Is vaping causing congestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltommy

Sep 2, 2013
waldorf,md,usa
Hi all. Very 1st post and I've got a little bit of a concern.
1st my history.
I used to smoke 3 packs a day but cut it way back with nicotine gum.
When I say way back, currently I'm down to 3 cigs a day, 2 when I 1st wake up, the last usually on the drive home from work.
I usually don't evan smoke all of the 3rd one.
BUT, and here's the kicker.
I'm a heavy niccorette chewer. 30 or 40 pieces a day.
I know alot of it is from habit, and am working on cutting the gum back.
I've been at my current level for at least 5 years, so I don't think I've got problems with smokers cough or any of the other smoking related symptoms.

I bought a disposable e cig from a gas station the other day, I figured I'd see what it was all about and maybe I could find an alternative to my 3 "analogs". I was awe struck. It really felt like smoking, well pretty damn close anyways.
I like the way the disposable tasted, so I went ahead and bought a starter kit (it was Blu, I know there not well thought of here but it was conveniant) the next day and have been using them. I killed the disposable, it last 2 days.

NOW to my question/concern.
I think I feel congested. The way I used to feel when I smoke 3 packs a day.
Is this just me?
Am I imagining it or maybe come down with something.
I'd really like to quit with the analogs completely and possibly use vaping to cut back on the gum. The price of gum is getting ridiculous and I'm blowing ALOT each month on it.

So anybody else notice congestion when they started vaping?

Thanks
Tommy

szot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Not familiar with disposeable blues but stop them and see if the congestion goes away...some ppl have an allergy reaction to the PG used in liquids which I presume could very well be in the blues..its not common but it does happen...also maybe the combo of nic gum and the blues could be the culprit, so I would definitely put away the blues and see what happens...and its also very possible U may just be coming down with a common cold...

Last edited:

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Hi, yes I did; In my case it was due to the ecig liquid composition.

Eliquid is normally made of 2 major components, propylene glycol (PG) and glycerol (VG), roughly half-half (plus some water)

Basically I was sensitive to PG, so as soon as I've started using VG - based eliquids the symptom disappeared.

Not to say your case must be like mine, but if I were you I'd test for PG and/or VG sensitivity.

In your case I'd also consider the possibility that between nico gums and ecig you're assuming too much nicotine. You didn't say whether the ecig you've tried did contain nicotine though...

(...)
Is this just me?
I'd really like to quit with the analogs completely and possibly use vaping to cut back on the gum. The price of gum is getting ridiculous and I'm blowing ALOT each month on it.

Thanks
Tommy

candimccann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
Lenexa, KS, US
www.youtube.com
Blu is 100% VG. High VG can cause some people to get congestion and 'heavy chest'. Doesn't mean that you can't handle VG, just not high VG. From what I've read of other people's experiences, most that were sensitive to high VG find that as long as the VG is kept below 50 or 60% they are good.

Since you vape so little, I doubt you are looking to replace everything with new hardware and start filling your own. You'll need something compatible that isn't so high in VG. This is a company that makes a Blu compatible carto and has a wide flavor selection, but uses a mix of PG and VG, so it might be better for you congestion-wise. I have not ordered from them, but have heard positive reviews of their flavors.
FAQ'S

Good Luck

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
Dollars to donuts it's your lungs clearing out from years of smoking. It took me almost a month to fully clear up my lungs. On the last morning of it about 2 hours after I got up I coughed up almost a mouthful of phlegm, spit it out, and I've been clear ever since. No bronchitis and very few colds, maybe one a year or so and of short duration.

jclifford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
salem nh
new suggestion for you, I chewed the gum for more than 15 years. I am currently into my dentist and oral surgeon for an awful lot of money. My dentist is the one that got me into vaping. Try 80/20 PG/VG, or try 80/20 VG/VG or whatever it takes but get off the gum.

I play with DIY but I know some suppliers will vary the pg/vg mixture for you.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Welcome to ECF and best of luck finding some sort of vaping gear and nicotine liquid that works for you.

Blu's are 100% VG. For some people a high percentage of VG will cause a feeling of heaviness in the lungs. NJOY doesn't say what their PG/VG ratio is but their NJOY King disposable tastes like it has a fairly high PG to VG ratio. You might want to try one of those to see if you get the same sort of congestion.

Some people are allergic to some flavorings. Congestion is a very common allergy symptom. Also, some people are allergic to PG but those symptoms are usually along the lines of irritation rather than congestion.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
1st my history.
I used to smoke 3 packs a day but cut it way back with nicotine gum.
When I say way back, currently I'm down to 3 cigs a day, 2 when I 1st wake up, the last usually on the drive home from work.
I usually don't evan smoke all of the 3rd one.
BUT, and here's the kicker.
I'm a heavy niccorette chewer. 30 or 40 pieces a day.
I know alot of it is from habit, and am working on cutting the gum back.
I've been at my current level for at least 5 years, so I don't think I've got problems with smokers cough or any of the other smoking related symptoms.

I bought a disposable e cig from a gas station the other day, I figured I'd see what it was all about and maybe I could find an alternative to my 3 "analogs". I was awe struck. It really felt like smoking, well pretty damn close anyways.
I like the way the disposable tasted, so I went ahead and bought a starter kit (it was Blu, I know there not well thought of here but it was conveniant) the next day and have been using them. I killed the disposable, it last 2 days.

Is this just me?

Thanks
Tommy

I, too tried Blu for a long time. Their stuff made me cough and get congested. Their liquid is 100% VG (vegetable glycerine). I've read of about people being sensitive to PG (Propylene Glycol) but not VG. Weird. When I upgraded to an Ego-T system with a tank and started using mostly PG juices, I haven't had the problem since. I think the VG is what did it to me, and that is why Blu didn't work for me.

When I first started vaping I got congested and my throat killed me for a few days. I switched juices (I was smoking a menthol heavy juice) and eased up on how often I was vaping until it went away. I'm not sure what exactly caused the throat and congestion issues but once I eased up on the menthol that seemed to help a lot.
Hope you find something that gets you feeling better!!

kbf101998

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Brentwood, Tn, USA
Right after I started vaping --I had a little congestion that was not usual for me. It cleared up after about two weeks without any analogs at all. In the very beginning--I still smoked about 3 a day while vaping--once I stopped the analogs it began to clear up.

I do think what the other poster mentioned about the lungs clearing up might also have been a bit of a factor.

Last edited:

liltommy

Sep 2, 2013
waldorf,md,usa
First, DAMN! thats a lot of helpful replies, fast! I lost the thread and couldn't reply back.
It gave me time to do some research anyways.
I've already ordered some more liquids that I was going to refill the blu carts with. As others have said the blu's are 100% VG. Maybe my body doesn't like that. I've also found a local vendor I plan on visiting this weekend. Going to go ahead an get an ego type device and see what kind of fluids he has.
And am going to try to lower the nic level also.
I'll update and let yall know how it goes.
I really want this to work. I'm down to 1 cigarette a day from 3 or 4(I wasn't going to have one this morning but can't let the rest of the pack go to waste :) ), and cut the nicorette down 90%.

new suggestion for you, I chewed the gum for more than 15 years. I am currently into my dentist and oral surgeon for an awful lot of money. My dentist is the one that got me into vaping. Try 80/20 PG/VG, or try 80/20 VG/VG or whatever it takes but get off the gum.

I'm happy to see that someone else is going through what I did. I somehow felt like I was going backwards, but the gum is starting to cost me a fortune and I don't think that chewing gum constantly is too good for the teeth.

Thanks all.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN

Your post kinda freaked me out a little. I'm weaning off the gum and vaping. I've only chewed it like 30 days now. I really don't like it much and I hop I won't chew it much longer..HOPE. My best friend that I introduced vaping to recently is a different story. She is addicted to nic gum and has chewed it for five years.

Approx what year did you notice it screwed around w/your gums & teeth? I know it's different for everyone, but I wasn't aware it could get real bad. This info can help me get off of it quicker and talk to my friend. She's slowly getting into vaping but she's got 10 yr old twins, busy and she still likes the gum cuz it's quick and easy and she can chew it w/the kids because, hey, it's gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread