Status
Not open for further replies.

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
I think this needs to be done as I keep seeing people tell someone to try sub-ohm coils before micro coils.
Most of the time it is someone telling a noob to do it with no information about safety included and I don't want noone hurt, this will just scare someone off vaping and back on analogs and maybe get that story on the news also, so please help me get all the information in this one thread and to agree on it being a sticky thread.

Everyone that has tried either 1 or both needs to put their setup and pro's con's ect...

Here is a template
Micro or sub-ohm coil:
Device:
Battery:
Delivery device:
Coil type:
Wick type:
juice:

I already made a video for new people to learn to make micro coils, it is for a puritank/protank/evod coil head but can be for anything you want this just shows you how to make a micro coil really easy.

Last edited:

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
Micro or sub-ohm coil: micro coil
Device: provari v2.5
Battery: AW IRM 3.7V 2000mAH (7.4WH)
Delivery device: puritank running at 4.5 volts
Coil type: 32 gauge A1 kanthal, 2mm 3.5 ohms 9/10 wraps
Wick type: cotton
Juice: extreme ice from mbv 100% vg

Pro's:
Better vapor over normal coils and just as good or better then sub-ohm coils.
Better flavor over normal coils and just as good or better then sub-ohm coils.
This list goes on and on but I will let others add to this thread.

Con's:
Harder to make then sub-ohm coils but can be easy with a few things.

Last edited:

Hiding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I think this needs to be done as I keep seeing people tell someone to try sub-ohm coils before micro coils.
Most of the time it is someone telling a noob to do it with no information about safety included and I don't want noone hurt, this will just scare someone off vaping and back on analogs and maybe get that story on the news also, so please help me get all the information in this one thread and to agree on it being a sticky thread.

The 'safety' isn't in the coil. It's in the devices you can use it on. Being able to use a micro-coil on a regulated device, is the 'safety' advantage.
A mech with an unprotected battery is no more safe with a micro-coil then it is with a sub-ohm coil.

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
The 'safety' isn't in the coil. It's in the devices you can use it on. Being able to use a micro-coil on a regulated device, is the 'safety' advantage.
A mech with an unprotected battery is no more safe with a micro-coil then it is with a sub-ohm coil.

Yes but what do you think is better in taste at safe ohms/watts/volts/amps? Ok now what should be suggested since it taste the same or even better at safe ohms? Lets not say try sub-ohm on a mech with no other information as someone can be hurt, I just want new people to know both work great and that a noob can use micro coils at safe ohms and get the sub-ohm experience.

Hiding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Micro-coils aren't safe ohms tho. You are taking the fight on the wrong part of the setup.
If a new user is looking to get into RBA's instructing them to start off on a regulated device with good batteries is the place to start.

If they already have a mech and are going to be wrapping coils it doesn't matter which type micro or sub, the risks are the same. So checking for shorts and making sure the batteries are up to the task are the things to stress.

Hiding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Unprotected IMR batteries are accepted to be one of the safest ways to vape any mod. IMO, just saying 'an unprotected battery' is confusing.

Good catch I should have said unprotected li-ion, but that doesn't change my statement in anyway. The type of coil has no relevance on the safety.
Taking the time to check for shorts, and making sure that the batteries are rated for the amp draw is what is needed.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not to mention I believe a lot of people in the micro coil crowd are making sub-ohm micro coils. Someone please correct me if I got that wrong.

In the end it's not really the low resistance that gets scarey (though it is easy to believe the lower resistance coils are closer to a short), it's the amps drawn from the battery combined with the duty cycle. The battery does not know what the coil's resistance is.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
Micro or sub-ohm coil: Microcoil
Device: K-100
Battery: Panasonic CGR18650CH
Delivery device: IGO-L
Coil type: 28 gauge Kanthal 1ohm 8 wraps
Wick type: cotton
Juice: Various DIY at 50/50 ~15mg

Info- I haven't tried a standard sub-ohm silica setup. I have bookmarked an Ohm's Law Calculator to figure out amperage for the coils I make and match that to the proper battery with the proper chemistry and give myself a comfortable (to me) margin for error on the amperage draw. My experience is limited, but after researching what I thought as necessary I decided to venture into mechanical setups with the setup above.

Pros- incredible flavor, cotton wick I can pickup at any store in town, heavier gauge wire is easier to work with, minimalist coil and wick setup.

Cons- battery life, more stringent coil specs to try to get it perfect (maybe not needed, but if you're gonna do it, do it right, right?)

Last edited:

yo419g0tamin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
westland, mi
www.youtube.com
Micro-coils aren't safe ohms tho. You are taking the fight on the wrong part of the setup.
If a new user is looking to get into RBA's instructing them to start off on a regulated device with good batteries is the place to start.

If they already have a mech and are going to be wrapping coils it doesn't matter which type micro or sub, the risks are the same. So checking for shorts and making sure the batteries are up to the task are the things to stress.

Point is to teach new people micro coils first since most people start on regulated devices so they ain't in a giant rush to get to a mech and do sub-ohm coils to get the great vapor and flavor.

Papadragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Omaha Nebraska
You can protect and regulate a subohm load. But everyone knows that's not what it means when someone calls subohm dangerous and microcoils safe.

Our you speaking of this DNA 20 mod ? I vape 20 watts higher than that it would not satisfy me my set up is 2 posts up ohms law it if you need to

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You can protect and regulate a subohm load. But everyone knows that's not what it means when someone calls subohm dangerous and microcoils safe.

Most of the micro coil crowd are using them on regulated devices and they are built in the 1.5 - 2+ ohm range. It is the protected circuits in the regulated mods that make them generally safer since they have built in short protection and limits on the amount of power that can be drawn from the batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread