts. The more current(Amps) being used will drain your battery faster. The more Power(Watts) being used will create more vapor.

Thats a great simple answer, what a lot of people wanted to know.

So for example, if I had a tank with 2.0 ohm coil and my sweet spot, (prime vape) is at 4.0 volts. (I have a simple VV device)

If I get a 1.8 coil do I turn the volts down to get the same vape?

And if I get a 2.2 ohm I turn the volts up?

I was hoping to get a simple answer, sorry but I'm just too tired after work to take an advanced electrical course to fully grasp OHM's law. So with those two questions, can I get a plain answer, or do I need to go back to school? I'll understand if its not possible just to get a yes or no to these.

Topdogie01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Illinois, United States
So for example, if I had a tank with 2.0 ohm coil and my sweet spot, (prime vape) is at 4.0 volts. (I have a simple VV device)

I was hoping to get a simple answer, sorry but I'm just too tired after work to take an advanced electrical course to fully grasp OHM's law. So with those two questions, can I get a plain answer, or do I need to go back to school? I'll understand if its not possible just to get a yes or no to these.

your sweet spot is at 8 watts.

you would turn it down to 3.8 (actual number is 3.79, but i dont think you can dial it that precicely.)

you would turn it up to 4.2 (again, actual number is 4.19)

in the morning look up ohms law and double check my numbers, then use random numbers.

Topdogie01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Illinois, United States
Cool,thanks for the explanation. I'll order some 1.8 and give them a try for my evic I just ordered.

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

with your evic, hold the scroll wheel (dial? i think of it as a wheel..) to the left to change the display of puff counter/remaining on battery - time/date - volts / ohms. hold it to the right to change between Varible Voltage - Variable watt (better as it adjusts volts finer that you can in VV mode) - RVV (use computer to set changing voltage while firing, such as start high to warm the coil then drop to your sweet spot, or low and end with a warmer vape) - RVW (same thing but watts)

i love my evic. i use 6.0-8w depending on juice.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada

Yes, that is what I do, OHMS law and I are not on friendly terms, here is a safe vaping chart that might be helpful:

http://www.ecigadvanced.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/power.jpg

What I normally do is add 2 volts, so if my coil is 2.4 ohms, I set my volts at 4.4 and if my coil is 1.8 ohms then I set the volts to 3.8.
This pretty much gives me the vape I like, sometime I go up a little or down a little , the chart will tell you what is safe. :)

What about ohms ? Can someone explain the difference in the ohms in coils. Like why the difference and I guess that will help me what to get for my pro tank. Also what is dry burn ?

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

Very cool, someone is asking questions about what I specialize in. I'm a computer engineer, but majored in Electrical Engineering before I changed over...

Anyway, like the previous post, ohms is resistance, meaning the higher the ohm rating, the less electricity goes through. So putting all this in simple terms...the lower the ohms, the more electricity flows, the hotter the burn (per say). Higher ohms just means there is more resistance, less electricity flow, lower burn in the coil.

I find that I like the lower ohm coils because I want it to burn faster/hotter. One thing though with lower ohms. Because more electricity is flowing through the coil, your batteries will last for a shorter time. So the higher the ohm, the more resistance, less electric flow, you use less of the battery.

Hope this helps...

jangeisler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Denmark
For more vapour; low ohms or high voltage. Same-same.
Equipmentwise, high ohms and high voltage are better, because this gives you the same watts at lower amps.

Higher amps need thicker wires and can fry circuit boards and wires. This you can see an example on, as high current wires are not very thick and transports a lot of watts. (High voltage, low amps)

Unless youre on mech mods, i'd choose a higher resistance, 2,0+ ohms, and adjust the voltage.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory

Hi, incoming Rawr
predator17.gif

Your "sweet spot" isn't your volts, it's your watts. Volts are a measure of input, what your battery is supplying. Watts are a measure of output, the power that is being produced.

If you have 2.0 ohm coil and the volts set at 4.0 - it is producing 8 watts.

So, 8 watts is your sweet spot. Keep in mind, Twist and Spinner type of batteries adjust in increments of .2; bigger mods (at least mine) adjust increments of .1. Since you said your device is "simple," I'll guess it adjusts in .2.

To (roughly) stay at your 8 watts sweet spot:

1.8 ohm coil/4.0 volts ≈ 8.8 watts
1.8 ohm coil/3.8 volts ≈ 8.0 watts
1.8 ohm coil/3.6 volts ≈ 7.2 watts

2.2 ohm coil/4.0 volts ≈ 7.3 watts
2.2 ohm coil/4.2 volts ≈ 8.1 watts
2.2 ohm coil/4.4 volts ≈ 8.8 watts

These numbers are based on an equation, but we are humans not robots. We vape by taste, not numbers. The only time I pay attention to equations or charts is when I am deciding what resistance attys or cartos to buy. After that, I don't care anymore. I set my device in the range I know I like and dial up or down from there. I don't like all of my juices at the same power level and I have some I prefer warmer or cooler throughout the day. I'm always fiddling with something.

Since your sweet spot is around 8 watts, a simple way to get a starting point is by adding 2 to the ohms and setting the volts to the resulting number; you then adjust to your liking.

2 + 1.8 ohms = 3.8 volts - set the battery at 3.8 volts = 8.0 watts
2 + 2.0 ohms = 4.0 volts - set the battery at 4.0 volts = 8.0 watts
2 + 2.2 ohms = 4.2 volts - set the battery at 4.2 volts = 8.1 watts
2 + 2.5 ohms = 4.5 volts - set the battery at roughly 4.5 volts = 8.1 watts (Roughly, because with a simple VV the marks go from 4.4 to 4.6)

Sorry to be longwinded and repetitive, but I wanted to be clear without shoving a power wheel down your throat. You will notice that I specifically left amps out of the calculation. For those who wish to flame me at this point, I know how to calculate amps, but I don't give a flying fruit bat about amps. I vape, the battery blinks, I charge it, I vape again. When the battery ultimately dies, I buy another one.

When I make toast, I put the bread in then set it somewhere between light and dark. I don't care what the settings do to the toaster.

ETA: Oops! This is really repetitive! None of the other posts were here when I started typing mine. :blush:

Last edited:

BostonJim

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Las Vegas
First, thank you all for answering my question in the simplest way you could. I know it was not a simple question to answer.

When it comes to the equation of ohms a lot of us just see a lot of numbers that are too complicated to deal with. These answers you all posted are just what I needed. I’ll be saving this thread for future use.

So thank you all for your help. JIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread