Provari or mechanical mod? K100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwall805

Jul 24, 2013
Ventura, CA
I'm torn between purchasing a Provari or a mechanical mod like a k100. I want to put a rebuildable atomizer on it. Right now I own an evic but want to get something that will produce more flavor and vapor. What do you all suggest. And where's the best price I can get for a Provari. Should I get a mini or regular sized Provari. All your help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
If you get a Provari, buy direct from Provape. Big price difference between a K100 and provari. If your new to rebuilding, it might be a little frustrating building for an un regulated mech. With a regulated device, (Provari, Evic) you can adjust volts up or down to get the most out of the coil you wrapped. All Mods will give you good vape and flavor if set up right. Buy a Provari for it's superior construction, Customer service, warranty and reliability. All mods will vape like crap if you don't do your part and set your RBA up right. As a new vapor, using an unregulated Mech can be very frustrating. You need to be accurate with the coils resistance, you need to use the highest quality batterys, you have to have a good understanding of Ohm's law so you don't damage your batteries or yourself and you need to expect voltage drop. As you vape on it, your battery's voltage drops and you get less performance. You also run the risk of over discharging batteries, again running the risk of damaging them or yourself. I like the mini, I use it with two tatroe extension rings so I can use all three battery sizes on the same device.

zhentipede

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
California, USA
IMG_5327.jpg IMG_5331.jpg

K100 as back up =) just buy the " mod only option can go as low as $25 uses any extra size battery

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Since you have yet to do Rebuildables, you don't know yet if they are something that you will enjoy. They're not for everyone. Advice & Tips for RBA

Set up perfectly, they can be the best vape experience you can get. But they can be extremely fussy, and you will need a backup juice delivery setup when that happens. I haven't touched my two RBA's in a couple of weeks because both need recoiled, and I haven't found the motivation or patience to spend the half hour it will take me to do that. I've fallen back onto my trusty cartotanks, which provide me with a more consistant and predictable vape.

To improve on the RBA experience between a regulated PV and a mechanical, you have to go to sub-ohm coils with the mechanical. Safety issues such as correct battery choices, discharge rates (amps), shorts, etc are more critical because of a smaller window of safety vs battery hard-shorts. With a mechanical mod there are no built-in safety features like a regulated mod - YOU are the safety feature who must be able to recognize shorts and know how to eliminate them before a battery failure occurs.

The Provari will be much more versatile than a mechanical mod. You can do normal resistance RBA's on a Provari and have just as nice of a vape experience as you can with a mechanical. I bought my first AGA-T2 with all intentions of putting it on my Silver Bullet mech, but found that I got a better vape with it on my Provari. I won't do sub-ohm coils because of safety issues, but others are willing to accept that risk. 2.0 ohm coils on the AGA and Provari is my sweet spot.

You can put any juice device on a Provari and get a great experience. A mechanical? Possible but not so likely. Most people using a mech need to use low resistance attys, cartos, or clearos. A Provari can use different voltages to adjust to different resistances of atomizers. You can also adjust the voltage to each individual flavor you use for its particular "sweet spot". Built-in ohm meter and battery voltage meter. And don't forget the built-in protection that a regulated mod gives you that a mechanical won't have.

I'd go with the Provari for the far greater versatility and built-in safety of voltage regulation.

Silver Bullet with AGA T2.jpg AGA T2 on Provari's.jpg

Last edited:

nqabassist26

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
SoCal
I have owned and have been using Provaris for about 3 years now and can say that it is still the most worthwhile mod to own.

Coincidentally, I own a K100 as well and can say it's an absolute steal for the price they expect for it.

If you want to get into RBAs, there's a bit of a trade off when it comes to a Mech vs a VV device. The most important part is the amperage limit the VV has, which is why people started to put RBAs on mechanical mods, to bypass that limit.

If you plan on making a single coil on your RBA, then putting it on your Provari will be fine (I'm running a built coil at 1.5 ohms at 4.7 volts right now, hits great.).

If you're looking for dual coil set ups, or super sub Ohm set ups, then you will be happier with a mechanical. There are a bunch of things you should keep in mind when using a mech and sub ohm set ups, however. This is where the safety issues come into play (battery choices, discharge rates, shorts, etc).

I currently have an IGO-W set up with very low ohm dual coils on my K100 and it hits wonderfully.

You should weigh out your options, but my opinion is that everybody should own a Provari:p. Even with all the mods that have sprouted over the last year, there's still nothing like it on the market.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I also see the ProVari as a logical step into the mechanical world. If you are considering a mech, do you have a multimeter? Have you used batteries enough to be familiar with the basic safety ABCs that every mechanical user should know? Have you ever built a coil on an RBA? If your answer to one or more of these is "no", the ProVari might be the better choice for you right now.

The ProVari is a very versatile (and relatively powerful) device that will permit you to get familiar with all of the above while you prepare to enter the mechanical world, should you choose to do so down the road.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
As said above, if the issue is flavor and vapor, you need to be trying different juice delivery devices, not different batteries (mods). Unless you need the ruggedness of a Provari (work on concrete or steel, etc), your eVic will do everything and more the Provari will (except for max power level), and both are safer and easier to use than an inexpensive mechanical. Try dripping if you haven't. Try disposable cartos and rebuildable atomizers, drip (RDA) or tank (RBA). If you like dripping, look at a bottomfeeding mod such as the REO Grand (available as mechanical or variable voltage).

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
As said above, if the issue is flavor and vapor, you need to be trying different juice delivery devices, not different batteries (mods). Unless you need the ruggedness of a Provari (work on concrete or steel, etc), your eVic will do everything and more the Provari will (except for max power level), and both are safer and easier to use than an inexpensive mechanical. Try dripping if you haven't. Try disposable cartos and rebuildable atomizers, drip (RDA) or tank (RBA). If you like dripping, look at a bottomfeeding mod such as the REO Grand (available as mechanical or variable voltage).

Before one would purchase an eVic over a ProVari, I would watch this vid comparing them under load on a meter.. It's in Italian, but easy to see the results.. ;)

eVic VS Provari - YouTube

That said, I very much enjoy the consistent, regulated 3.8v the ProVari gives me running a 1.0 ohm dual-coil in my Hercules. I prefer it to any of my mechs, which drop to 3.75-3.8v on a fresh battery, and continues dropping every hit. ;)

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Before one would purchase an eVic over a ProVari, I would watch this vid comparing them under load on a meter.. It's in Italian, but easy to see the results.. ;)

Precisely as I said above. The Provari can do 15 watts as shown in the video, the eVic can't... it's absolute max is 12. That was version 1.0 of the software that let you try to set it above its real max capability. Later versions don't. If the OP doesn't want to exceed that with the eVic he already owns, he's better off spending the money on trying different juice delivery devices.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Precisely as I said above. The Provari can do 15 watts as shown in the video, the eVic can't... it's absolute max is 12. That was version 1.0 of the software that let you try to set it above its real max capability. Later versions don't. If the OP doesn't want to exceed that with the eVic he already owns, he's better off spending the money on trying different juice delivery devices.

The build quality of the eVic isn't the greatest either.. One can see many posts here regarding the head coming apart after a drop... Sometimes requiring the wire needing to be soldered back on.

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
The build quality of the eVic isn't the greatest either.. One can see many posts here regarding the head coming apart after a drop... Sometimes requiring the wire needing to be soldered back on.

Again, that was version 1.0, the first shipment (and was inexcusable). On later models, the head is held on with two screws. There's no question a Provari is far, far more rugged and can withstand drops onto concrete, etc. far better (as I also mentioned in my first reply here). But the OP isn't asking what can withstand drops better than the device he already owns.

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Again, that was version 1.0, the first shipment (and was inexcusable). On later models, the head is held on with two screws. There's no question a Provari is far, far more rugged and can withstand drops onto concrete, etc. far better (as I also mentioned in my first reply here). But the OP isn't asking what can withstand drops better than the device he already owns.

Do you own a ProVari?

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
That's irrelevant to the OP's quest (like the rest of your responses).

Not irrevelant at all... Last time I looked, this is a ProVari specific sub-forum, and I would imagine the OP's inquiry was directed to ProVari owners. I grow tired of seeing you turn up in threads to tout the REO. *** (Comment edited by myself due to being rude in retaliation to above poster)***

I've been using REOs since the Mini was introduced, and still own a Grand.. I wouldn't go into the REO sub-forum to tout other devices.. It wouldn't be polite.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not irrevelant at all... Last time I looked, this is a ProVari specific sub-forum, and I would imagine the OP's inquiry was directed to ProVari owners.

I've been using REOs since the Mini was introduced, and still own a Grand.. I wouldn't go into the REO sub-forum to tout other devices.. It wouldn't be polite.
:thumb: I'm afraid I must agree with this. Provari owners have gotten much flack on this forum for being fan boys when suggesting a Provari in discussions where the topic was not applicable or relevant. Some Reo owners are starting to earn the same reputation.

This is a Provari sub-forum. The topic by the OP is Provari vs mechanical mod. Although the Reo is technically a mechanical, it is generally thought of as being in its own class of bottom feeding box mods. Those have their own specialty sub-forum.

I have nothing against bottom feeders, I own one. I also realize Reo owners are as devote and loyal as Provari owners, but a bottom feeder is limited to but a couple of juice attachments, where the Provari's is almost limitless. There is no question a Provari is more versatile than a bottom feeder.

Last edited:

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
If you have to ask, then get a provari instead of that mechanical. Mechanicals are only nice looking paperweights (or dangerous) in the hands of folks who don't have the technical expertise to use and understand them. So cut your teeth on a provari instead of a caravela or k100 o whatver mech because a, error code sure beats having to replace a spring or see sparks

RHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread