Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
So a mech mod will allow you to vape with super low res coils.

Can someone tell me the pros and cons and why it seems so popular now?

Based on my limited understanding, it can be dangerous (overstressing the battery) and if you make your own coils you have to watch you don't short out anything.

It seems like "chasing the dragon", this quest for the most intense vape.

By vaping at such low ohms, doesn't it drain your battery faster? Resulting in the need to charge more often, and therefore in the long run, a decreased battery lifetime?

Also what are INR batteries? Are they similar to IMR batts?

Thanks.

aznzing03

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Can someone tell me the pros and cons and why it seems so popular now?
I personally vape sub-ohm because I like the big clouds, I prefer the taste, and I don't like taking primer puffs.
By vaping at such low ohms, doesn't it drain your battery faster?
It uses more of my batteries ampage which in turn yes drains the battery faster.
Resulting in the need to charge more often, and therefore in the long run, a decreased battery lifetime?
True. However if you think about the average battery charging life cycle(500 or so for AW IMR), and the fact that you can find batteries as cheap as $8 online, even charging twice a day, you'd have to purchase new batteries every about 8 months. I'm okay with that.
Also what are INR batteries? Are they similar to IMR batts?
No clue.
Thanks.

If you ever do get into a sub-ohm build, you'll be hooked like the rest of us. Chasing that cloud and glorious flavor!

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Just my $.02 but I went through a spectrum of vaping hardware before arriving at a mech and an RBA. Nothing vapes like a sub-ohm RBA in my experience. Nothing. If you have the right setup and observe the precautions with regard to the possible hazards you will be fine. Obviously it's not for everyone, but for some, like myself, it's just the logical progression on the road to vaping satisfaction.

fanatic205

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2012
birmingham al
It is no more dangerous than any other rebuildable at higher ohms. Most hi drain IMR safe chemistry batteries can handle the burst firing of a sub ohm coil. Imho I feel vaping on a ego battery and cheap clearo is more dangerous than on a rebuildable with a quality battery.

INR is a safe chemistry battery Nickel instead of IMR that are manganese chemistry.

Last edited:

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I've built some sub-ohm coils and yeah you get this giant cloud and all that.

I just don't understand why you want it. When you smoked you could have put 10 cigs in your mouth to make more smoke but you didn't. Why didn't you? Because the cloud size didn't matter.

People on ecf are getting nuttier and nuttier with this. I saw a guy post two days ago he made a .27ohm coil. When are these people going to be satisfied? When they can vape 30ml in 4 drags?

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I'm not at all a hardcore sub-ohmer, but my quest for a satisfactory vape (for me) lead me to mech mods and RBAs. Once I got to 0.8 ohms on a SS wick, I got the flavor and vapor production I wanted. For me it's not at all about blowing big clouds. It's about having a setup that responds quickly and lets me take shorter draws to get the amount of vapor I like. In away, it is to emulate the way I used to smoke cigarettes. Not sucking on them for 5 seconds ++.

I've been using this kind of setup for maybe 5 months now, and I have no need or want to chase a bigger dragon. Doubt I'll be doing multi-coil setups at all, or going lower on the ohms. I'm where I want to be.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I'm not at all a hardcore sub-ohmer, but my quest for a satisfactory vape (for me) lead me to mech mods and RBAs. Once I got to 0.8 ohms on a SS wick, I got the flavor and vapor production I wanted. For me it's not at all about blowing big clouds. It's about having a setup that responds quickly and lets me take shorter draws to get the amount of vapor I like. In away, it is to emulate the way I used to smoke cigarettes. Not sucking on them for 5 seconds ++.

I've been using this kind of setup for maybe 5 months now, and I have no need or want to chase a bigger dragon. Doubt I'll be doing multi-coil setups at all, or going lower on the ohms. I'm where I want to be.

This to me is a sensible approach to sub ohm. There's a reason for it other than visual appeal.

I keep mine around .7 or .8 when i do them. I don't drip at work so it's strictly for home use.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Just my $.02 but I went through a spectrum of vaping hardware before arriving at a mech and an RBA. Nothing vapes like a sub-ohm RBA in my experience. Nothing. If you have the right setup and observe the precautions with regard to the possible hazards you will be fine. Obviously it's not for everyone, but for some, like myself, it's just the logical progression on the road to vaping satisfaction.

THANK GOD!:blink:

"Sub ohm vaping" is a nice catchy phrase, but by itself means nothing. A -1 ohm coil in a Gennie Hybrid is pretty much the norm. That same coil in a RDA is a completely different vape. There is a lot more going on than just the resistance of the coil. Just rotate the cap on that nice RBA a 1/4 turn if you don't believe it.

To answer the OP, yes sub ohm vaping can be more expensive. You will use twice as much juice, and your batteries will only last half as long. That's just the price you pay if you wish to sub ohm vape.

I use mechanical mods & RDA's probably 2/3 of the time (and 1/3 VV with a dripping atty). The irony is that my mechanicals with RDA's tastes just like my VV with a normal atomizer. In the end, knowing HOW you want your vape to taste is all that matters, how you get there is completely secondary.

Last edited:

fanatic205

ECF Veteran
    Nov 5, 2012
    birmingham al
    Arnie H:10592957 said:
    If you haven't done sub ohm don't post about something you have no clue about. Just sayin

I'm posting about it to learn more and learn why the fascination with it.
    I not calling anyone out, most subohm topics have alot of people spouting mis information, when they have no clue what they are talking about. Im sure future post in this thread will prove my assumptions correct.

What good would it do for people trying the learn about sub ohm vaping, when some thread jockeys put their two cents of misinformation out there

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2013
    USA
    I come from fine cigars and pipes, where one doesn't inhale into the lungs, but can still get a huge dose of nicotine, especially from large ring-gauge cigars and wide-bowled pipes. Nothing in the vaping world except sub-ohm micro coil dripping (all day, one-handed with my REOs) satisfies me enough to smoke my stash only when I want to instead of when I NEED to. There's nothing inherently dangerous about sub-ohm vaping, but it is a range where a change of X ohms is a greater portion of total resistance and has a larger effect on current drawn from the battery.

Good batteries are everything. The AW IMR 18650 2000 mAH are rated for 10 amps continuous current and their 18650 1600 mAH are rated for 15C (15 x 1.6 AH) = 24 amps. I'm coming close to neither with a 0.5Ω micro coil (considering voltage under load). You need to use the continuous rating so you're covered in the event a fire button gets jammed down. With a mechanical, you'll notice the vape starting to decrease around 3.7 volts, where it's time to replace the battery with a freshly charged one.

While it would seem the higher current of lower resistance would mean more juice and battery charge consumed, the lower the resistance, the less often I hit it. Same with nicotine...the greater the concentration, the less often I hit it. For me, it's a wash. I can still go all day on one 18650 and 6 ml of 50/50 24 mg. Because the 0.5Ω fogs up a room (or vehicle) so badly, I use a 0.8Ω at work and when commuting, but wind up hitting it more often, so I use my 2000 mAH in that REO and my 1600 mAH in the home REO.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2013
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    www.bigtent.com
    While it would seem the higher current of lower resistance would mean more juice and battery charge consumed, the lower the resistance, the less often I hit it. Same with nicotine...the greater the concentration, the less often I hit it. For me, it's a wash. I can still go all day on one 18650 and 6 ml of 50/50 24 mg. Because the 0.5Ω fogs up a room (or vehicle) so badly, I use a 0.8Ω at work and when commuting, but wind up hitting it more often, so I use my 2000 mAH in that REO and my 1600 mAH in the home REO.

Very interesting, this may be true. I guess it depends on the person. I was speaking theoretically. The higher current drain should drain the batteries faster. I was a light smoker, and I find I'm satisfied with standard res. But if I am missing the vapor boat, I want in! Heh heh

skyztheLynnit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 7, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    I not calling anyone out, most subohm topics have alot of people spouting mis information, when they have no clue what they are talking about. Im sure future post in this thread will prove my assumptions correct.

What good would it do for people trying the learn about sub ohm vaping, when some thread jockeys put their two cents of misinformation out there
    Only sub ohmers can tell the future :laugh:

OK.. back on topic.. clouds man.. clouds.. vision temporarily impaired..

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I get better battery life with sub ohm, 5 sec drag vs a 13 sec drag on a higher ohm setup. I also vape less juice a day in a genny vs a clearo, larger cloud less i need to vape to get my nic fix.

If you haven't done sub ohm don't post about something you have no clue about. Just sayin

Just because someone says sub ohm isn't their style doesn't mean they haven't done it. Just sayin.

Also why would I want to take less hits? Hell, I lowered my nic content so that I could take more hits!
    Fact still remains that you would be pulling the trigger half as many times on a charge with sub ohm.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    No one is answering the question, so Ill put in my two cents.

The reason why sub ohm vaping is taking off is that it's the most flavorful, smoothest vape that I've encountered.

Sub Ohm Vaping requires Low Gauge Kanthal or Nichrome Coils [Kanthal A-1 Most popular]
    The coils are much thicker, they heat up slower than Higher Gauge Coils and they provide a different type of vaping experience.

I'm currently vaping on a
    Bogger Box Standard Bottom Feeder
    4-3 Wrap of 24 Gauge Wire for a .27Ohm Atomizer
    Reomizer 2 RBA
    Sony 30 Amp Battery providing around 4.4vv under Load

It's an excellent vape.
    Now I'm at around 40 Watts and the Amps it's pulling are 12 Amps.

The Sony will do 30 Amps, my panasonic High Drain will do 10 amps continuous and 16 amp burst.
    Since vaping is using burst mode, the majority of name LIMN brand batteries will support it and I'm operating within the spec of the battery.

Last edited:

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    No one is answering the question, so Ill put in my two cents.

The reason why sub ohm vaping is taking off is that it's the most flavorful, smoothest vape that I've encountered.

Sub Ohm Vaping requires Low Gauge Kanthal or Nichrome Coils [Kanthal A-1 Most popular]
    The coils are much thicker, they heat up slower than Higher Gauge Coils and they provide a different type of vaping experience.

I'm currently vaping on a
    Bogger Box Standard Bottom Feeder
    4-3 Wrap of 24 Gauge Wire for a .27Ohm Atomizer
    Reomizer 2 RBA
    Sony 30 Amp Battery providing around 4.4vv under Load

It's an excellent vape.
    Now I'm at around 40 Watts and the Amps it's pulling are 12 Amps.

The Sony will do 30 Amps, my panasonic High Drain will do 10 amps continuous and 16 amp burst.
    Since vaping is using burst mode, the majority of name LIMN brand batteries will support it and I'm operating within the spec of the battery.

i have a bogger coming this weekend will give this a try...though i agree with the guy above...i want to take MORE hits not less

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread