battery charger making high pitched whine....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
It's either capacitor whine or coil noise

Coil noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coil whine is not due to poor quality capacitors. You only need ask the people who own some of the Seasonic X-Series power supplies that use all Japanese 105°C electrolytic capacitors and are afflicted with this problem.

Coil whine may also happen on the coils/chokes in VRM circuits of motherboards and graphics cards.

The coil/choke is a coil of wire wrapped around a ferrite core. If the core is loose it will vibrate at some harmonic of the PSU's switching frequency.

If the warranty on the device has already expired, I have heard of some people solving this problem by applying nail polish or hot-melt glue to the offending coil(s) to prevent the core from vibrating.

Coil whine is considered a manufacturing defect. Sometimes it's caused during shipping of the PSU to the end user. You really don't know if the package has been thrown around during its transport.
Computer people and anyone working with electronics and coils wrapped on ferrite beads for transformers know this sound all to well...

It shouldn't be a problem...other than being annoying as heck!

It is fixable...but ONLY by someone who knows about electronics and knows what they are doing!!! (aka putting a dab of clear nail polish in the coil which soaks in, dries and binds the coil so it doesn't vibrate)

5d6umu.jpg

Big yellow thing...coil

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
on the subject of charging, I don't have any metering equipment ... am I in the danger zone as far as not knowing whether I've overdrained the battery prior to charging? I'm using Ego T 18650 and anyvape 18350 battery tubes with Ego T and Evic Easy heads.

The Ego-T 2 heads have the same low battery protection circuitry as any Joyetech 510 or eGo battery: it shuts the device off when the battery voltage has dropped to 3.2 volts.

Not sure about the Evic head.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
The Ego-T 2 heads have the same low battery protection circuitry as any Joyetech 510 or eGo battery: it shuts the device off when the battery voltage has dropped to 3.2 volts.

Not sure about the Evic head.
on the subject of charging, I don't have any metering equipment ... am I in the danger zone as far as not knowing whether I've overdrained the battery prior to charging? I'm using Ego T 18650 and anyvape 18350 battery tubes with Ego T and Evic Easy heads.
OH SNAP!

eVic Easy Head is the EXACT same thing as a Totally Wicked Tornado RCS!!!

It DOES have the low voltage cutoff just like the ego
Joyetech eVic easy head
http://www.litecigusa.net/Joyetech_eVic_Easy_Head_Assembly_p/evic-easyhead.htm
http://www.litecigusa.net/Joyetech_eVic_Battery_Tube_p/evic-batterytube.htm
Question...does the 18650 go in that eVic Easy Head battery tube? The Totally Wicked RCS uses a 14650 battery...

Found it...the eVic Easy Head dual mode uses an 18650 battery
http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1724

Last edited:

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
Another side-topic: how do we get us a sub forum for EgoT 18660/tornado/evic easy genre of mods/apvs? Seems like a fair amount of market convergence going on around these interchangeable heads and tubes using the various control heads. I've got a couple compatible 18350 tubes for these comin. maybe there isn't a whole lot to talk about that's distinct from other mods but... let me know if I should be looking for such other than in the evic subforum and thanks for the input with the questions above

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
My first trustfire charger made that sound too. I continued to use it with no problems. The power cord eventually got damaged (unrelated to the noise, just do to me putting to much stress on the cord due to the position I had the charger in while using it). I used it for over a year, and then went ahead and ordered a new one since the cord was shot. The new trust fire doesn't make that sound.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Whether it's dangerous or not depends on the frequency of the whine. Certain materials resonate at different frequencies, and depending on the frequency and the function of the materials in question, it can be dangerous.

It's somewhat similar to vibration analysis in rotating equipment like cam shafts, chain drives and shafts that drive large pumps (don't ask me how I know this). If you get the right frequency delivered to a piece of equipment that doesn't like that frequency, the results can be as spectacular as they are catastrophic.

I saw a 120cm stainless steel pump shaft virtually disintegrate because the shaft of the engine driving the pump put out just the right frequency in its rotation.

I can hook you up with an engineering outfit that specializes in this sort of thing, but just getting them to answer the phone will cost you more than the charger is worth, by a factor of about 5,462.

Don't ask me how I know that, either.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Whether it's dangerous or not depends on the frequency of the whine. Certain materials resonate at different frequencies, and depending on the frequency and the function of the materials in question, it can be dangerous.

It's somewhat similar to vibration analysis in rotating equipment like cam shafts, chain drives and shafts that drive large pumps (don't ask me how I know this). If you get the right frequency delivered to a piece of equipment that doesn't like that frequency, the results can be as spectacular as they are catastrophic.

I saw a 120cm stainless steel pump shaft virtually disintegrate because the shaft of the engine driving the pump put out just the right frequency in its rotation.

I can hook you up with an engineering outfit that specializes in this sort of thing, but just getting them to answer the phone will cost you more than the charger is worth, by a factor of about 5,462.

Don't ask me how I know that, either.
Harmonic Resonance Instability...

Yeah..little vibrations can become BIG vibration can become catastrophic failures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread