Confused re EVOD heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
First, as background, I'm a total newbie; I have yet to use an e cigarette. So be gentle. <grin> Oh - and sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place - I understand if it gets moved.

I recently ordered a Kangertech EVOD kit, a couple of additional EVOD BCCs, a 5-pack of 2.2 ohm replacement EVOD heads and some juice. The order shipped today.

The EVOD BCCs included in the kit come "loaded with a 2.5 ohm Standard Resistance" head. The kit also includes a 5-pack of "2.5 ohm Standard Resistance heads". (KangerTech EVOD BCC Starter Kit - MyFreedomSmokes.com)

The add-on EVOD clearomizers, on the other hand, come with 2.2 ohm heads. The description provides the following guidelines:

Recommended Voltage for varying resistance levels:

• 1.7-1.9ohm - 3.1-3.4V
  • 2.1-2.3ohm - 3.5.3.8V
  • 2.4-2.6ohm - 3.9-4.2V
  • 2.6-3.0ohm - 4.3-4.7V

(KangerTech EVOD Bottom Coil Clearomizer (BCC) - MyFreedomSmokes.com) While watching an unboxing vid, I remember seeing the same - or at least a similar - recommendation chart in a booklet that was included in the Kangertech EVOD kit. I stopped the vid at the time and noted that 3.7V was compatible with 2.2 ohm.

I've read - and saw/heard in vids - that the Kangertech EVOD batteries fire at a "regulated" 3.7 volts. If you follow the chart above, a 2.2 ohm head would be appropriate. Yet Kangertech includes 2.5 ohm heads in their kit. <shrug>

So what's up/right/better here? Is it OK for me to use both heads with my EVOD batteries? Will the 2.2 ohm heads - which, if I've got this right, should run hotter than the 2.5 ohm heads - have an effect on the usable life of my EVOD batteries?

I'm just curious. I'll probably just run all of them and see what happens, but I'm still curious about what Those Who Know Better think about this discrepancy.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
First regulated batts (eGo's and Kanger) run at 3.3-3.4 Volts underload. (ie with the clearo attached) It will always read @3.7V on a multimeter.

What I've found with the Kanger coils (on the tabac bcc mainly) is that the stronger flavors can do well on a regulated batt (eGo-c's for me) at 1.8 ohms and the lighter flavors do well at 2.2 ohms on the same batts. The 2.4-2.6 ohm coils are too light even for my lightest flavors and the 1.5 is too hot for anything except coffee/espresso. Of course ymmv.... If you're using unregulated 3.7V's underload then a 1.8 ohm is likely to burn some ejuices. So 2.2 would be a good start point.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
OK. Thanks for the info, Kent! I'll keep that in mind as I fool around with these things.

Still don't understand why Kangertech would put the higher ohm coils in their own kit, though.

I know. Some vendors carry the 1.8ohm in the product - heaven gifts. good prophets and a few others. Other vendors put the useless coil in them lol. useless to me anyway.....

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Kent C: Heh. I didn't even know that Kanger MADE 1.8 ohm heads. I only saw 2.2 and 2.5 ohm choices at the vendor I used. Think I may pick up a pack of 1.8 if I can find them. (it would be nice if I eventually was able to find a good coffee-based flavor. Can't do without the stuff.) <grin>

Williebb123: Thanks for the thoughts. I'll keep that in mind too.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent C: Heh. I didn't even know that Kanger MADE 1.8 ohm heads. I only saw 2.2 and 2.5 ohm choices at the vendor I used. Think I may pick up a pack of 1.8 if I can find them. (it would be nice if I eventually was able to find a good coffee-based flavor. Can't do without the stuff.) <grin>

Williebb123: Thanks for the thoughts. I'll keep that in mind too.

Coffee is the holy grail for me. I've gotten close with BWB espresso that I mix with various other stuff - DV's doppio espresso, BWB capp but still looking to make it better. I've tried almost all the 'rave' coffees in the ejuice threads - none have come close for me.... Coffee likes the heat. Best is dripping with a 1.5 atty (I use a cisco 306) and a Twist cranked to around 4.2-4.4V.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
First, as background, I'm a total newbie; I have yet to use an e cigarette. So be gentle. <grin> Oh - and sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place - I understand if it gets moved.

Aloha Jumpin' In!

Ready for a little tutorial? ;) :facepalm:

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers mostly or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8.5 watts). If you are using dual coil atomizers or are interested in high wattage vaping, it's a different conversation altogether. :) You will also have to understand the concept of amp limits and how it applies to high power vaping.

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer [P=V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R]. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 Watts. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) and even some juices, especially the delicate ones.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

If you want to know more, this is a good read:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-stuff-i-double-dog-dare-you.html#post9112897

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative.

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Kent C: Googled. Backwoods Brew Expresso and Cappucino, right? Noted - I'll look later, but I hope they carry the 1.8 heads. <grin> I drink my coffee with non-dairy creamer (can't handle the acid otherwise), so I'll probably lean toward capps and such. Don't think I'll extend my ordering to the UK, though (my -- you ARE searching). All that may be a little down the road, unfortunately. My first mission is to find out what nic concentration I will be using going forward. Then maybe I can start going a little bonkers with juice.

Katya: Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I understand why some of the VVs let you dial in watts. I was wondering about that, but glossed over it since I won't be able to dial in anything - at least for the time being. You know, trying to make sense of all this stuff has so far made this whole affair pretty entertaining for me up to this point. I'm spending waaayyy too much time on this stuff. <smile>

Both of you: This thread has been bookmarked. Thanks again.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent C: Googled. Backwoods Brew Expresso and Cappucino, right? Noted - I'll look later, but I hope they carry the 1.8 heads. <grin> I drink my coffee with non-dairy creamer (can't handle the acid otherwise), so I'll probably lean toward capps and such. Don't think I'll extend my ordering to the UK, though (my -- you ARE searching). All that may be a little down the road, unfortunately. My first mission is to find out what nic concentration I will be using going forward. Then maybe I can start going a little bonkers with juice.

As a general rule:

If you were an ultralight smoker - use 6-8mg nic level
Lights smoker - 12-18mg nic
Full Flavor - 18-24mg
Camel unfiltered ;) 24+mg

hiccups mean you have too much nic.

Suggest starting out with a 15ml bottle of both the BWB espresso and capp (and yes Backwoods Brew). Then mix the two to a desired flavor. 50:50 will still seem pretty 'capp'y'. lol

You'll have to go elsewhere for the coils:

Kanger EVOD 1.6ml MT BCC Spare Coils

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Kent C: I currently smoke roughly a half-pack a day of USA Gold box right now. Along with my kit, I ordered 15ml bottles each of 18mg/l and 12 mg/l, "4-Star General" tobacco type juice. Hopefully one of those will do as a starting point. (I'll be looking for my morning "buzz".) Then I can order some sample juice packs and probably the BWB coffee juices. Looking forward to that! I don't think I've "liked" the taste of a cigarette for a while now, so I wonder if I'll end up with tobacco-type juice as an all-day vape.

I was just reading a post in the New Members forum about a Kanger battery that went dead. Guess I should get a third battery if I find that vaping works for me.

Suss: Thanks for the observation! Noted.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Kent C: I currently smoke roughly a half-pack a day of USA Gold box right now. Along with my kit, I ordered 15ml bottles each of 18mg/l and 12 mg/l, "4-Star General" tobacco type juice. Hopefully one of those will do as a starting point. (I'll be looking for my morning "buzz".) Then I can order some sample juice packs and probably the BWB coffee juices. Looking forward to that! I don't think I've "liked" the taste of a cigarette for a while now, so I wonder if I'll end up with tobacco-type juice as an all-day vape.

I was just reading a post in the New Members forum about a Kanger battery that went dead. Guess I should get a third battery if I find that vaping works for me.

A third battery is a good idea and get a "twist" type. That way you can adjust the voltage for the different heads and get a feel for how the voltage and ohms interact. One example below from where you purchased.

Joyetech eGo-C Twist Variable Voltage 1000mAh Battery - MyFreedomSmokes.com

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

I was a menthol smoker and became a menthol vaper for about the first 8-9 months and haven't vaped menthol much since. "All day vapes" is a good topic :) Depends... if you're a coffee drinker and hate flavored coffees, then you might understand my view - none of my ADV's have overwhelming flavor. Cigarettes weren't. I save that area for good food. lol. However you want 'something' so about 6 flavors that I vape daily and only one - Absinthe - impinges on the taste buds. Habana Reserve is a non-tobacco tobacco (no tobacco absolute) but a slight tobacco taste from mesquite, a bit of black pepper and other herbs and spices, made by Decadent Vapours. The Ylang Ylang and Lotus Flower are just 'pleasant'. BWB Applewood, is a warm woody tobacco but light on the tobacco side as well as the apple. But.. that's just me. Some want the atomic red hot cinnamon zombie dragon blood stuff. And some of that is fun but not for an all day vape for me, anyway.

An eGo-c Twist (true joyetech) is a good choice. The 1000mAh is like a pool cue but it will last a while. I prefer the 650mAh. I can do the math so I don't need VV/VW mods :laugh: And as I said above, with the 1.8ohm coils and a good 3.4-3.7V batt you can get the heat you need for tobacco flavors at much less cost as well. The Twist gives you a bit more range though. Much depends on the flavors you like.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Have you considered a Vision Spinner?

Vision Spinner VV eGo Battery 900mAh

I own a Twist and a Spinner and I actually prefer the Spinner--works great and is a bit fatter and shorter than the Twist and the dial is much easier to read. Just a thought. :) But they are both good batteries.

If/when you order from BWB, grab a bottle of their medium menthol--very nice and smooth blend of tobacco and menthol. Definitely an all day vape. I agree with Kent--BWB coffees are good, I also mix espresso and Capp. Kona Kick with optional but recommended cream and chocolate from Ahlusion is also very good. :)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Without variable voltage, you may sometimes want 1.8's. I do.
But without a ohm-reading device, you're gonna still get variance.
In fact MOST of the 1.8's I put in test at 1.9 or 2.0.
And I am using legit Kanger coils. They're just not accurate.
So the diff between the kit coming with 2.5 and replacing with 2.2's is no big deal!

I know - I should build em. Just not my thing (I did a couple, but have decided to spend my tinkering time mixing juice instead).

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I know - I should build em. Just not my thing (I did a couple, but have decided to spend my tinkering time mixing juice instead).

Why? ;)

I have zero desire to wind my own coils. Zero! I want the good people of Kanger to do it for me. :p

I also have no desire to rewire my toaster, for that matter. :D

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
And.... the KISS principle for someone who acknowledges himself as a newbie and confused. Jumpin In - you shouldn't need another battery right away if you have two but if you want another just get a regular non-vv batt for now. You can experiment later. Find some flavors that you like at the wattage that is good using the different ohm coils for now. Get a good start, then shop. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread