Do you vape around your kids?

Do you vape around your kids?

• Yes. I have no problem vaping around my kids.

• Yes. But I'm concerned about their health / letting them see me vape.

• Sometimes: I try to limit how much I vape around my kids.

• Rarely: I actively try to avoid vaping around my kids.

• Never: If my kids are around, I'm either outside, or not vaping.

• Don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we all agree that vaping is orders of magnitude safer than smoking cigarettes, it seems that the traditional attitudes and precautions regarding secondhand smoke seem to apply less to vaping. There are many factors which may determine whether or not someone is comfortable smoking or vaping around others. As well, like drinking alcohol, and smoking, I think we can agree that vaping can be considered an "adult activity."

With this in mind, this poll asks the question, do you vape around your kids?

Discuss your answers and your reasons below.

Last edited:

iz2sick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Burbs of Detroit
Well, one key factor is missing from this thread...

The age range of the kids. Are they old enough to understand that you were a smoker and vaping has helped you quit? I've heard many stories of kids being the ones to push their parents towards vaping.

Vaping around a toddler? Probably not the best idea as they want to do everything that you do and aren't old enough to understand why you're vaping.

Seapup

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia, USA
I try to limit vaping around my 11yo. Not sure why though... I guess it's just habit carried over from the analog days.
shrug.GIF

Mrsobie

Sep 10, 2013
Texas
Well, one key factor is missing from this thread...

The age range of the kids. Are they old enough to understand that you were a smoker and vaping has helped you quit? I've heard many stories of kids being the ones to push their parents towards vaping.

Vaping around a toddler? Probably not the best idea as they want to do everything that you do and aren't old enough to understand why you're vaping.

I agree with this age is a factor my son is 10 yrs old and he has been on me to quit for over a year every since he learned in health that it kills you and gives you cancer so we knew I was quitting and going to use the e-cig he was thrilled he took the last of my cigs and broke them to a million pieces and the Em away so I don't hide my vaping from him and don't go outside like I did with the analogs

analog free since August 27 th 2013

illusion

Nov 26, 2012
methuen,MA
i have mixed feelings about it, on one hand i am not completely sure that it is truly 100% safe witch is FINE for me to inhale but id hate to find out that it could possibly lead to health problems and have exposed my little angle to it. but on the other hand i am fairly confident that its safe and theres no harm in it . she is 4 and loves watching me vape i blow clouds up in the air and she laughs and giggles or trys to jump up and fan them away ( witch i do try to limit ) and for the most part if she is in the room i am sitting on the couch with the windows behind me open with a fan venting the room. but i never vape in the car with the windows up and i try to vape as little as possible in the car with her, in a big open room its one thing but not in a airtight small place or where it can blow back directly in her face, i hope that helps

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
I have an 18 yr old son, 15 year old son and 2 yr old daughter. Im a chain vapor. I even vape with my daughter in the bed, on my lap and in the car. They are just happy i dont live on the front porch, they dont have to wait for me to finish my cigarette, they dont cough from my second hand smoke. I smell nicer for hugs and kisses a d my hands dont stink.

Im lucky, if i leave my mod on the table my daughter will just bring it to me. She says uh oh mommies, doesnt matter what im doing, on the phone, on the toilet here she comes to bring me my ecig. With that said i try to not leave it laying around. But so far she understands its mommys and not hers.

In the beginning it felt wierd. I felt like i was hitting a pipe or something. But the more i vape in the home, around my family the less cigarettes i smoke

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
My son is grown now, and loves it when I vape. He manages a store in a mall, and encourages his smoking employees to vape out back when they need to, rather than taking a cigarette break. (He has never smoked).

He also doesn't mind if I vape around the grandchildren. (4,7, and 9). They all understand that smoking is bad, and that Grammy is using these to keep from smoking. Rather than wanting to try it, they all understand how difficult it is to quit smoking, and don't ever want to start themselves. They also want me to keep vaping so I don't start smoking again.

Angiebubs

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
Amery, WI
It was thanks to my daughter (now 14) that I quit smoking and started vaping. I used to sneak outside smoke, come in wash, brush my teeth, spray on body spray etc-yes everytime I was home and smoked. When she broke down crying and said she knew I was still smoking and didn't want to see "me die", I knew it was time. I tried vaping (with a frustrated attitude) and surprise surprise-here I am 3 yrs later NOT smoking. With that said, she is so thrilled that I stopped smoking that its almost a security to her as she knows that my vaping means I am not back smoking. I don't blow it at her etc, but I do sit around vaping. Currently, most of the time I am with her, I am vaping zero nicotine as well. (During the day commuting etc I am using higher). Just my input.

Red Hood

Feb 11, 2014
Jump City, USA
I think about this often. Me and my girlfriend started smoking together, we switched to vapor together... We've been together for years, it's pretty serious. I think about the future with her a lot, with graduating and whatnot. But since we indulge together... would we both quit altogether just to provide our potential kids with a positive influence?

I mean bad habits are bad habits, but some people consider video games a bad habit, does that mean dad shouldn't be allowed to come home and enjoy whatever he wants to do after work? It's not an issue of "rights" it's just an issue of relativity. Deep down, if you feel like vaping in front of your kids is no different from playing video games after work or having a brew, why the heck not? :vapor:

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
My kids are 5 and 8, I vape around them, but then again I used to smoke around them too (outdoors of course). Do I think it's a good idea? Not really, and here's some reasons why:

- when I used to smoke, my 8 year old would always lecture me about how bad it is and that I should quit. Therefore, I didn't have as much a worry of her gaining interest in it because she knows it's harmful and smells awful.

- Now that I vape around them. My 8 year old is showing too much interest in it. Always asking questions like: "what flavor is that?" "mmmm that smells so good" "can I try it? why not? it's not smoke".... etc

Sure, vaping is a far healthier alternative to smoking, but I'd rather my kids not end up either smoking or vaping.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Since I have looked at the studies, done the math, and I have educated myself and have not fallen into paranoid irrational thinking, that equates vaping to smoking, I vape around my kids without a second thought.

I even let my 16 and 20 year old try my 0mg juice. I have found the quickest way to get a teenager to do something is to somehow make it "bad" or "forbidden". Take away the mystery, take away the motivation.

I'd be a hypocrite if I told my kids it's okay for Dad to vape, but they shouldn't. My actions have to back my words. My house is a not a "do as I say not as I do" zone.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
OT

It was thanks to my daughter (now 14) that I quit smoking and started vaping. I used to sneak outside smoke, come in wash, brush my teeth, spray on body spray etc-yes everytime I was home and smoked. When she broke down crying and said she knew I was still smoking and didn't want to see "me die", I knew it was time.

OMG.
Why won't anybody "think of the children" when brainwashing them to make them think and act that way?
Why won't anybody "think of the children" when destroying their happiness by making them think that their parents will "die" of their habit?
Why won't anybody "think of the children" when brainwashing them to pressure their parents (the people who gave birth to them and raised, clothed and fed them) into stopping doing something that some "authorities" think is "bad"?
And I thought the Eastern Bloc was horrible in indoctrinating children and making them turn against their parents.
Boy, was I wrong....

/OT

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
I've often wondered about this, but ultimately I don't really have an opinion. Over here in the UK the media is hitting vaping hard by 'thinking of the children', assuming that it's a gateway drug that leads onto smoking and then ultimately further (seriously). I had family that smoked around me when I was a kid, and it wasn't a big deal so I'm certainly not against vaping around kids.

The only time I thought anything negative about it was the guy on here that gave his very young child an e-cig without a battery so that he could play with it and pretend he was vaping like Daddy. Very irresponsible if Daddy ever left his powered up e-cig with nic juice lying around. Otherwise, I completely agree with showing slightly older kids that you're vaping instead of smoking. If nothing else, it will improve the image in the future for us by being totally normal (not that it's anything less, but everyone has had the strange looks from strangers before :D)

rucni

ECF Veteran
i smoked around my kids drink around my kids and vape around my kids. my parents beat it into me that smoking and drinking where bad. when i was younger they tried to hide their drinking from me. i started smoking at in 94 at age 11, and started vaping at 29, almost 30, my kids trashed the cancer sticks i had left when i got my ego kits and its been solid vaping since. my kids know smoking in bad, thank you public schools, and that vaping has nic in it and thats a mommy and daddy thing like booze and beer and they arent to touch it.

Kellysleep

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Lynchburg,VA,USA
When I smoked I did around my daughter and now that I vape I do it around her. I am very honest with her she hated that I smoked and is very happy I switched to vaping. There are far worse things in the world for me to concern myself with that could harm my daughter than what may or may not be in second hand vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread