Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
When you say "coil"... on what atty are we talking about?

All conventional atty coils will eventually degrade and break... but, depending on a variety of variables, some can last for months in regular service. The "use - clean - use - clean" cycle can be repeated only so many times.

The quality of the vape, after a cleaning, will determine when it's time to toss it.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I agree. They are disposable--sooner or later they have to be discarded.

But their life can be prolonged by cleaning--and of course, they can even be rebuilt. But that takes some skill and resolve. I just soak mine in PGA every couple of days or so and as soon as the flavor and vapor production begin to diminish, I just toss them.

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Good morning all. I am new to this forum and vaping. I came here in hopes of getting some education and so far I have. I found this thread and I am hoping to get some help. I read about cleaning tanks and all the parts associated with it. People on here ha e said use alcohol or vodka. Well another place that I got my protank mini from said never use alcohol only use soap and water so the Orings won't dry out. Now I am confused. A friend let me borrow a tank and I want to clean it to give it back but I don't want to screw it up. Can someone please tell me the proper way to clean them. Thanks.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Good morning all. I am new to this forum and vaping. I came here in hopes of getting some education and so far I have. I found this thread and I am hoping to get some help. I read about cleaning tanks and all the parts associated with it. People on here ha e said use alcohol or vodka. Well another place that I got my protank mini from said never use alcohol only use soap and water so the Orings won't dry out. Now I am confused. A friend let me borrow a tank and I want to clean it to give it back but I don't want to screw it up. Can someone please tell me the proper way to clean them. Thanks.

Hi Vicshalls!

Please clean your tank body with warm water and a little dish washing detergent (or just water)--nothing else. The coil assembly (the atomizer coil and wick) can be soaked in alcohol--PGA or cheap strong vodka!

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Sorry to not respond earlier, I had to go to work. I have a Kanger evod just like the one in this video.. Vapor Lady Lounge Kanger eVod, Protank, MT3, Cleaning and Burning The Atomizer for Better Vaping - YouTube. I bought the starter kit which gives you 5 extra coils. Actually I have bought 2 kits. LOL As I said I didn't know the coils could be cleaned. I'm sure I should have changed it sooner and now see the BIG difference it makes. I know it is not going to be the same for everyone but on average how many times do you clean a coil before you chunk it. I won't venture into rebuilding yet but who knows maybe someday.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Ld!

Nice video. There's no telling how long they will last. It depends mostly on what kind of juice you're using; sweet, dark, highly flavored juices will gunk up the coil very fast and necessitate frequent cleaning. The more you manipulate the coil and the wicks, the faster they will wear out. Dry cleaning stresses the coil and any coil can pop during the procedure.

Those coils are inexpensive so I don't go crazy trying to prolong their life; I soak them in alcohol (PGA or vodka) for a few hours; I may do a quick dry burn if there's a lot of buildup. I also "wet burn" my coils often--I just fill the tank (1/2 a tank or so) with unflavored base or just plain PG or PG/VG blend and vape that (at higher wattage, usually 7-8 watts) until the juice in the tank runs clear. Repeat if necessary. PG is a good solvent and I feel that those wet burns are easier on the coil than the dry burns.

As soon as I begin to notice that the coil doesn't perform like it used to, I throw it away and grab a new one. You'll know when that happens--with a little experience!

Good luck and happy vaping!

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
Hi Vicshalls!

Please clean your tank body with warm water and a little dish washing detergent (or just water)--nothing else. The coil assembly (the atomizer coil and wick) can be soaked in alcohol--PGA or cheap strong vodka!

Hey There Vicshalls,
Ditto to the post from Katya. Tank parts in warm water/smidge dish soap, coil/wick with vodka, or everclear seams to do the trick. :p

Fred Garvin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I just toss mine. Once a week I put in a new coil. They're only $5 for a 5 pack, so a buck a coil isn't worth the effort to me. I buy (4) packs every three months or so ($20). Every other order I get a couple batteries ($14 ea) and toss the old ones as about 6 months they stop lasting as long or producing as much power.

I guess I could try cleaning the coil mid-week.....by the time I get to the 7 day mark they start tasting like an ashtray.....not that I eat ashtrays....but they taste like an ashtray smells.

LeftHandBlack

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2013
Brighton Co
I use the Kanger Evod clearomizers exclusively. I have 7 of them. I clean the wick/coil units after every tankful of juice. I rinse the tank out with water. Rinse the coil/wick with water and air dry overnight. Before I use them I blot the wick with a paper towel til dry and ready to go. I get 4-6 weeks out of a unit until to coil wire breaks.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
I've been using these exclusively lately. PBusardo also has a good vid on these as well. A PBusardo Review All About The EVOD - Includes Recoiling - YouTube While I do have probably 30-40 replacement heads, I only replace one if it dies. Otherwise I remove the top, remove the flavor wicks and rinse & dry burn the coil. I use 2 pieces of 1mm silica wick to replace the flavor wick and I'm good to go. Having a sizeable stash makes it easy to replace if one starts acting funny, when I get 8-10 that need cleaning I do it all at one time. I can't tell you the last time one actually died. hth! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread