Modifying your mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
So the new craze is to mod your reo to address voltage drop. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference. The thing is, most people shouldn't be altering their devices. If you have a background in electronics and you're aware of the risks, that’s another story. Removing the spring and replacing it with a loose fuse is a bad idea. There is room for something to go wrong and it will for someone. Someone is going to have a melt down doing this, I know it for a fact. Without the spring the battery can't drop and break the connection if there is a short. My first priority is safety.

I am working on a kit for sub ohm vapers that will reduce the voltage drop safely. I will push this as hard as I can to get it done quickly.

Please note that modifying your Reo nullifies the warranty. That doesn't mean I won't make repairs in the event of a problem, it just means you will be charged for the repairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
if that fuse contacts the battery door or any part of the body with the top leg then it will render the fuse protection completely useless, and you def are correct that it can cause a big problem in the event of a short. bravo for addressing this and even more so for actually working on a solution, very impressive...

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I have been reading and cringing for a week now reading different threads.

I am one that will NOT be changing anything in my REO's. I will keep my ohm's at .9 or higher.

Thank you Robert for stepping up and putting this in a sticky thread.

Your kit sounds like it will give those Reonauts that want a viable option.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK

I am one that will NOT be changing anything in my REO's. I will keep my ohm's at .9 or higher.

+1^^^ Exactly. Never have/never will modify any of mine.....probably won't be buying a kit.....appreciate the fact that you're addressing the situation. [Karen: Have done my share of cringing right along with ya.... :)]

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas

I'll fess up to doing a lot of cringing, too! I don't see needing a boost, personally, as I don't do ohms much lower than 1.4 with my sweet juices, but I can see maybe, just maybe, doing a little boost on Mini 1.0s. So, if Robert does his "endorsed mod" for the 14500 I may give one or two a whirl.

And thanks so very much, Robert for all you do and for this OP.

{edit} Many of my AW batteries have some age on them. New 14500s would probably give the 1.0s some boost and vape time but I'd rather direct my money elsewhere right now.... Like a couple more RM2s for example.:)

Last edited:

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well said Rob.

For myself a long time REO user I am very happy and always have been with the REO.

Progress has been made over the last few years in the regards to performance of all REO’s

But the Safety of the REO has always been a big seller for me. This is one of the reasons I put one in my wife’s hands and did not worry about her safety. That was the last thing I need her to worry about when she was trying to quit smoking.

Rob has always thought of our safety first. I am sure that will always be his #1 priority.

Now with that said there is always new ideas to explore and new breakthroughs in vaping will continue.
The New BF-RBS’s have only hit the REO and the Vaping world in the last year or so. Before that it was how good were the 1.5 ohm attys and where to buy them or the best carto to use on them. Oh and there was the 6v craze that has come and gone.

I have seen a lot of new items come out and most have gone by the wayside.
The REO has always worked (In my Opinion) on simple and safe is better principle.

I am sure in time (When Rob gets some) there will be new updates to the REO but it all takes time.

As a small business owner myself, I know I will never be able to please everyone but always try to build my business so our product will works as intended for the majority that use our service and we are always open to new ideas. There is always a work around for the special cases but they're less the 1% of our product users.

I am sure Rob looks at it the same way. (I could be wrong on that, but I doubt it)

Keep up the good work Rob, It’s been a long run and I am proud to say I was there in the beginning. I always will be a REO user and supporter of the REO.

I am also proud to call you friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vapeaddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Southern Cloud Cartel Arlington, TX
I am fully aware of the risks much like when I was in the custom PC business overclocking/making custom tailored bios rom's for motherboards ect and do appreciate the warnings.

If I melt something down I fully understand it is of my own doing. I will still be purchasing your subΩ kit Rob once it's available.

For whatever its worth I purchased the tubled raw with the intention of mod'ing it. My original black and metallic blue remains and will remain stock.

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
I love all my reos straight out of the box, but I also love to tinker. To me, tinkering is just as relaxing as a nice vape and a beer after work.

I'd like to think that those of us tinkering with our mods know what we are doing and understand the risks, but like Rob said... there's always the one who doesn't.

I look forward to seeing Rob's mod kit, as well as seeing how many of our ideas get incorporated into it ;)

Vape on!

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
I love all my reos straight out of the box, but I also love to tinker. To me, tinkering is just as relaxing as a nice vape and a beer after work.

I'd like to think that those of us tinkering with our mods know what we are doing and understand the risks, but like Rob said... there's always the one who doesn't.

I look forward to seeing Rob's mod kit, as well as seeing how many of our ideas get incorporated into it ;)

Vape on!

don't worry about it Monkey.

i'd be willing to bet that Rob realizes (like the rest of us) that you, pdib, dhomes and a few of the others are just freakin flat-out nuts...

... and it's really the rest of us putzes that he worries about, because you dudes are way past hope, redemption or salvation...

umm, that's my way of agreeing with your post :)

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
don't worry about it Monkey.

i'd be willing to bet that Rob realizes (like the rest of us) that you, pdib, dhomes and a few of the others are just freakin flat-out nuts...

... and it's really the rest of us putzes that he worries about, because you dudes are way past hope, redemption or salvation...

So we have Reonauts and Reonutz ......LoL Just messing with you mad modders yo!

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL

Yes we are :lol:

To be honest I think everyone can benefit from this kit. The resulting decrease in vDrop will even allow for better battery life and even bigger micro coils that'll get you the same power you were getting from smaller ones.

I have modded all 3 of my REOs. Hell, when I got my copper vein the first thing I did, the very first thing, was remove the spring, sand it down and place a fuse. I've been rolling all 3 of my REOs with the fuse mod no problem at 0.5 ohms each. I got a guy to buy a REO but he wanted both flavor and clouds, so there is a certain population that wants that sub-ohm performance. We all got a different sweet spot :D. If you feel like you are not missing out on anything and your setup gives you that vaping nirvana, then you probably won't want to look into modifying anything. I was reluctant to try anything below 0.8 ohms saying it wasn't necessary. Well turns out I gave it a fair shot and now I'm stuck at 0.5-0.6 ohms. You never know 'till you try :p.

I'm very excited to see what Rob comes up with. I'm still glad I sanded down the area of the spring even if I end up using one again, it still gives me the sense of better conductivity. Oh yeah, I love to tinker. Can't help it :p :lol:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
Yes we are :lol:

To be honest I think everyone can benefit from this kit. The resulting decrease in vDrop will even allow for better battery life and even bigger micro coils that'll get you the same power you were getting from smaller ones.

just reading that just gives me a headache :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread