Vamo NO1 and NO2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
I have my Vamo set on NO2. Occasionally I will get a really harsh it and will find out that it is set on NO1 but I did not change the setting. You have to hold the button down for a long time to get it to change so I do not think it is me accidentally hitting the button. Does anyone else have a Vamo that will revert back to NO1 after being set on NO2?

DirewolfUSMC

Victory to the Bold
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Shorewood, IL, USA
I have my Vamo set on NO2. Occasionally I will get a really harsh it and will find out that it is set on NO1 but I did not change the setting. You have to hold the button down for a long time to get it to change so I do not think it is me accidentally hitting the button. Does anyone else have a Vamo that will revert back to NO1 after being set on NO2?

My first one did, but the small buttons were a little jacked up after abusing it. Occasionally it would change the voltage and wattage (depending on which mode I was in) and I would always have to check it before taking a vape, but it would also switch back to NO1 which provided for a nice surprise. Since getting a new one, I have yet to have that happen again (fingers crossed).

Ryan Bennett

Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
findlay, ohio
ok I'm confused I am a farely new vamo v2 user. I found out there are the 2 different modes, and I have been using mine so it displays no1 on the screen. If I put it on my voltmeter at 4.6volts, my multimeter reads 4.6 volts, if I change it to no2 on 4.6volts it reads something a lot less than that and the hit is way lower... I was told the no1 mode sucks and not to use it, but why would I want to use a mode that's not putting out what it's reading on the screen? for instance I am using a 3.0 ohm cart at 4.6volts on no1 mode and that tastes great and if you look at a volt/ohm chart that should be about right, but if I change it back to where it displays no2 the hit is a lot less.... Is my vamo messed up or am I not getting something here?

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
ok I'm confused I am a farely new vamo v2 user. I found out there are the 2 different modes, and I have been using mine so it displays no1 on the screen. If I put it on my voltmeter at 4.6volts, my multimeter reads 4.6 volts, if I change it to no2 on 4.6volts it reads something a lot less than that and the hit is way lower... I was told the no1 mode sucks and not to use it, but why would I want to use a mode that's not putting out what it's reading on the screen? for instance I am using a 3.0 ohm cart at 4.6volts on no1 mode and that tastes great and if you look at a volt/ohm chart that should be about right, but if I change it back to where it displays no2 the hit is a lot less.... Is my vamo messed up or am I not getting something here?

I leave all the numbers/voltage/ohms out of my vaping experience for the most part. I know my 'sweet spot' for voltage or wattage but that's about it. I use NO2 because I have better luck that way with dialing in the taste. There is nothing wrong with NO1 mode but I've heard that is for more 'advanced' vapors...

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
I am just trying to better understand it I guess. I've been using no1 for the passed month. I want to use whatever mode is the most popular and more likely to be on other mods. So If I get a new one like a sid or something I'm not all confused and trying to figure out what's what.

Then you want NO2. They removed the NO1 option on the Vamo with the V3 and up.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Mode #1 is Average Voltage, and like most mods running these chips, it runs "hot" in Variable Voltage. Some vapers interpret this as "hitting harder", but that is simply down to the mod using Average Voltage in Mode #1, which doesn't really reflect the actual voltage that hit your coil.

Mode #2 is RMS Voltage. This mode uses the RMS (Root Mean Square) algorithm to determine output voltage under load, and is much more accurate than the Average Voltage method. RMS voltage readings are lower than average voltage readings, and this is likely why when you switch from Mode #1 to Mode #2, the vape seems weaker.

Mode #2 (RMS) is much more accurate, and in Variable Wattage mode, it delivers a more consistent vape, regardless of atomizer resistance ... 4.6 Watts into a 3.0Ω coil is only actually delivering about 3.7V; to get the equivalent vape of 4.6V into the same atomizer, you'd need to bump the Vamo up to about 7 Watts.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
In mode 2 the Vamo is using a boost circuit to raise the battery voltage from a nominal 3.7 to six volts. It then varies the time that the six volt output is maintained to the atomizer, resulting in a square wave at about 30 pulses per second, if I remember correctly, and by varying the "on time" controls the realized power output. Trying to measure that with a DC voltmeter won't work at all and I doubt switching to AC will work out well either since that is designed for 60 cycle use. The only way to really know, see, what's going on is to use an oscilloscope. If you check reviews of the Vamo on YouTube, Phil Busardo shows the waveforms involved under actual operation.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
In mode 2 the Vamo is using a boost circuit to raise the battery voltage from a nominal 3.7 to six volts. It then varies the time that the six volt output is maintained to the atomizer, resulting in a square wave at about 30 pulses per second, if I remember correctly, and by varying the "on time" controls the realized power output. Trying to measure that with a DC voltmeter won't work at all and I doubt switching to AC will work out well either since that is designed for 60 cycle use. The only way to really know, see, what's going on is to use an oscilloscope. If you check reviews of the Vamo on YouTube, Phil Busardo shows the waveforms involved under actual operation.

Does that mean that mode 1 bypasses the PWM?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
No, mode 1 is a, flat, variable voltage mode. The voltage delivered is whatever you set it to. Keep in mind that pushing the voltage over a nominal 3.7 volts requires a boost circuit to operate. Boost circuits are nowhere nearly efficient as a "buck" or regulator circuit. The result being that in Mode 2, RMS, or in Mode 1, over 3.7 volts, additional power is drawn by the Vamo, itself. That power is "wasted" and not available to the atomizer, resulting in shortened vape time. For illustration check out this blog entry with a commercial, computer controlled, battery analyzer simulating, more or less, actual vaping conditions for a single 18650, 3.7 volts to the Vamo, versus a stacked pair of 18350s, 7.4 volts to the Vamo. The test was conducted using measurements from two, different, Vamos using RMS mode and the same atomizer. I am not advocating the use of stacked 18350 batteries by anyone.

http://leosedf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0...tery-test.html

(to be read at double speed)
Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. Your results and mileage may vary. No warranty or guarantee is expressed or implied. Proceed at your own risk. The end user agrees to hold the poster harmless and without liability. I am not a scientist, chemist or physicist and hold no academic degrees, nor do I play one on TV.

Ryan Bennett

Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
findlay, ohio
So say I put a 3Ω cart in rms mode, what's going to be the closest to 4.6v in avd mode? Where is a good place to start? I guess I'll just try to figure it out on my own. Also in rms mode in VW, if I'm at 8w with a 2.6Ω cart and then put in a 3.0Ω cart, does it automatically change the pwoer to be the same as it was with the 2.6Ω cart? I seen a video and the guy said that it automatically adjusts when you put in a new cart.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Yes it automatically adjust to the resistance of the atomizer to maintain the set wattage. That's a big advantage in RMS and power mode. I believe the VV part was just to follow the trend of VV devices and make it attractive when first released. Now, most use them in RMS/wattage mode so they seem to be dropping the AVG and VV features, although the V5 seems to have both, still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread