Juice preferences - can you know what you'll like before you try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the convoluted title. From what I've read here, many new vapers are disappointed with the first juices they order, and the general recommendation seems to be to just order lots of stuff and try it because there is no way of knowing what you'll like before you do. Is this your experience too?

I'm asking because I'm about to take the plunge and order my first set, and I'm really lost as to what juices I might like and how to approach this. FWIW, I've been smoking menthols for many years, currently just below a pack a day of American Spirits menthol lights.

My hunch would be to go with a few menthol types, but what else should I get and what would you base this decision on? Your preference of ice-cream flavors?

Comments and advice welcome.

borboleta

Oct 6, 2013
Dallas, TX, USA
Sorry for the convoluted title. From what I've read here, many new vapers are disappointed with the first juices they order, and the general recommendation seems to be to just order lots of stuff and try it because there is no way of knowing what you'll like before you do. Is this your experience too?

I'm asking because I'm about to take the plunge and order my first set, and I'm really lost as to what juices I might like and how to approach this. FWIW, I've been smoking menthols for many years, currently just below a pack a day of American Spirits menthol lights.

My hunch would be to go with a few menthol types, but what else should I get and what would you base this decision on? Your preference of ice-cream flavors?

Hi there! I'm a new vaper too so maybe I can be of help. When I first started a couple of months ago, I went with sweet/fruity flavors that I already liked, like pomegranate and strawberry. I had a 'beginner' e-cigarette with one of those plastic disposable tanks so I was advised not to use minty or cinnamon flavored vapes with it because the store that sold it to me told me their customers had had problems in the past with those type tanks splitting or cracking.

My favorite vapes at the moment are things I like in real life...coffee with vanilla cream, and pineapple.

Hope this helps!

sigtausteve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Lawton, OK, USA
I would go into a few shops and try some flavors out to see where your preferences are. I used to smoke Marlboro menthol lights and I tend to veer toward the slightly mentholed flavors. I also really enjoy the dark berries (blue berry raspberry etc) as well as citrusy kinds. That would be my recommendation. And hey, if you find a flavor that you think will taste good or you can relate to a flavor that you enjoy outside of vaping I say give it a shot

Jester

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
You can't know. You can only guess.

In my case, I got lucky on the first guess; since I used to smoke Camels, I picked up a bunch of Turkish Tobacco e-liquid from Halo on my first big order. As it turned out, "Turkish Tobacco" didn't taste like tobacco at all to me, but it's bleeping delicious. It remains my favorite flavor. Nothing else yet has even come close.

But not too long after that, I ordered a bunch of sampler juices from a couple of different juice vendors (including Halo, again), and found that I liked very few. The main surprise was with the chocolate flavors; I've always loved chocolate in pretty much every form, but for whatever reason I can't stand any of the several chocolate-flavored e-liquids I've tried. All of them have received raved reviews both on this site and others, and yet I find them downright disgusting. Even the flavors with only faint notes of chocolate violently disagree with my taste buds.

So anyway, feel free to guess; don't stress either -- but also don't put your eggs into too few baskets. Experiment. Don't be surprised if hate flavors you expect to love, or if you end up loving flavors you expect to dislike.

Whiplash205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Cleveland, Ga, USA
If at all possible hit a local store up and sample some stuff. Me and the wife were both ex menthol smokers and neither one of us likes menthol vapes. Turns out she likes fruit flavors and I'm more into savory and bakery stuff, like cinnamon bun, snickers, and a chocolate peanut butter caramel(darkside delerium from moon mountain).

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
there is no way to tell
worse still is your taste will change as your senses clear up what you like or dont like now could be the opposite in 2 months.
ignoring tobacco flavors just order what sounds good and what you think would be something you would like to taste.

Vape anything you think you might like and buy small quantities of a bunch of juices until you settle in. That is my best advice. Some vendors even offer trial sizes.

As Thrasher points out, what you love today may be overpowering once your taste comes back to you.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Three choices come to mind, all mentioned earlier:

1. Local B&M's. These juice bars can produces some surprising results. At the least, they can point you in the right direction.
2. Sampler Packs - Lots of choices here. I tried MyFreedomSmokes initially, and they had several good sampler packs. Their tobacco sampler was surprisingly good with four or five good ones.
3. Once you know direction, from 1 and 2 above, try DIY. Ultimately, I have to make the juices that I vape all day long. There's great juice out there, but it's hard to find, expensive, and easily replicated, in time, and patience, with DIY. More of an art, than a science....DIY, that is.

Good luck to you!

Mark_Henson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Jacksonville, FL, United States
there is no way to tell
worse still is your taste will change as your senses clear up what you like or dont like now could be the opposite in 2 months.
ignoring tobacco flavors just order what sounds good and what you think would be something you would like to taste.

I totally agree with Thrasher. When I started, I had Cherry Cigar that I really liked, but by the time I finished the bottle, I couldn't stand it! I still have a menthol that I love, but have found I like the lighter flavors, like Lichi, and Twisted Kiwi. (E Liq Cube)

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
It's hit and miss, even with flavors one really likes, disappointment is always a risk. I finally found a few that I really loved, but then I started DIY juice. I purchased 9 different flavor extracts with my start up purchase, and now make small 10ml test batches, finding flavors and recipes that will please me. If a test batch is crap, well I'm only out like 80 cents, no big just don't mix it that way again.

Finding a vape bar where you can sample flavors is always a great idea, unfortunately not everyone has one close by. Heard there was one north of me, about 35 miles, but that's pretty inconvenient for me with my work schedule working nights. Now I have my own juice bar, so it's not a factor.

Just try flavors that you like, such as ice cream, or coffee, or even pizza. Only you know what you like to consume. The longer I vape, the more flavors I seem to love, so give it some time to find your thrill, on blueberry hill, or something like that. lol

Welcome and good luck.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
It's hit and miss, even with flavors one really likes, disappointment is always a risk. I finally found a few that I really loved, but then I started DIY juice. I purchased 9 different flavor extracts with my start up purchase, and now make small 10ml test batches, finding flavors and recipes that will please me. If a test batch is crap, well I'm only out like 80 cents, no big just don't mix it that way again.

Finding a vape bar where you can sample flavors is always a great idea, unfortunately not everyone has one close by. Heard there was one north of me, about 35 miles, but that's pretty inconvenient for me with my work schedule working nights. Now I have my own juice bar, so it's not a factor.

Just try flavors that you like, such as ice cream, or coffee, or even pizza. Only you know what you like to consume. The longer I vape, the more flavors I seem to love, so give it some time to find your thrill, on blueberry hill, or something like that. lol

Welcome and good luck.

A vape bar? Dayum...those exist? Ah yes, you are in the "cool" Washington!

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa

So I've heard, but it's only hearsay since I've never been to one. lol

Yeah, "kewl" Washington fer sure, home of the Provari and Mt Baker Vapor!! Not that I buy from them anymore. lol to darned expensive, imagine paying $10 for 50ml of juice plus shipping!! Vapeway robbery I say. lol. Actually the owner is really a nice guy, and an ex dice dealer to boot. Met him and his crew while dealing craps. Great tokers also.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal

There is really only one way to find out what you like and as others have said that is by trying out many many different flavors.
What caught my eye in your post is like you I smoked American Spirits for what seems for ever, so I'll tell you what some of what I like is, understanding your taste is yours alone. I always have stocked Velvet Cloud Vapor's Blue Beard and Burley Beard and Caramel Tobacco. A Very subtle tobacco and not overwhelming but extremely satisfying. I also have Gingers RY4 from the Vapor Room and Boba's Bounty from Alien Visions.

Where do you live? I actually live near a vape store that makes their own juice that they sell, so I can actually sample it there. If there are vape stores in your area, you maybe have that option. Otherwise I'm not sure, I've gotten spoiled on the one here in town, if they ever go out of business, I dont know what I will do lol.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy

I've been dying to get to the one that I know of but haven't been able to find the time.

As far as knowing what juices you like, I started with "flavors" I like and choose my juice according to that.
I don't generally eat candy so candy flavored juices I don't even consider.
Desert flavors (for me) are my first choice, fruit 2nd.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
In my case, I got lucky on the first guess; since I used to smoke Camels, I picked up a bunch of Turkish Tobacco e-liquid from Halo on my first big order. As it turned out, "Turkish Tobacco" didn't taste like tobacco at all to me, but it's bleeping delicious.
I had a similar experience. I smoked Camels, so I thought "I'll try a Turkish tobacco flavor" (fortunately, I could taste this one before buying). As it turned out, it tasted nothing like a Camel. It did, however, taste a lot like Earl Grey tea (in my opinion), and that's a flavor I like. I got a lot of it and I'm still happily vaping it.

Don't be surprised if hate flavors you expect to love, or if you end up loving flavors you expect to dislike.
I'm learning the same. So far I've been very lucky and only disliked two of the flavors I've gotten. But even among the flavors I like, I'm discovering that I could not have accurately predicted which would be my favorites. I didn't really want a raspberry candy flavor, for example, but I've just discovered it's quite tasty to me....

If at all possible hit a local store up and sample some stuff.
If at all possible, yes yes yes. Don't just hunt for one on ECF, either. Search Yelp for "vape," "vaping," etc.

My Vapez over in Herndon is pretty good. Not only do they sell a decent variety of equipment, from Egos to Caravelas, they also let you sample juices and have an ample lounge area for hanging out and chatting. They're opening a 2nd store in Arlington this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread