Kayfun v3.1 ES vs GG Ithaka vs GG Penelope - pick the best overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2013
Bay Area, USA
Hello,

I am new to vaping, but in my search for "the best" - I know it is subjective - overall rebuildable, it seems that kayfun v3.1 ES, GG Ithaka and GG Penelope are the top contenders. Money, form factor and looks aside, which one would you consider to be the best overall delivery system in terms of easy of use, reliability and taste/vapor performance?

P.S. By the way, out of three models, only one Kayfun is currently available. Is there a reason for it (something wrong with this particular model) or is it because the other two have a more popular finish/coating? I am asking because they are usually not in stock.

Thanks!

aycho

Apr 24, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
If you're a beginner, I'd suggest getting the SmokTech RSST or the AGA-T's since they're the best bang for your buck. Kayfun if you build it wrong, you can literally melt the insulator and the Ithaka and Penelope requires twisting non-resistance and resistance wires and requires patience and a lot of wire if it's your first time lol

But for best price, ease of use, performance, etc. etc., I'd go with the SmokTech RSST since it's only like 30 bucks and it performs well. I sometimes pick up my RSST and Natural mod over my Chi_You and Nimbus.

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
They're all good, as good as you can build them. They are all a bit different size wise and aesthetically so that is a consideration. It's really a best for you answer which nobody can give you.

I'd grab an igo-L and go from there. IMO a genesis is probably trickier than twisting non-resistance and resistance wire so the RSST might not be the best start. Igo-L is one wick, one wire.

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
I don't know guys. Why spend money on things that you will eventually replace with the good gear anyway? In my opinion, go for it! Grab a top line atty and be prepared to go to school to get the most out of it. Why buy four Hondas two Toyotas and then buy a Ferrari when you can just get a Ferrari to start with? There are also short cuts you can take as well. You can buy no res/ res wire already set up for you (from Cloud 9 for instance) for $1 a piece so no need to worry about how to twist it (which really is not that hard to learn anyway). This is not rocket science and there are tons of vids out there to walk you through things. For my money I would go for the Kayfun straight up. It is a genuine engineering masterpiece and a piece of cake to set up. I have the Ithaka as well but you are locked into silica with that. If you are fine with that no problem. With the Kayfun you can use ceramic (the hard ceramic kind which is my preference) as well as ss mesh or silica. The non-silica setups are more complicated but that is just little bit of learning you need to do. Forget the IGOs and AGAs and Jump in with both feet. Happy trails :).

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I still use my igo-l in spite of other high end things that I have. Drip rba's aren't incredibly complex so it's a good place to start. So while it isn't nearly as "nice" a unit as other things I have, I can still spend 2 minutes to wrap and install a coil then start dripping.

It's nice when I want a change of pace in my vaping but not necessarily 2-3ml of a change of pace.

So while I am not one to advocate buying mass quantities of cheap atty's, since I generally don't use them, an Igo-L is a pretty safe start that you can use without jumping in with both feet. The plus being, it's simple and it's easier for new people, who may or may not struggle at first to deal with their $17 atty not working than their $190 atty not workin. It's not rocket science but people have different aptitudes towards certain things, they may need to dip their toes.

xxbodkinxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Texas
Why buy a 150 dollar rba when you can get the same results with a 10 one. Build quality and the finish. Other then that your buying a status symbol. I have read all over the forums is 99% coil and wick build and 1% delivery device when it comes to rba. That being said once I get completely comfortable building wicks and coils I might take the plunge into a nicer rba but as of now in having a blast with my igo-l.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Why buy a 150 dollar rba when you can get the same results with a 10 one. Build quality and the finish. Other then that your buying a status symbol. I have read all over the forums is 99% coil and wick build and 1% delivery device when it comes to rba. That being said once I get completely comfortable building wicks and coils I might take the plunge into a nicer rba but as of now in having a blast with my igo-l.

Not true. Have you tried a Kayfun? Can you buy spare parts for your cheapo Atties? I constantly see threads of people looking for grommets or centre posts etc. It is false economy in the end. Very often they are defective out of the box. I have two AGAs (had an AGI as well but gave that away next day as soon as I determined it was crap with its spring center post). One of the AGAs was not threaded completely so you could not tighten the spacer down onto the deck. Ever had a real DID instead of a knock off? There is no comparison. They are precision craftsmanship with complete backup for spares. Claiming build quality is the same is a joke as those of us who own both know. If you think they perform as well you are entitled to your opinion and you might be able to tweak this and replace that to approximate the real deal but I will take an AC9 over an RSST or a DID over a AGA any day or a Kayfun over . . . just exactly what is a clone of a Kayfun (or an Ithaka for that matter) that you can buy for $10 anyway?

xxbodkinxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2013
Texas
No what I said above is you pay for build quality no doubt about it. I never disagreed about that one bit. What I was saying that most people who are getting into rba building couldn't tell the difference in vape between the two because almost all of what you get from a rba hinges on the build of the stick and coil. If you can't build a decent setup then you won't be able to reap the benefits of all high end rba

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
I can't speak on the kayfun as I have never used one.

The penelope works great. Holds about 3ml of liquid, very easy to refill as you just make sure the mouthpiece is closed take of the top cap and fill. Also cleaning coils is simple with dry burning. I have only done single coil builds on this, but have seen some do dual coil. Positive lead is heald in place by a nut, and the negative grounds out on the metal channel. Only downside is if you leave Resistance wire on the negative side ohms can fluctuate if it moves, but not an issue if you use wires with NR wire on each side. Very easy build and it is hard to mess up. By design you will pretty much have the coil directly above the air inlet. As someone said the kanthal does need nonresistance wire. Twisting wires is pretty easy, but I have found since fusing my wires I think my builds are better. Plus as someone said you can buy premade wires for a dollar a piece. Only leaking is if I leave the juice control open to much and it overwicks, usually I get that in the mouthpiece, so I just close juice control and tip upside down with a napkin in the mouthpiece some.

The ithaka works very well. larger then the penelope, as it holds about 4 ml of liquid. Very easy to refill again, just close mouthpiece and either take off top "nut" or the top cap to fill. Made to use either a single or dual coil. There is a plastic nut to hold and ground out the negative connection, which can help hold the negative in place if you do not have NR wire on the negative side as well. The positive lead is held in place by an oring that holds it very tightly when screwed into the base. The draw can be adjusted at any time, plus comes with the GG base built into a 510 base (which does add to its size.) In addition, there is a basic feed where you can let juice come to the coil without opening the mouthpiece and works great when just taking a vape here or there. Only leaking i have is if I leave the juice control open to much and it overwicks. Also, many of the these parts are compatible with the Odysseus, if you were to get one of those at least majority of parts are replaceable.

Hope this helps, I am sure there are a few things that I left out that I can't think of at the moment. As far as flavor I am not sure if there is a difference, that may just come down to coil/wick and overall build in my opinion.

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
I would have to go with the kayfun...much easier to set up..no twisting of wires for positive and negative connections and the taste of your ejuice is super..oh and its absolutely lighter then the others, hands down the kayfun wins!!!....lol
uploadfromtaptalk1368884213376.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk 2

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
I don't know guys. Why spend money on things that you will eventually replace with the good gear anyway? In my opinion, go for it! Grab a top line atty and be prepared to go to school to get the most out of it. Why buy four Hondas two Toyotas and then buy a Ferrari when you can just get a Ferrari to start with? There are also short cuts you can take as well. You can buy no res/ res wire already set up for you (from Cloud 9 for instance) for $1 a piece so no need to worry about how to twist it (which really is not that hard to learn anyway). This is not rocket science and there are tons of vids out there to walk you through things. For my money I would go for the Kayfun straight up. It is a genuine engineering masterpiece and a piece of cake to set up. I have the Ithaka as well but you are locked into silica with that. If you are fine with that no problem. With the Kayfun you can use ceramic (the hard ceramic kind which is my preference) as well as ss mesh or silica. The non-silica setups are more complicated but that is just little bit of learning you need to do. Forget the IGOs and AGAs and Jump in with both feet. Happy trails :).

I agree with you. Go big or go home. There is a reason they cost so much and compared to lesser versions there is no comparison. From the beginning I have always went with the higher end versions of all my equipment and I couldnt be happier. You get what you pay for. If your getting into RBA's then your not a basic vaper anyway and once you hold a Kayfun or the like in your hands and see the absolute beauty of them you will never go back. Worst case if you dont like it, you can sell it on the classifieds or trade it for something else on here. I write this as I am here vaping a Kayfun 3.1, this thing is a work of art. This is all just opinion of course. Plenty of people have no problems with lest costly versions of everything, but when I sit down and hang out at the vape lounge with, say my JM22 and a Kayfun..... I am at least the coolest person there. LOL Unless that guy with the Foggatti shows up........

tntmux

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2013
paris
If you're a beginner, I'd suggest getting the SmokTech RSST or the AGA-T's since they're the best bang for your buck. Kayfun if you build it wrong, you can literally melt the insulator and the Ithaka and Penelope requires twisting non-resistance and resistance wires and requires patience and a lot of wire if it's your first time lol

But for best price, ease of use, performance, etc. etc., I'd go with the SmokTech RSST since it's only like 30 bucks and it performs well. I sometimes pick up my RSST and Natural mod over my Chi_You and Nimbus.

Anyone knows what is this wrong build which can cause melting the insulater ring?? I just ordered a Kayfun and I definitely dont want to do this.

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
Anyone knows what is this wrong build which can cause melting the insulater ring?? I just ordered a Kayfun and I definitely dont want to do this.

I heard that you shouldn't go bellow .8ohms or something like that...
anyways I'm Ithaka any day of the week all year long over the KF.

floridaBMW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
S. Florida
Relatively speaking coil setup is damn near the same on the Kayfun as most drippers...no? I use silica mostly and my coil wrapping process is no different for either my Kayfun, IGO and AIOS. As someone mentioned why not go for the better atty. Both my Kayfun and Ithaka are absolutely awesome. I personally prefer the Kayfun as its a breeze to setup. I mean even a caveman can do it.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread