How I wind a micro coil (with pics and tips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Guten Tag everyone!

I made a series of pictures to explain how I do my micro coils. This is not about the atomizer, or the wicking, just a possible way to create the coil itself.

I am using:

0.35mm Kanthal A (roughly 27 AWG)
A 1.5mm drill bit
A spring clamp I got very cheaply in a Home Depot like store. 4 of these cost roughly 3 dollars.

Before taking the pics I torched the wire twice to orange glow (use a blowtorch or a BIC lighter). I let it cool on the air (never quench).

This is what I used (Click enlarges pics, external link)

Holding the wire and the drill bit parallel...

... I catch both in the clamp, so that the wire is clamped down on the drill bit:

Then I create a 90 degree angle with the wire, as close as possible to the cheeks(?) of the clamp.

Then I start coiling, holding the wire quite tightly between two fingers, so that there is constant tension on the wire. I don't coil the wire around the drill bit, but I hold the wire and turn the clamp.

Turn the clamp and keep holding the wire. I am watching the spot where the wire meets the drill bit. I put a coil halfway on the last one, the coil will slide down onto the drill bit and will touch the last one.

This is how the result looks - I have not squeezed the coil yet, it is just naturally tight wound.

Without the clamp:

Ready made micro coil. This one has 0.6 to 0.8 ohms, depending on how long the legs will be.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers,
Chris

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
Guten Tag, Nice build and lovely coil. Thanks for sharing. I use to hate Germany because I was in the Army there and so far from home. After my service time expired I miss it so bad. The food was great and the beer is beyond great. I still drink Tucher to this day and I still long for a good Doppelbock. I think the list would be too long for the foods. I do want to say once you have a real German brat you'd want to find MR. J.......... and slap him for calling his product a Brat. Just my not so humble opinion and of course YMMV. You're very lucky to live there I miss your country.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Good job and nice pictures. This coil making has taken on a life of its own.....quite a fun hobby. Who knew there were so many fun "tools" to be acquired. I remember back in the beginning I'd search stores for things that would work for carrying cases, storage bins, etc., and I was always looking for things that would work as filler for carts (pyramid tea bags, blue foam, etc.)....and now I find myself on the lookout for tiny screwdrivers, handy clippers/scissors, 100% cotton threads, yarns, balls, etc. Now I might just have to go visit Lowes and see what kind of clamps they have.....

It's neverending......and always fun.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Don't buy any Rene Clamps...and you forgot buying stickers.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a Pyramid Teabag today.

:lol: I have a couple of boxes of Pyramid tea bags still. And they held tea I didn't even particularly like. Ha. And yeah, stickers. Forgot stickers. Back when (years ago) I was using eGo batteries, I would put little fingernail art stickers on my white eGo batteries. Go figure.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I'm lucky enough to be receiving this darkzero coil jig for making micro coils. He made it. It looks like anything the boy makes - well thought, bulletproof and highly functional. The stuff he dreams up is ridiculous :) can't wait to try it. I'll post some pix when I get it. Deazy is a beast :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why is it that Every Time I see something I Always ask myself...

"How could I do that Faster with a Cordless Drill?"

1.jpg

LOL

aarhus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
Why is it that Every Time I see something I Always ask myself...

"How could I do that Faster with a Cordless Drill?"

1.jpg

LOL

Hmmm.... there's a thought: Hook it up to a spindle and create a yard-long coil. Then, cut off the number of wraps needed when you want to change the coil. Take less than 30 secs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread