Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
with those tanks the tip is built in. originally the drip tip was made with a wide hole to drip juice into the atty or carto without removing it. but over time it has evolved into a way to customize your tanks by simply replacing the tip.

P9080115.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For most of our juice attachments, they need a mouthpiece. These mouthpieces are called drip tips in the vaping community. A little history is in order.

In the early years of vaping, there were no cartomizers or clearomizers, only atomizers. These are like today's cartomizers, but they had no filler material, just a bare heating coil. A mouthpiece was required to protect one's lips from possible splatter of vaporizing e-liquid. Since these juice attachments were called drip atomizers, the mouth piece was called a drip tip.

Today, the drip tip is as much of a decorative fashion accessory as it is pratical. Materials can be pyrex class, tru-stone, metal (stainless steel, anodized aluminum, titanium), ceramic, wood, and various forms of plastic.

sagewood_dt (1542).jpg hotvapes.jpg knuckleheadtip.jpg 510_Titanium_Wed_5011a285836ce.jpg

Last edited:

numba1quiter

Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
originally the drip tip was made with a wide hole to drip juice into the atty or carto without removing it.

sorry I don't think I really understand this. I know that currently drip tips are just used as removable mouthpieces. But I am genuinely curious about what they once were, and where they got their name.

So you're saying that the drip tip would drip the juice onto the atomizer but I'm having a hard time understanding this. Did the drip tips have a tank where it would hold the juice while it was dripped onto the atomizer?

Right now for the Kanger ProTank or the T2, the tip is a metal or plastic mouthpiece on top of a glass or plastic tank. The juice is stored inside the tank along with a coil, wick or heating unit, and this is all mounted on top of the battery. The juice goes from the tank to the heating unit where it is converted to vapor and sent to the tip where it is inhaled.

Are you saying that the juice used to go directly from the drip tip to the atomizer (or heating coil) where it was converted to vapor and would come back out of the drip tip? Where was the liquid stored then? It wouldn't make much sense if the juice was in a separate tank, then would go to the drip tip where it would be "dripped" onto the atomizer to be vaporized, just to be sent back to the drip tip again...

Sorry I"m just really curious where this vague term comes from. Whenever I look up drip tips you will see a lot of pictures of cool customized drip tips, and no actual dripping going on. I don't really see where these tips drip from, or where they drip into.

ephemerata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
So you're saying that the drip tip would drip the juice onto the atomizer but I'm having a hard time understanding this. Did the drip tips have a tank where it would hold the juice while it was dripped onto the atomizer?

Nope! The drip tip is just the mouthpiece. The reason it's called a drip tip is because after mounting the mouthpiece onto the atomizer, you could actually drip a few drops of your liquid directly through the hole in the mouthpiece and into the bottom of the atomizer. With "dripping," you're only able to put 2-7 drops of liquid in your atomizer. They made these drip tips to protect your mouth and to allow you to drop your liquid into the atomizer without removing the mouthpiece.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Right now for the Kanger ProTank or the T2, the tip is a metal or plastic mouthpiece on top of a glass or plastic tank. The juice is stored inside the tank along with a coil, wick or heating unit, and this is all mounted on top of the battery. The juice goes from the tank to the heating unit where it is converted to vapor and sent to the tip where it is inhaled.

Are you saying that the juice used to go directly from the drip tip to the atomizer (or heating coil) where it was converted to vapor and would come back out of the drip tip? Where was the liquid stored then? It wouldn't make much sense if the juice was in a separate tank, then would go to the drip tip where it would be "dripped" onto the atomizer to be vaporized, just to be sent back to the drip tip again...

Sorry I"m just really curious where this vague term comes from. Whenever I look up drip tips you will see a lot of pictures of cool customized drip tips, and no actual dripping going on. I don't really see where these tips drip from, or where they drip into.

atomizer-3.jpg atomizer.jpg

You apparently have never dripped on an atomizer, called dripping. Read my description above in previous post.

Since an atomizer has no filler material, only a few drops of e-liquid can be used at any one time. After vaping that amount, an additional few drops needs to be dripped into the atomizer to continue vaping.

ephemerata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
Here's a picture that'll show you what dripping looks like. The blue thing on the end of this picture is a form of drip tip set over an atomizer, and you drip the liquid directly into the atomizer without removing the drip tip. It looks a little different than other atomizers but it's the same concept:

http://www.vapebig.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/306andDripTIP.jpg

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
do you know what a dripping atomizer is?
drip a few drops into them get a few vapes and repeat?

Joyetech 510 Atomizer

when the removable tips first started appearing they had to be removed from the end of the atty so you could drip more juice into the atty, then you put the tip back on and took a vape.
instead of having to pull the tip every few puffs someone decided "why remove the tip" if we make the hole large enough you can just drip the juice right through the tip without getting it all over the place.

P9080118.jpg

now since you actually drip the juice THROUGH the tip they were referred to as "drip tips"

now they come in all shapes and sizes and are mainly for fashion as well as function

numba1quiter

Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
Here's a picture that'll show you what dripping looks like. The blue thing on the end of this picture is a form of drip tip set over an atomizer, and you drip the liquid directly into the atomizer without removing the drip tip. It looks a little different than other atomizers but it's the same concept:

http://www.vapebig.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/306andDripTIP.jpg

THIS was immensely helpful ephemerata. Thank you very much. I've saved that picture for future reference.

No I have never done that, and that would be a very difficult procedure to explain verbally, sans-picture. Thank you. This clears up all my questions.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
THIS was immensely helpful ephemerata. Thank you very much. I've saved that picture for future reference.

No I have never done that, and that would be a very difficult procedure to explain verbally, sans-picture. Thank you. This clears up all my questions.

I wrote a blog about dripping. It doesn't have many pictures, but it might explain it a little bit: Drip, Drip, Drip…

ephemerata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Austin, TX, USA

You're welcome! "Dripping" is really hard to explain. I was really intimidated by it for a while but now I love it.

numba1quiter

Jan 7, 2013
Los Angeles
You're welcome! "Dripping" is really hard to explain. I was really intimidated by it for a while but now I love it.

Yeah I'm just very curious about where that term comes from. To be honest I've asked a few people, including one person who runs a company producing juices and selling them online. I also asked somebody who worked at a vape store. None of them knew. My friend who owned the juice company told me that it's just a tip that you change out so your vape looks different from your friend's. I told her that couldn't be it, there had to be a reason for the term "drip tip".

A large percentage of people who vape just started vaping within the last year and have never encountered drip vaping. I'm sure that upwards of 80% of the people who use the term "drip tip" have no idea what drip vaping is. If you've never done that activity before, it's not immediately intuitive that you would ever do that.

Thanks for the information, it's been educational!

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
To me direct dripping juice to coil offers strong throat hit, strong flavor, and average vapor production. The first two are most important, to me. I'm just suprised the OP managed to vape 8 months with a T2 and no idea what a drip tip is? On my 8th month I was making a laterial shift from Provari's to Reos because bottom juice feeding box mods gave me the benefits of direct dripping, witout the mess (no drip shields, seperate bottles, papertowels/tissues etc).

RHP

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
To me direct dripping juice to coil offers strong throat hit, strong flavor, and average vapor production. The first two are most important, to me. I'm just suprised the OP managed to vape 8 months with a T2 and no idea what a drip tip is? On my 8th month I was making a laterial shift from Provari's to Reos because bottom juice feeding box mods gave me the benefits of direct dripping, witout the mess (no drip shields, seperate bottles, papertowels/tissues etc).

RHP

I'm not surprised at all. If you look at his post count you can tell that the OP doesn't frequent the message board. If you don't spend a lot of time here there's bound to be a ton of things that are unknown. We are enthusiasts and want to stay up to date on all things gaping. Most people just want something that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread