I need a lot of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aschecte

Nov 21, 2010
New york
Hey everyone !!! First post here. A little background first before I ask a few things. I am 36 years old and been smoking analogs since I was appx. 16 so that is like 20 years and I was up to about 2 packs a day most recently. A good friend of mine who I never even new used a ecig literally broke it out in front of me and started using it ...... I thought i knew him at least lol. I was very confused by what I was seeing and still am he explained it to me but really was way over my head and he explained it as basically as he could that I would get it. I was intrigued so much I under his advice bought a ecig setup actually 2, he said were probably my best choice for a beginner and something that would last me in theory as long as I like so I bought 2- ego-c VV twists 1000mah joyetech batteries but he told me instead of the tank system we bough 10 kanger 510 thread cartomizers and a charger to get me rolling as well as about 6 different juices from Halo. So that was a few weeks ago...... Fast forward I have not had any analogs in over 2 weeks now I'm vaping 100% of the time which is great I also moved to tank systems I don't even know what they are called clearomizers or tankomizers i really dont know the one is a kanger tech protank and the other is a vision vivi nova. So that is my gear. Now my question...... How do I use all this the right way !!!!? I seem to be hit or miss with flavor sometimes it tastes great other times burnt......and others like rotting fish I have learned how to dry burn the protank but I just feel like I am not vaping correctly and do not have a clue as to where to turn for advice my friend already went home across the country..... and I feel like sometimes I am vaping correctly ie. hold vapor In my mouth first, no direct hard pulls, then inhale then blow out through the nose ..... I'm not even sure if that is the right way...... Long story short is there a wiki or something or a good you tube video that can show me the ropes ? We have no local vape shops and I am fling solo here so any advice is appreciated and please feel free to ask any questions as I'm sure I'm leaving important stuff out. I just feel very lost in a huge sea of vapor. For example what is the VV used for, why are ohms important, watts ? there is just so much i don't feel like I have my units setup right and really don't understand anything about this. Thanks in advance !!!!

Last edited:

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
First,

Welcome to ECF and the vaping world!!!

You are right to be lost in the "sea of vaping" as you put it. LOL, I like it! anyways...

First Viva's are great tanks for starting out in, I've had a few because they work great, great flavor and tons of vapor. I see that you mentioned cartomizers? I was on that kick for about a month, but they don't last very long and you can't rebuild them like Viva Novas. when it comes to equipment...stick with silica wick systems (IMO)(like Viva Nova), better flavor and better vapor production and replacement heads are cheaper usually.

OK, now on to style of vaping??? That really is subjective to each person and there is no right or wrong way to do it, just as long as when you take your drag, don't try to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Take long slow pulls off your system. Hold it in your mouth and then inhale if that is what works for you. I know some folks that pull like their smoking a joint and that works for them. Since you are relatively new to vaping, find your style that fits you. I vape like I used to smoke, same as you and I will probably not change that routine.

There are a ton of web sites out there devoted to helping you learn (here for instance) and...

HowtoVape.com - Learning how to use an e-cigarette
http:/..................../wordpress/new-to-vaping/ -- My goto guy for just about everything.

(just noticed my above link keeps being censored. tasteyourjuice.com)

That should give you some material to go over. Phil Busardo at tasteyourjuice.com was one guy who really gives great advice and awesome reviews on equipment. There are many others who know their stuff too. your not alone is this...never feel that way.

You've made the first step into a larger world...take your time and look around!!!

EDIT: If your really interested in seeing very cool vaping gear....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/225727-pictures-your-setup.html

almost 20 thousand replies from folks who like to share what they have. Some really amazing stuff in there!

Last edited:

Boiler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
The land of sky blue waters
VV is used turn turn the voltage up or down between 3.3-4.8 volts. Too low may be too weak to get good vapor, too high may burn your juice and cause dry hits (no juice). Don't worry too much over ohms and watts at this point, just move it around and see where you like it.

:toast: Welcome, congrats on 2 weeks, and happy vaping!

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
well it sounds as if you have good gear to start with and congrats on quitting smoking. I use evods and protanks myself...I think the Vivi novas have long wicks that hang from the top coil. If you are getting burnt or nasty hits that would indicate either you are trying too high on your twist battery, or your tanks need cleaned. I learned to always start with the spinner almost off and turn it up SLOWLY until I just start to get a burn taste then turn back down a bit. Dry hits will also tastes nasty....I do not get many of those because I use the bottom coil tanks but many here say if you are using top coils like Vivi novas that it is important to spin your tanks to insure the wicks are saturated. I was my tanks out every night in HOT tap water and allow to dry overnight. I do check coils and deep clean and dry burn them once a week...I have yet to have to replace a coil using this method. As far as vaping correctly many people do it differently...I vape just like I used to smoke with long deep inhales...but most of the nicotine is absorbed in your mouth....my father vapes like it was a pipe...short mouth hits puff..puff...puff.
Turn the spinners down to almost off (and slowly go up with each tank)clean your tanks and coils and start again you will do just fine

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
You got a good friend, starting you out on variable voltage. Easiest way I know to explain it is this: Voltage is like turning on your garden hose (the wider open the more water pressure[voltage]). Ohms are like the sprinkler head and watts are the spray that comes out. Make the voltage the constant (valve fully open, half open, whatever) and you start to see the connection. Open the sprinkler head all the way (low resistance) and you get a bigger spray (output = watts). I'm probably not making a lot of sense cuz it's past my bedtime, but can you kinda see the analogy I'm getting at?

Aschecte

Nov 21, 2010
New york
Wow that was really quick I wasn't expecting so many replies so fast. Thank you all !!!!! As to the tanks I have only had burnt tastes from the kanger pro tank. The Vivi nova works great that is the better of the two though the draw is very tight with the Vic compared to the protank. I guess where my confusion is and it was somewhat answered above was how do I use it meaning hard pull and fast or slow and gentle........ Hold the vapor in my mouth only or do I inhale it and blow it out if my nose ? Also how do I know what the right voltage is for my atomizers ohm rating ? I assume that is why I am getting burnt taste sometimes from my protank I was using it at 4 volts with a 2.5 resistance atomizer. Also here is another good question what is priming the tank ? My friend mentioned that may be my problem with flavor is that I am not priming properly ....... He's more than likely right I don't even know what priming is !!!! Never mind do it right. Thanks again for all the replies so far !!! Mi going to o look at that link above.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
V=I•R.
Ohms Law, Current times Resistance equals voltage. Watts is actually a unit of work in mechanical engineering. Named after the Irishmen who invented the steam engine around 1810. In electronics the word (watt) is used to explain efficiency by the dissipation of heat. More watts, more efficient circuit.
Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone?..

Aschecte

Nov 21, 2010
New york
First,

Welcome to ECF and the vaping world!!!

You are right to be lost in the "sea of vaping" as you put it. LOL, I like it! anyways...

First Viva's are great tanks for starting out in, I've had a few because they work great, great flavor and tons of vapor. I see that you mentioned cartomizers? I was on that kick for about a month, but they don't last very long and you can't rebuild them like Viva Novas. when it comes to equipment...stick with silica wick systems (IMO)(like Viva Nova), better flavor and better vapor production and replacement heads are cheaper usually.

OK, now on to style of vaping??? That really is subjective to each person and there is no right or wrong way to do it, just as long as when you take your drag, don't try to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Take long slow pulls off your system. Hold it in your mouth and then inhale if that is what works for you. I know some folks that pull like their smoking a joint and that works for them. Since you are relatively new to vaping, find your style that fits you. I vape like I used to smoke, same as you and I will probably not change that routine.

There are a ton of web sites out there devoted to helping you learn (here for instance) and...

HowtoVape.com - Learning how to use an e-cigarette
http:/..................../wordpress/new-to-vaping/ -- My goto guy for just about everything.

(just noticed my above link keeps being censored. tasteyourjuice.com)

That should give you some material to go over. Phil Busardo at tasteyourjuice.com was one guy who really gives great advice and awesome reviews on equipment. There are many others who know their stuff too. your not alone is this...never feel that way.

You've made the first step into a larger world...take your time and look around!!!

EDIT: If your really interested in seeing very cool vaping gear....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/225727-pictures-your-setup.html

almost 20 thousand replies from folks who like to share what they have. Some really amazing stuff in there!

Hey great link !!! I use word press as well that is a pretty comprehensive blog thanks for sharing it !!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You did good with your current setup. Props to your friend, he knew what he was doing. It's the setup that I suggest to novices looking to start vaping. Below is a picture dictionary of my ideal starter setup. You'll find a video at the end that shows how to use a variable voltage ego battery. You'll also find demo videos of the Protank and Vivi Nova in the links.

Ideal Starters Setup for a Beginning Vapor

Here's more details on the juice devices available for your battery: Guide to Juice Devices

The following chart is often helpful for novices to understand Ohm's Law, the relationship between resistance (ohms) and voltage. Find your battery's voltage range (3.4 - 5.0 volts) at the top of the chart. Drop your focus to the green blocks (wattage). The resistance (ohms) is in the far left column. Find the ohms that match the voltage in the green blocks. This is the ohms to use in your juice devices.

Last edited:

Hislargeness

Aug 30, 2013
Taneytown MD
I know personally for me different liquids produce different effect. I tend to gravitate towards all natural products....no colors other than naturally occurring. These e liquids tend to be less potent but I find them smoother and easier on replacement oils. Some people that tend to drag really hard often encounter foul tastes due to wick materials not keeping saturated long enough or keeping up with coil atomization ....
I tank with bottom coil helped me with this

My two cents... don't let all the fancy gadgets get in the way of your goal. Allow yourself to become accustomed to vaping. It is a completely new world and it does take time to adjust and learn. Patience and will power are your friends. Before long you'll be teaching and training your friends and co-workers.

Get to know your battery and tanks first. Regular cleaning, as mentioned earlier, is a must. The vivi nova is a great tank for beginners and veterans alike. It was my first tank as well. It's simple to use, clean, provides good flavor, and, later on when you're ready, easy to rebuild. The protank is also a very good tank. I own 2 and love them. The draw is airy and takes some adjustment to your draw style, but like the vivi, it is a great tank for it's ease of use.

As for your battery, variable voltage allows the user more control over their vaping. In the beginning, I thought of it as, higher voltage = higher heat on the coil. That is a bit simplistic, however for the most part is true. Even after I bought a VV device I stayed with the same resistance on my heads and for the most part left the voltage on my device smack dab in the middle at around 3.8 volts until I figured some of this stuff out. If I got a burnt taste, I turned it down. If the vapor and flavor seemed light, I "kicked it up a notch!"

Someone above mentioned tasteyourjuice.com. Excellent site and Phil is a great and entertaining teacher. You will find as you explore the community that there are MANY great teachers available to you through this forum. The tough thing is knowing when to venture outside your comfort zone with a new device or piece of equipment and when to retreat back to the comfort zone of your current setup. Go at your own pace.

Browse the sites, search the forums, have a vape, and pace yourself!

You can't do it wrong... you've already reached for the e-cig instead of the analogue. Keep up the good work!!!

Aschecte

Nov 21, 2010
New york
Wow as a blanket post and I will be doing some individual replies you all are awesome !!!!! I already feel like from the posts above I at least understand some of the concepts of what is going on with the world and terminology of vaping. I still do not fully understand the relationship of watts to the equation. Not to be misunderstood with what a watt ( that sounds funny ) is..... just not sure why the voltage and ohm correlation would not be enough to accurately dial in the proper settings..... as the last post said though I think I need to basically crawl before I walk then run with this which is a long standing military analogy as you are brought through the ranks as not overwhelm the person. I think I may be trying run while I am still crawling.

Aschecte

Nov 21, 2010
New york
priming the tank is taking a few gentle puffs on it without hitting the button on your battery...it allows juice to saturate the wicks.:)

Thank you !!! that is much easier than what I thought it was..... Honestly I thought it was like priming a carburetor on a car or something..... that's how clueless I am with this terminology.

Aschecte

Nov 21, 2010
New york
You did good with your current setup. Props to your friend, he knew what he was doing. It's the setup that I suggest to novices looking to start vaping. Below is a picture dictionary of my ideal starter setup. You'll find a video at the end that shows how to use a variable voltage ego battery. You'll also find demo videos of the Protank and Vivi Nova in the links.

Ideal Starters Setup for a Beginning Vapor

Here's more details on the juice devices available for your battery: Guide to Juice Devices

The following chart is often helpful for novices to understand Ohm's Law, the relationship between resistance (ohms) and voltage. Find your battery's voltage range (3.4 - 5.0 volts) at the top of the chart. Drop your focus to the green blocks (wattage). The resistance (ohms) is in the far left column. Find the ohms that match the voltage in the green blocks. This is the ohms to use in your juice devices.

This post is a wealth of info that is answering 99% of my questions thank you this is very helpful info !!!! it basically tells me with me on my vivi nova setup with my VV ego-c and the 2.8 ohm head it has in it I basically cannot mess up as the chart shows that my wattage is good all the way from the ego's 3.2 setting all the way to the 4.8 setting on the twist though I would assume the battery life and flavor may be effected negatively the closer I set it to 4.8 though the circuit would be more efficient. so middle of the road looks like the best compromise of a efficient unit and a good flavor/throat hit. The links are awesome as well and explain a lot !!! thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread