Genuine confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBB0

Jul 28, 2013
US
Taken from wikipedia...

" Varenicline received a "priority review" by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in February 2006, shortening the usual 10-month review period to 6 months because of its demonstrated effectiveness in clinical trials and perceived lack of safety issues.[25] The agency's approval of the drug came on May 11, 2006.[4] August 1, 2006, varenicline was made available for sale in the United States and on September 29, 2006, was approved for sale in the European Union.[26]"

It took 6 months to deem Chantix "safe" even tho it clearly isn't. But it is legal and making billions.

Cigarettes clearly are not safe. But again, legal and making billions. Better yet, no prescription required.

vaping - It's been studied for a hell of a lot longer than 6 months, but not nearly as long as cigarettes. The vaping community doesn't have the funds of BT/BP to prove its safety, however BT/BP have spent untold fortunes to disprove their safety, unsuccessfully.

I'm not aware of a single vaping related harmful side effect or death. Sure there is a harmful side effect for BT/BP as vaping in it's current state doesn't fatten their wallets as they would like. I also understand there probably have been a few vaping related deaths. I'm sure some poor soul crashed into a tree and killed himself while digging around in the floorboard for the mod he dropped.

I understand that the FDA can't give eliquid its stamp of approval without pretending to regulate it. I understand there is big money against it. I know it all comes down to money. I just hope that the government can at least act like it has a little self respect and not just bend us all over for a good screwing from BT/BP.

If the big guys have their way, eliquids will be so expensively regulated, taxed, whatever that they will be the only ones able to produce the stuff and many fewer people will be able to actually purchase and use the stuff. As it stands right now, small businesses are popping up every day. People are achieving their dreams, people are being employed, and lives are being saved. The regulations the government settles on should allow those small business to succeed and continue to contribute to our communities and society as a whole. They shouldn't be regulated to extinction.

I don't think anyone who doesn't smoke should start vaping. No more than I think anyone should start smoking. I do believe vaping is a great stop smoking aid. Vaping is the only stop smoking aid that basically satisfies every aspect of smoking, allowing those of us who are having the most difficulty quitting, to actually stand a chance.

Reactions: WVvet

MarKa

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
SoCal
There are some aspects of e-liquids that deserve federal regulation though. In the mod post regarding acrolein/formadelhyde content in atomizers, they bring up the topic of clean glycerine. According to that thread, glycerine (or glycerol, can't remember) is derived among other sources from dead animal carcasses, diesel fuel, or plants. We get it from plants (VG) because its safer that way.

However, theres a plant called the jatropha plant which we can get glycerine from. The problem is the glycerine that comes from that plant is wholly carcinogenic. Most low-funded juice makers can't afford "clean" glycerin, so they end up buying the least expensive kind which usually comes from this plant.

If that's all true, then I'm reluctant to admit that I think the FDA has good reason to step in here.

Just my 2 cents. I'll try to find the thread I'm mentioning and edit it in here.

EDIT: Here's the thread

Last edited:

CraftyZA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
South Africa
www.fdev.co.za
If that's all true, then I'm reluctant to admit that I think the FDA has good reason to step in here.

They can simply ban the wrong type of glycerin. That will solve the vaping problem area, and all other areas where it poses a problem. Whether they get sin tax from said area or not. I doubt we are the only users of this product.

MarKa

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
SoCal
Lab testing would be a step in right direction for some of the vendors.

I think some of you are very naive when you think there is no $$ in this industry........it's huge.

I'm not being naive when I say it deserves federal regulation. I realize that the government will make bank. I just don't trust vendors to conduct expensive glycerine testing on their own accord. And honestly, the slightly inflated price of juice is worth it if it ensures it is carcinogen-free IMO.

Steaming EMT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New Jersey
If I was the one who hit the power ball or the mega, I would be more than happy to start something or donate some funds etc, so a good and well funded reaserch could be properly done and show the FDA and the GOVERMENT that E-Cigarettes do work and it could save lives.
I used Chantix for 6 months and it did not work at all. and I had thoughts of suicide for the longest!! well my intake is if cigarettes dont kill you, CHANTIX WILL GIVE YOU THE IDEA!!!

Thank GOD I did not do it, THANK GOD MY WIFE DID NOT LEAVE ME, THANK GOD I QUIT SMOKING AFTER 25 YRS!

THANK GOD FOR E-CIGS!

Reactions: WVvet

jabuki

Jul 27, 2011
neverneverland
I personally am all for a federal standard for a product that is being inhaled daily by millions of people. My hope is that the standard is made from informed fact based decisions and not simply an extension of the war on tobacco. Given that the carrier compound is the highest concern with vaping it should be very simple to regulate. Simply require all vaping products must use pharmaceutical grade pg/vg. This way quality control and testing is up to the pg/vg manufacture as it should be.

Long term effects of daily vaping of pg/vg still need to be studied and hopefully an even better carrier solution can be found. As much as people praise vaping as a way to end nicotine addiction it ultimately is simply a cleaner and currently cheaper cigarette alternative. Young adults are already switching to vaping and lets face it nicotine is awesome and non of us started smoking for the taste. Vaping is here to stay, and it can only get better through basic quality standards and a free market improving it's product.

DruidPriest

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
I'm not being naive when I say it deserves federal regulation. I realize that the government will make bank. I just don't trust vendors to conduct expensive glycerine testing on their own accord. And honestly, the slightly inflated price of juice is worth it if it ensures it is carcinogen-free IMO.

And you trust the federal government?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

You made such a good point, that Chantix was proven to be safe but clearly isn't. Can you imagine if vaping gave you crazy nightmares like Chantix does?

And Jabuki, that's the term I've been searching for: "an extension of the war on tobacco". That's all this is.

I say we start our own war that's equally ridiculous. The War Against People Who Shamelessly Fart in Public. A health hazard known to cause nausea, scrunched-face syndrome, and reclusive tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread