Puffy the vaporizer slayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookyluke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
carlton, VIC, AU
I think that there should be something better. What about creating a vape hive mind and task force. Like what is really needed? Compu tech engineer. Electrical engineer. Technical fabrication engineer. Tool maker. And then what? A knowledgeable bunch of vapers. Lay out specs. Fine tune tolerances. Eliminate tolerances. Oh and one of those engineers that make .... look good? Industrial design Engineer?

i see people going on about hoe great this and that is. i think there are enough minds and skills and knowledge of great vaping in this community to change the world of vaping.

maybe we could make a start?

the vape super hero, so to speak.

so i put out a open invite.
starting from the ground up.
what does everyone want?

:2cool:

spookyluke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
carlton, VIC, AU
Then be able to mass produce it for under $100

yeah that's the plan! except it would require considering that thing, whats it called where people think its better and want/desire/lust it more when it is in the higher price range? that creates a huge emotional investment before the consumer even gets the product. but yes, to really execute the plan would be to create the true hero "PUFFY the VApe-eMPIRE SLAYER" it should be for the good of the public.

if it wasn't possible there would be a lot less throw away junk on the market that people actually buy until they find out a little more and get a APV or MECH. to me it seems there are tons of APV's and MECH's with very little differences in their field aside from the looks of the battery tube. so heaps of people can and have done such things.

and i'm not against provari's and REO's... cant say many people have any reason to be, I want to be on their side . I don't want to create a monster to send into battle. I want to accelerate the evoloution, or start a revolution. or something....

well does anyone get it?

Well, I like your thoughts. I've made lots of plans to make a few mods myself, either use a little micro controller with a program stored in it that has all of the functions that all other APVs already have, and maybe more if I could think of any. Personally, as I have thought about it a lot, I think a VV mod that does NOT have a micro controller in it would possibly be more durable. I envision a little wooden box mod that looks somewhat like an old radio tuner, with a few little knobs (for analog variable-voltage, maybe a potentiometer to add resistance to your coils), and a little analog voltage meter (like the old battery testers have with the little needle) that would show you exactly how much voltage your battery is supplying at that moment instead of a 7-seg led display where the voltage displayed is NOT the voltage your battery is supplying. Shouldn't be that difficult, just need a good 510/ego connector for the atty, and the rest could be as high quality as you can afford. Someone here had pointed out once that using an old co-axial BNC adapter would be better for attys, I agree, no threads to wear on. If you like the functionality of these micro controller APVs, I'm sure there's someone out there who's written some programs to make one from an Arduino or a Raspberry-Pi. I still think that going analog (no-microcontrollers) would be more dependable.

spookyluke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
carlton, VIC, AU
Well, I like your thoughts. I've made lots of plans to make a few mods myself, either use a little micro controller with a program stored in it that has all of the functions that all other APVs already have, and maybe more if I could think of any. Personally, as I have thought about it a lot, I think a VV mod that does NOT have a micro controller in it would possibly be more durable. I envision a little wooden box mod that looks somewhat like an old radio tuner, with a few little knobs (for analog variable-voltage, maybe a potentiometer to add resistance to your coils), and a little analog voltage meter (like the old battery testers have with the little needle) that would show you exactly how much voltage your battery is supplying at that moment instead of a 7-seg led display where the voltage displayed is NOT the voltage your battery is supplying. Shouldn't be that difficult, just need a good 510/ego connector for the atty, and the rest could be as high quality as you can afford. Someone here had pointed out once that using an old co-axial BNC adapter would be better for attys, I agree, no threads to wear on. If you like the functionality of these micro controller APVs, I'm sure there's someone out there who's written some programs to make one from an Arduino or a Raspberry-Pi. I still think that going analog (no-microcontrollers) would be more dependable.

I like your analog circuitry idea but that does make for a bulky device? Not something that everyone would want.

http://sigbanner.e-cigarette-forum.com/sig2/sig.php?start=2013/08/16&rate=20[/IMG][/URL]

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Some tall orders coming in here, just some input on a few points:

I think a VV mod that does NOT have a micro controller in it would possibly be more durable.
I'd say both are equally durable, it depends on how the circuit is protected.

maybe a potentiometer to add resistance to your coils
This decreases the efficiency of the circuit and is not needed if VV/VW.

and a little analog voltage meter (like the old battery testers have with the little needle)
I've looked and these don't come small, there has to be a box large enough for the needle to move and they are quite thick too.

whats it called where people think its better and want/desire/lust it more when it is in the higher price range?
I think they call it "Apple" :laugh:

that creates a huge emotional investment before the consumer even gets the product
Like calling it an "Eco-mod" or a "Crafts-mod", hehe.

Sorry if this seems to be biting criticism here, but I'm just playing devil's advocate and feeling a bit of Neo-Realism today. No harm intended, carry on. :)

Goog point on not needing the potentiometer if it's a VV mod, I guess if I do end up ever actually carrying out any plan to make one I can add a potentiometer if it isn't VV. I originally thought about having a potentiometer that could be set to different ranges, say one setting that went from 0-.5 ohms, then another setting with it from 0-1.5 ohms, and a third with 0-3 ohms. This might be a little tricky and not so functional when you factor in other options. I haven't looked into the possibility of finding a very small gauge for the voltage meter, and I too have only seen quite large ones. There must be something like it that could be implemented without taking up too much space. Remember when name brand batteries had that little tape that showed how much battery life you had left when you pressed on it? I think it would be nice to have a reliable measure of the battery you are using and at that moment, instead of setting your APV to 4.5 Volts and it firing at 4.0...

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Personally, I would like a set up that allowed me to customize things myself as much as possible. This would be by having a set of computer models that fit with your electronics, and put them on a place like Shapeways.com. Then you simply order the version you want, and it gets rapid-prototype printed. Also, I would love the ability to edit the model myself. You would be selling the electronics kit, and the model itself via the service on Shapeways.com. You might also just release a few models to the public, so that they can have the basic insides that will hold your electronics. Of course, none of the above would prevent you from offering pre-assembled units, with perhaps some limited customization.

As for the electronics. I think today people are expecting a device that has the following,

Digital read out.
More than a single button for the menu system.
Variable Voltage.
Variable Wattage.
Battery status.
Atomizer Ohm reading.
Can charge the battery via USB without removing the batteries.

A plus, that I would love to see, is a base that I can set the device in, and it starts charging. It doesn't necessarily have to be inductive charging. Simple contacts are fine. It is not uncommon to see such a feature in shavers and electric toothbrushes.

-Joe Dunfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread