ProTank 2 gurgling

Status
Not open for further replies.

AskJoey

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
So first, the thing was getting super dry hits. Tried removing one flavor wick. Then so gurgly I could,t vape it. So I bought a new wick. Same exact situation. Now I tried putting the wicks back to normal (2 flavor wicks) and still gurgling. what gives? I'm at 6 volts too... and when it works, the draw is airy so its not too tight on there.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
It is at 6 volts after I removed the flavor wicks. 50/50 juice. Stock coil I was at 3.8 to 4 V

And the heads resistance is?

Ill say it again, 6v is alotta juice.

SafeVapingPowerChart_zpsf30410b2.jpg

credit to Baditude for above chart.

Bkag

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
It is at 6 volts after I removed the flavor wicks. 50/50 juice. Stock coil I was at 3.8 to 4 V

The voltage is determined by the battery and (if applicable) the mods settings. Removing flavor wicks doesn't affect voltage. Have you tried running it at 3.5-4v with the flavor wicks intact?

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Don't remove the flavor wicks.

They're there for a reason, and you're currently experiencing why.

I swear, when I meet Phil Busardo, he's getting whipped upside his wobbly head for ever suggesting that it's a good idea.

If anything, add to them.

Did I mention thst they're there for a reason?

Cwig

Aug 24, 2013
Texas
I rebuild my coils in the 1.8-2.0 ohm range and hardly ever go over 3.8 volts. Most of the time I'm at 3.3-3.4V depending on the juice. As far as flooding the Pro Tank II goes, the only time it's happened is when I was stingy with the wick. To much wick and you can choke off the juice and get dry hits quit often, so there is somewhat a fine line there.

Last edited:

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
I remove the flavor wicks from every single coil I buy if I'm in a pinch and need to buy them (1.5, 1.8 and 2.0's). They do nothing for me and I was using 50/50, switched to 60/40 and still took them out. The tube that locks down over the wick(s) is a snug fit and one wick is really all that's needed.

Both PBusardo and Nick (GrimmGreen) even suggested removing them; I see why. For one, in the few I've not modified, the flavor wicks do tend to burn up because they can't hold much juice. The silica is just too thin, but any thicker and it'd clog and little air flow would be able to pass in to assist the wicking.

That said, I've found silica in general to be problematic, which is why I moved to cotton. It wicks better, and while I can't dry burn it, it's so cheap, you could burn 50 wicks a day and still have plenty of cotton to make more for days or weeks :).

I swear, when I meet Phil Busardo, he's getting whipped upside his wobbly head for ever suggesting that it's a good idea.

Cwig

Aug 24, 2013
Texas
That said, I've found silica in general to be problematic, which is why I moved to cotton. It wicks better, and while I can't dry burn it, it's so cheap, you could burn 50 wicks a day and still have plenty of cotton to make more for days or weeks :).

+1

I use Peaches n Cream 100% cotton yarn from Walmart. It has 4 strands but using only 3 have worked perfect for me. And the flavor seems to be a lot better than silica as well. When needed, I can change the cotton wick as/almost as fast as rinsing silica wick and dry burning.

razor4432

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wisconsin

He mentioned he removed them because he was using Boba's Bounty, and also said to try it first with them all in there and remove if you need to. If you see Boba's in real life you'd know why, this stuff is thick. Just loaded some up in mine so we'll see how that goes. Was experiencing the same gurgling/flooding using a 50/50 mix with 1 flavor wick removed.

I agree to leave the heads alone using anything that is not super thick. If you're going to be hitting it like a freight train just do some dry pulls to let the wicking keep up. I've noticed for me it sometimes can't keep up with chain vaping on a 50/50 mix.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
I'm vaping a protank mini II, with 1 flavor wick instead of 2. I dry burn the coil (2.5ohm) nightly. I had some issues with gurgling and flooding this evening. I just took it apart, and did a thorough cleaning, with special attention to the seals. It's vaping like new again. I don't know if this would apply to a full size protank. Just my :2c:

Also: The single flavor wick hasn't been an issue for me at 100%PG, 80%PG/20% VG, or 100%VG (Boba). Bonus, I can save half of my flavor wicks as backups.

Last edited:

Nightshard

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Israel

I remember watching that vid, asking myself why is he telling ppl to remove a wick.

The stock protank is just fine as is, so if something isn't broken don't try to fix it.
3.8 v for 1.8 ohm and 4.2 v for 2.2 or 5 - 5.5 w is high enough

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I recently put a new head in my Protank and when I got about half way through a tank it started to leak and gurgle. The glass tank was loose and could spin around so I thought maybe air was getting in through the top section and that a partial vacuum is needed to keep it from leaking so I sealed around the joint with silicone sealant.

No change so I pulled the head and there was only 1 flavor wick in it so I added some more silica from a dead clearomizer, it looks like a rats nest but it's working fine now. The Protank I have is the version 1 or is it the 1.5 anyway it's the version that has the bridge across the bottom section to hold the tube in place.

I should mention that I have had to remove wicks from other heads in order to make them work without giving dry hits or burnt taste so I was surprised that I actually had to add a wick. IMO PBussardo is correct in saying to try it without removing any wicks first and if it works good leave it, if you get dry hit or burnt taste try removing a flavor wick.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
He mentioned he removed them because he was using Boba's Bounty, and also said to try it first with them all in there and remove if you need to. If you see Boba's in real life you'd know why, this stuff is thick. Just loaded some up in mine so we'll see how that goes. Was experiencing the same gurgling/flooding using a 50/50 mix with 1 flavor wick removed.

I agree to leave the heads alone using anything that is not super thick. If you're going to be hitting it like a freight train just do some dry pulls to let the wicking keep up. I've noticed for me it sometimes can't keep up with chain vaping on a 50/50 mix.

I have a Protank 2 full of Boba's and an Evod full of Gorilla Juice right now. Both BCC's have cotton flavor wicks that are about 20-30% thicker than the stock wicks that came on the coils.

All of my DIY liquids are 100% VG, and my go-to store bought liquids are from Johnson Creek's Red Oak line, which have zero PG but do include distilled water.

All of my delivery systems are bottom coil and include Evods, Protanks, MT3S, SmokTech Aro's and Kamry X10's. No problems at all. No Vivi Novas, No CE*'s and no cartos and no cartotanks.

Most of the time, genuine Kanger Evods, MT3S and Protanks with genuine Kanger coil heads work great right out of the box and don't need tinkering with. However, some variation in manufacturing might result in someone getting a coil head with a misaligned coil/wick assembly, or poorly placed or insufficient wicks. Those might need seeing to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread