Best "Beginner Mod"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXEAGLE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Arlington,Texas
I have been thinking about getting a mod lately( no reason other than they look cool lol ). What are some of the Pros and Cons and getting a mod and what mod would you recommend to someone just getting into the "mod world"? All I have ever used have been Ego-Cs with CE4s, EVODS and Davide Mini Glassomizer( loving this thing). So what would you recommend to someone wanting to go bigger than that?

Thanks in advance

GO COWBOYS!!!! :vapor:

GentlemanVapist

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
New Orleans, LA
In my opinion, the next step up is to get yourself a Variable Voltage/Variable Wattage Mod. Still 510 Tank based with a few of them having the EGO Cone Threading, and there's no real con to them. If you're moving up from EGO's then there's no way you can go wrong, even if you should choose to take the Mechanical Mod route first.

GentlemanVapist

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
New Orleans, LA
The Mods I moved up to was the Innokin iTaste SVD and Innokin iTaste MVP, as I couldn't pick between the two. I found more favor towards the SVD but I enjoyed the everlasting battery life of the MVP. Once you figure out the formula to find the magic number, you'll be in for quite the ride. I recommend the SVD, for it's solid build (I dropped it more than a couple of times, and it still stands to work well.), it's many functions and features (one being the atomizer ohm resistance checker, a number needed to tweak your voltage to get that magic number hit.) and it's relatively cheap compared to some of the other mods I came across.

TXEAGLE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Arlington,Texas
The Mods I moved up to was the Innokin iTaste SVD and Innokin iTaste MVP, as I couldn't pick between the two. I found more favor towards the SVD but I enjoyed the everlasting battery life of the MVP. Once you figure out the formula to find the magic number, you'll be in for quite the ride. I recommend the SVD, for it's solid build (I dropped it more than a couple of times, and it still stands to work well.), it's many functions and features (one being the atomizer ohm resistance checker, a number needed to tweak your voltage to get that magic number hit.) and it's relatively cheap compared to some of the other mods I came across.

Thanks, I was looking at the MVP but just didn't know how I would like a box mod..I'll look into the SVD that's one I haven't looked into yet..Anyone got any comments on the Evic I heard it was good but I just don't know

GentlemanVapist

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
New Orleans, LA
The MVP draws attention because it's quite hefty, not really heavy, just super bulky, and its the more unorthodox mod, but if looks don't concern you, I would recommend it, but I feel the SVD would still be a better pick. I have a friend who has in eVic that I played with. It comes with some seriously nice features, but the light weight and finger print magnet body made me feel like it wouldn't be my thing. But I seen the black replacement tubes, and having a straight black eVic looked like something I wouldn't mind carrying around with me. From what I know, it's not bad, and it's usually the pick for something nice for those on a budget and don't want to shell out and break bank for a provari

jpwr25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2011
Southern Illinois
I have an MVP (the first ones without the variable wattage) and love it! 510 and Ego threading, super long battery life, and a very pocket friendly unit as well. It's also very user friendly. The big question with the MVP is, are you okay with a captive battery? Essentially, once the battery starts to degrade, the whole unit is toast.

TXEAGLE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Arlington,Texas
Ya that's my whole thing is I don't want to shell out a bunch of money for a mod and then end up not liking it and going back to my egos. I guess maybe I need to hit the B&M stores around me and see which one I like best. Are mods hard to operate? That might sound like a dumb question but I just don't really know all I am used to is my egos that is a one button operation.

TXEAGLE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Arlington,Texas
I have an MVP (the first ones without the variable wattage) and love it! 510 and Ego threading, super long battery life, and a very pocket friendly unit as well. It's also very user friendly. The big question with the MVP is, are you okay with a captive battery? Essentially, once the battery starts to degrade, the whole unit is toast.

I didn't know that about the battery. How long before the battery starts to go down the drain? Has anyone had one long enough for that to happen? Is there no way to replace the battery?

jpwr25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2011
Southern Illinois
I didn't know that about the battery. How long before the battery starts to go down the drain? Has anyone had one long enough for that to happen? Is there no way to replace the battery?

I don't know of any way to replace the battery. The battery will last for a certain number of charge cycles before performance starts to degrade (I've heard differing opinions, but it seems like the range is 150-200 cycles for most batteries.) I generally get two to three days out of one charge, and I still never run it all the way down. Couple that with the fact that I alternate with my ego twist batteries, and I expect to get more than a year out of it. I've had mine for 5 months and it's still going strong.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The best "mod" for the person getting started is (and always has been) the Silver Bullet from altsmoke.com. Down the road the SB will become your reliable back up PV that you know will work come hell or high water.

What I have found is that if I avoid buying the latest-greatest cheap crap, I end up with the funds to buy the good stuff.
    So I suggest three different PV's
    P1000660_zps8f13aeb3.jpg

Silver Bullet ... Altsmoke.com $85
    Provari ... Provape.com $159
    Reo ... Reosmods.com $144

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2013
    Michigan
    Meh, I would recommend against some of the mods listed here as a first mod. The MVP 2.0 would be a great starter. It has VV/VW and an ohm reader, so you can check the resistance of your atomizer. It also works as a pass thru, so you can use it while it is charging. The iTaste 3.0 has all of these features as well, but it is smaller.

As far as mods that use replaceable batteries, I would recommend the Sigelei Zmax or the Vamo V3. They are both under $60 and are great starter mods. You will then have to buy batteries and a charger. DO NOT BUY A KIT for mods unless they come with name brand batteries and a name brand charger. Most of the mod kits come with crap batteries/chargers. They are not worth the extra money.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    The Vamo V3, the SVD, the MVP and the VV3 are all good choices at a decent entry price level.

You could take the plunge and go with the next step, like tj recommends. You can't go wrong with any of those, either.

However, your most important investments won't be with the mod, but with the batteries and charger you get should you elect for a mod that uses replaceable batteries and an external charger.

Your liquid delivery options will also increase, as you will probably want tanks/systems that match up well with your device. Putting a 5/8" diameter tank on a device like a Vamo or SVD might, to you, look silly. Put a Protank II or X10 on that system and it looks better and probably performs a little better, too.

That's why I say that looking at the entry level systems may be a better route, because while the prices look good, the appurtenant accessories can significantly add to your total investment. And then, what if you discover that your Ego systems were just fine?

Edit: +1 on Jazzi's recommendation, too. How could I forget the Zmax? And he's right about the "kits." You are far better served by buying your mod in battery tube/electronics bare bones. No batteries, no charger. Get your cells and a charger from a reputable vendor like RTD or Discount Vapers and you'll probably save money and heartache in the long run.

Last edited:

Azmo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 8, 2013
    Liverpool, NY, USA
    If you just want to dip your feet in the VV/VW world and prefer the form factor of your eGo batteries, then try an iTaste V3.0. It is VV and VW but the size of an eGo battery.

I have an SVD, ZMAX, KMAX, MVP, i-Chybrid, and my iTaste V3s are what I use the most. That is unless I want to use one of my carto tanks. Those just don't look right on a stick battery.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2013
    USA
    There's no reason you can't start out with a mechanical REO Grand, using disposable attys of your resistance choice. It has a "hot" spring that instantly collapses and disconnects the battery, protecting it and you in the event of an atomizer short. There are no electronics to fail, you can wash it in the kitchen sink, and if you shuffle across the carpet in the dead of winter and static zap it while grabbing it, it will never be any worse for that. It's about the height and depth of a pack of cigarettes, but not nearly as wide, and fits comfortably in the hand, as well as a back pocket, where a mod like a C cell flashlight doesn't. With a 6 ml bottle and 18650 battery, the REO gives the awesomeness of dripping, one-handed, all day long, even when driving.

REO Grand Setup by super_X_drifter

TXEAGLE

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2013
    Arlington,Texas
    WOW!! So many different options. Thank you all for your recommendations. I am going to look into most of the ones ya'll have listed here so I can get a feel for what I want/need. After some research I am leaning more towards the Evic just because of all of the features that it has.. But like I said I need to do a little more research before taking the plunge and buying one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread