What MOD is best in terms of ohm checking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djezewski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Wayland, New York, United States
I had almost the same question. I would like to know which Mod can read sub ohms(I am not making about using it to vape with) I had a $40 multimeter from Radio Shi* that I bought last week and returned it as it was too touchy and only could read sub ohms as a short. So now I have $40 toward a Mod. Any info would help.

EzFreee

Aug 4, 2013
United States
Ive been using a fluke multimeter for 22 years as a mechanic,sometimes on 600+ volts ac current.i prefer the extra bells and whistles of the evic but its better to test twice with two devices or with a multimeter if you are building anything new and fun.

yes I looked into the fluke.. yikes! $$$ figured I could get an assortment of mods for the price of the 87 or 187. I do have a cheap MM but it's useless for attys. I saw the madvapes ohm checker box which ppl say is accurate. (always out of stock)

and ya Djezewski.. same question here about sub ohms.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
I can't speak for sub ohm checking because I won't build them, but the Provari's ohm meter has been documented to be extremely accurate and precise as good as any digital multimeter. Even PBusardo will check the resistance of a delivery device with the Provari instead of using a multimeter during his reviews.

a dna20 mod will be as accurate as anything and you can get one for a lot less than a provari-will also fire sub-ohm builds unlike the provari, zmax, vamo, etc. in that regard it is better than a mech.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
a dna20 mod will be as accurate as anything and you can get one for a lot less than a provari-will also fire sub-ohm builds unlike the provari, zmax, vamo, etc. in that regard it is better than a mech.
What you say is probably accurate, as you recommended the Shanmod in another thread. I'll repeat what I had to say there, here:

Probably great mods, no doubt, if you don't mind using a box mod. Nothing against box mods, I have a couple and like them myself. Not everyone does though.

DNAlunidnod is $194 and out-of-stock.

Gadget Duel 18650 for $135 is on pre-order

Gadget Hybrid is $146 and also on pre-order

You can get a new full warranty Provari as inexpensive as $140 in the clearance section should you wish, and get it within 3 - 4 days. All Provari's come with a 1 year warranty - I saw no mention of any warranty for the Shanmods. On the off chance a Provari needs repair, history shows you get the Provari back within a weeks time.

Not trying to stir an argument here, but Provape has a well deserved reputation for customer service and will service their product for as long as you own it. I have no idea what the customer service might be for Shanmods. If the mod maker is having issues catching up with orders and keeping stock up, makes me wonder how reliable and proficient he is in repairing his mods and getting them back to the owner.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
What you say is probably accurate, as you recommended the Shanmod in another thread. I'll repeat what I had to say there, here:

Probably great mods, no doubt, if you don't mind using a box mod. Nothing against box mods, I have a couple and like them myself. Not everyone does though.

DNAlunidnod is $194 and out-of-stock.

Gadget Duel 18650 for $135 is on pre-order

Gadget Hybrid is $146 and also on pre-order

You can get a new full warranty Provari as inexpensive as $140 in the clearance section should you wish, and get it within 3 - 4 days. All Provari's come with a 1 year warranty - I saw no mention of any warranty for the Shanmods. On the off chance a Provari needs repair, history shows you get the Provari back within a weeks time.

Not trying to stir an argument here, but Provape has a well deserved reputation for customer service and will service their product for as long as you own it. I have no idea what the customer service might be for Shanmods. If the mod maker is having issues catching up with orders and keeping stock up, makes me wonder how reliable and proficient he is in repairing his mods and getting them back to the owner.

A. shan is a she
B. her customer service is great
C. I was merely pointing out that there were cheaper(and yes, in my opinion) , better alternatives to a provari if you want an ohm meter in your mod. not everyone dislikes box mods and the fazedboxmod budget is more oval and feels better in my hand than a heavy metal round mod. again, just my opinion. I also like 2 18650 battery mods to give a lot more vaping time.
D. why do provari owners always quote the blemished price for a provari(when they are available in the desired style or color) and not the regular price? how about the accessories(extensions, end caps, beauty rings) you have to pay extra for? never mentioned......
E. there are quite a few tube dna20 mods just about or hitting the market right now. only time will tell, but from what I see and read, they will probably become the benchmark for tube mods. the futura looks to be especially promising......
F. of course you are trying to stir an argument here... no problem!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
why do provari owners always quote the blemished price for a provari(when they are available in the desired style or color) and not the regular price? how about the accessories(extensions, end caps, beauty rings) you have to pay extra for? ...... of course you are trying to stir an argument here...

No, you are wrong. I was not trying to stir up an argument. And I clearly stated that in my post.

I was merely pointing out that if someone is comparing the pros and cons between purchasing a Provari and a Shanmod that there are additional factors to consider besides just the mod itself. Customer service and the ability to get a mod repaired is an important but often overlooked consideration for any mod in this price range. Noticing that there were few actual mods in stock on the website naturally made me wonder if she has trouble keeping items in stock.

Low volume mod makers make their money selling new units and do not typically make money doing repairs under warranty, so making new mods to sell can be a higher priority to them than doing repair work. Unlike a higher volume mod maker who likely has a separate department to do just repairs. Is she so busy trying to catch up making new mods that it could affect how long it would take her to get a mod in need of repair returned in a reasonable amount of time? Apparently you've had experience with the mod maker and just confirmed that her CS is great. Good to know.

The immediate availabiliy of a mod is important to some buyers. You made a recommendation for a mod that is not currently available for immediate purchase and delivery. In counterpoint, I was explaining if they choose a Provari, they can get one in less than a week. With the Shanmod, it appears there could be an indefinite waiting period. True? I read all the time about potential buyers wanting a desired item and it not being availabe because of it being out of stock or having to wait for a pre-order. So this could be an important factor to take into consideration for a potential buyer.

Cost misconception. Some people always want to say that to purchase a Provari, it will cost that person at least $200 or more. That is not true at all and is a common misconception. Myself and other Provari owners know that, but many potential customers do not. That was my reason to bring up that anyone can get one for $140, not $200+.

Why do you assume that anything more than a basic Provari, even if it's a slightly blemished or a perfectly pristine 2.0 version, is desired by every potential Provari buyer? Not everyone wants a colored Provari, an LED display other than red, a battery extension cap, a beauty ring, etc. for their Provari. The vast majority of customers who have purchased the blemished models often can find no blemish.

In fact, most customers choose the basic Provari without those options, and the reasons are not often because of cost. Quite often they prefer the silver look, don't care what color the LED display is, never plan to use an extension cap, and don't care if the body design engraving is straight or swirly. V2.0 and V2.5 are exactly the same Provari's on the inside. I think it's great that Provape offers the clearance Provari's at reduced cost so that more people who want a Provari and whose finances are tight can more easily afford one.

The fact that third party vendors even create custom pieces for the Provari is a testament to it's popularity in the first place. A lot of people own a Provari, so this creates a financial incentive for manufacturers and encourages them to offer custom attachments for it. Otherwise the costs in manufacturing would be cost prohibitive and not be worth it to them. The fact the Provari is a tube form makes this even feasable.

Sorry if you misunderstood my intentions. I was only pointing out some things that some people never consider ahead of time or are not aware of. The way I see it, I was not giving out misinformation about either manufacturer nor bashing Shanmod.

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I found when building coils that the vamo is the best to have around. One button to check the ohms and does not fire, i also have a provari but it fires when getting to the ohms screen which can be tricky when working on a new coil...

Is the Vamo the only mod that doesn't fire the atty when checking ohms?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Is the Vamo the only mod that doesn't fire the atty when checking ohms?

I actually think the DNA20 is one of the few that you have to fire to read the ohms. In practice it's not a huge problem but I have found my Vamo actually reads coils better as the DNA20 will not read a coil under .6 ohms while a Vamo will (and with a single button press, all single-button interface mods I have seen take several button presses to meter ohms). The big problem with the Vamo I have (a V1) is that it sucks to get ego thread devices on it, if you can get them on at all. And of course it can't FIRE subohm coils.

So ... I dunno. I only have personal experience with the Vamo and I can say that a few times I have had to put a fresh coil on the Vamo when the DNA20 would not read it. But it's certainly not an ideal ohm checking device.

Last edited:

djezewski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Wayland, New York, United States
I just ordered a Sigelei Zmax V3 Kit - for Oms checking it says the following(since I want my coils to be over 1.2 that shouldn't be a problem)
Error Codes
LOR---Lower resistance indication;If the resistance is below 1.2ohm,the display will show "Low Load".
LOU---Lower voltage indication.If one 18650 battery voltage is below 3.4V or 2 18350 batteries Superposition voltage is below 6.4v,the display will show"Low Voltage".
WSC---Short circuit indication.If cartomizer/atomizer output port short-circuit,the display will show"Warning Short Circuit"

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
In theory a mod that fires the device would provide a more accurate resistance reading. The reason for this is that the heating element resistance would increase slightly as it's temperature rises due to the temperature coefficient.

How much this affects the voltage or wattage setting would be pretty minor in practice with such small heating elements.

A Vamo or SID will give a resistance reading that is more than close enough, I still recommend having a DVM and learn how to use it.

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
I have to agree, any DNA 20 based mod is great for checking your resistance. It's also one of the only devices that will fire just about anything that you put on it. With the imports though, the Vamo, iTaste SVD & MVP are probably the easiest devices to check your resistance. I always keep my trusty Radio Shack digital multimeter nearby just in case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread