Is it really about Vaping or is really about control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chas_L

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
Buchanan Ga
Anyone else tired of being told what is best for you by the Powers That Be? Do we ever reach the age where we are intitled to make our own choices as long as they do not directly endanger others?

I grew up in a motorcyle riding family and non of us wore helments . Some where around the mid sixties helment became mandantory here in Georgia. Same with car seat belts , my first car with them was a '67 Mustang. I never rode in a childs car safety or booster seat , sleapt in a baby bed ,played in a crib, eat in a high chair and lived in a house all with lead paint. Every grammer and high school I went to had asbestose insulated steam pipes for heating.

I know ,all those things ruined my health that is why I am 68 and have never spent the night in a hospitle as a patient.

I smoked a few cigeratts as a child like many have. My parents let me smoke cigars as a younster under doctors advice .they also let me drink hard liquior in hot todies for colds and when I was 12 I drumk beer right along with the adults on fishing trips.

I have carried a permited handgun for the past 50 years except for the two years I was on active duty (Viet Nam 67-88) and yet I have only taken another's life while in the military.Now the Government wants to take away Gun Rights which us gun owners have been fighting for for 50 years or longer.

Now be good little boys and girls, go to work ,pay taxs, do not make any decesions on your own we (The Goverment) will decide what is best for you.

Browneye

Aug 21, 2013
The "OC" - So-CAL
Of course it is. The dumbing down of society in general has left a chasm of difference between the liberal 'followers' and the conservative 'let me do it on my own' attitudes. Unfortunately the libs are now in the majority and think it's just fine for the government to control everything. That's what they want, expect, and will follow.

Ask people about NSA snooping and most will just say, "I'm not doing anything wrong so I don't care - it's in our best interest". Really? Yep!

This country has been turned upside down and most are just fine with it. I don't see anything changing any time soon. Fight the good fight!

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I have to disagree with the OP slightly. I agree that the government has become too controlling. You ought to try living in CA.

I am only 65, but Vietnam 69 -70, Long Binh, Bien Hoa 3rd of the 4th.

I have been riding bikes since 71, of course none of that p***y Harley stuff :D, and I always wore a helmet. Saved me twice. Besides, I don't want to have to pay for the guy who doesn't, and lives in a vegetative state for 20 years.

Seat belts, my folks raced sports cars back in the late 50s and 60s. Our street cars always had seat belts. Save me twice on roll over crashes and a rear end collision. Car seats, best thing ever invented.

Other than that, yea I agree with you.

Greg W.

PS Oh, yea spent one night in the hospital. Genetic heart defect. Corrected.

gayhalo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Ross-on-Wye UK
I guess you have to look at it from every bodies point of view.
Government: will loose taxes, need to hang on to votes, all the anti smoking voters will think the government is good for controlling. We will live longer. More pension in some countries and care in old age.
Big tobacco: are loosing money as we stop buying cigs, better climb on the bandwagon. Would like tax and other restrictions to keep us smoking, they are not sure they can get us addicted to e cigs ( that's the new users) watch out for some extra chemicals in the BT ecigs.
Big Pharma: will loose money from patches etc. also loose lots on drugs used to keep smokers alive ( for a little while).
Cancer cure researchers: well some will be out of a job and what they wanted was to find the cure and either be famous or sell to BP and be rich or both.
Anti smoking orgs: well they will be out of a job as well. I think you will find ther are a lot of them if you include all the cessation people connected to Heath depts.

I am sure some of you out there can add to that list...

In reality none of them want them banned because they are bad for us..... They are bad for them.

Last edited:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Its far too late for bans, regulation, or excessive taxation to be any more than an inconvenience, the genie is out of the bottle ...

Knowledge of vaping and its immediate benefits, and the technology to build PVs and even to extract nicotine is in the public domain ...

I'll be happy either way. If Big Brother chooses to wreck my new hobby, I'll build my own devices, and do so for others who cannot. Many others with the necessary fabrication skills will do the same. And if its even mildly profitable, there will be those who will discreetly concoct the juices and market them through informal channels, like moonshine distillation to avoid alcohol taxes ...

In a perfect world, our elected leaders would embrace and subsidize vaping, recognizing that its the solution to smoking concerns that they claimed they were seeking all along. But if it really is only about greed and corruption, then people will do what they have to. This country was founded by those who rebelled against tyranny and oppression. Then it was about tea, this time its tobacco ...

gayhalo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Ross-on-Wye UK
Oh yes if it had to go underground, black market then the kids would be into like you have never seen. I am with you, I have the skills to make the hardware, I already do DIY, all I need is the nicotine and as you said it will be available from many sources. They can't stop fake cigarettes or smuggling them.... So how are they going to get on with a new set of challenges.

The sad thing is that it will make it maybe too difficult for the existing smokers to get into it and have the advantages we have.

Last edited:

sbdivemaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Capra's Shangri-La
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

--Robert A. Heinlein

Guess which category ANTZ belong to...

gayhalo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Ross-on-Wye UK
Its far too late for bans, regulation, or excessive taxation to be any more than an inconvenience, the genie is out of the bottle ...

If the UK continue to fiddle about waiting for the EU to do their dirty work for them till 2016 or 7 the will be maybe 3 million or more vapers in the UK. That is too many votes for a party to throw away.

Knowledge of vaping and its immediate benefits, and the technology to build PVs and even to extract nicotine is in the public domain ...

I like this! It's along the same lines as the UK letter.

I keep thinking that the worst thing that ever happened to the PV was associating itself to 'cigarettes' in the first place - 'e-cig'?? It is now 'vaping'. So all the crackpot nay-sayers are going on and on about 'e-cigs' while the whole entity of 'vaping' has moved on.

There's no way they can stop it now.

natewesselink

Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
northwest arkansas
its always about control for the government. look at all of the laws and regulations. every bit of it is designed to control. one of the reasons i moved to vaping is to let loose the control that analogs had on me not to mention the taxes and chemicals that they put in them due to some government regulation. in my state when i quit the price for a pack of L and M's was 5.75 and they were about the cheapest you could get without going to the haggard cigs. now i spend about $10 every 2 weeks or so on juice. im not going to even get into the gun laws, ive been a competative marksman for over 6 years and carried a gun every day since i turned 21 and thankfully ive only needed it once.

Harlen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Charlotte Nc
It's the money and only the money
Making new industry to tax- alcohol in gas never saved a drop of gas only made you buy more gas to go the same distance .
An unarmed public can't tell the government NO I will not do that .
You have the right to vote but only for the ones they give you to choose from .
If you look at all the taxes added to what you buy you would cry.

claybuster

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2012
Connecticut
It's about control. But who controls who? Who has the control? Control is whoever is holding the money. Follow the money. Who has the money? Big tobacco has the money. Who's in the pocket of big tobacco? Who doesn't like to be losing money due to losses of market share? Big tobacco will do with the money in hopes to buy control. Every time who hear about politicians, government agencies, instituting bans, instituting regulation, taxes, etc., the first thing that comes to mind is who here is in the pocket of big tobacco? Big tobacco holds the strings; puppet masters who try to get puppets to go along, all in an effort to keep market share. Advocate....promote...ban....regulate...and the only thing that matters to the puppets IS NOT YOUR HEALTH but how thick is that envelope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread