Burnt Taste with Kanger T3s + Honey Pearry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Hey all,

I started vaping about 3.5 weeks ago, and am loving it. I started off with a very basic kit, and already have 2 x eGo-CTwists, 2 Kanger T3s tanks (+ 1 Kanger MT3s tank), and about 10 flavors of e-liquid. The first liquid I bought when I bought the quit was just some off-brand tobacco flavor (Vitaminsmoke is the brand.) It was decent. It made me switch from analogs. The taste of cigs is now disgusting to me.

Then I hunted around a bit and found a shop in my area that makes their own flavors -- they're actually pretty good, mostly fruit flavored (Tangerine, Apricot being a couple of my faves -- I bought 50ml of the Tangerine) but they've also got BBQ Chicken.

So I was vaping the Tangerine with my kit battery (3.2V and a disposable tank that came with it) and it was pretty nice. I decided to get a Joyetech eGo CTwist (900 mAh.) I kept this at about 4.0-4.2V with the disposable tank. Eventually I got the MT3s and was vaping Tangerine at about 4.2V. Loved it.

SO I decided to take the plunge and buy some new juices online...

The Vapor Chef:
- Honey Pearry
- Butter Beer
- Blue Jazzberry

Good Life Vapor:
- Deadly Sin
- Zombie Blood
- Cozmic Crunch
- Blueberry Morning
- Blue Swag
- Red Headed ....

I tried the Blue Jazzberry at 4.2V and didn't taste much... what I did taste wasn't too close to the blue raspberry I was expecting so I haven't tried it out more. A lot of the flavors seemed way too strong to me: Red Headed .... smells almost like nail polish, Butter Beer has a super strong aroma, but I may try that one eventually, Blue Swag (supposedly blueberry flavor) smelled just like Blueberry Morning (blueberry waffles) but without the syrup and less blueberry-y. I haven't tried either of these yet either. The Red Headed .... I did try and it wasn't quite my taste. Deadly Sin was also a weird taste to me. Cozmic Crunch was alright but definitely not my favorite.

I will add the disclaimer that I have not let them steep. I got them about a week ago and have been keeping them out of the sun and shaking them and letting fresh air in every day, but the ones I tried were mostly in the first day or two.

So my experience buying a bunch of flavors online has been a little disappointing. I do like the Honey Pearry (though I'm not a huge fan of honeydew which is what it tastes like to me, I've been acquiring the taste.) However, I started vaping it with a brand new T3s, and within almost a couple hours I felt like I was getting a little bit of a burnt aroma. This was vaping between 4.0V-4.2V on a 2.5 ohm tank. I was reading that the 2.5 ohm tank could possibly support up to 4.5V and so I raised it in order to see if I liked the Honey Pearry better at a higher voltage (perhaps it would be more flavorful.) This did make it slightly more flavorful but it also GREATLY enunciated the taste of burnt.

So am I doing something wrong that my T3s head is tasting burnt already? I've got about 3 more in the package but I'd like to make them last as long as possible. Is there any way to fix the burnt flavor? I've been considering buying a spool of wick to replace just the wicks and perhaps prolong the life of them, but I'm not sure how much of a pain that would be.

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the burnt flavor seems to be more present if I've been vaping for a while, and less present if the battery hasn't been used in a bit (is basically cold.) Is the voltage just too high for the tank? I would think it would at least be able to handle 4.2V.

Last edited:

Claudia P

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Dayton, TN, USA
Please keep in mind that I too am pretty new at this but I am experiencing the same problem with the T3S. I am NOT having the problem with other clearos, just the T3S, if I turn the wattage or voltage up high enough to get any vapor, I can get one, maybe two hits and then every hit thereafter tastes burnt until I don't take a hit for 15 to 20 minutes and then the first hit or two is fine. I can take the exact same juice and pour it out of the T3S into say an I 16 and put it on the same device set at the same settings and not get any burnt taste at all. I do not have this problem with a ProTank, just the T3S. I have pretty much decided to stop using them.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Please keep in mind that I too am pretty new at this but I am experiencing the same problem with the T3S. I am NOT having the problem with other clearos, just the T3S, if I turn the wattage or voltage up high enough to get any vapor, I can get one, maybe two hits and then every hit thereafter tastes burnt until I don't take a hit for 15 to 20 minutes and then the first hit or two is fine. I can take the exact same juice and pour it out of the T3S into say an I 16 and put it on the same device set at the same settings and not get any burnt taste at all. I do not have this problem with a ProTank, just the T3S. I have pretty much decided to stop using them.

Hmm, glad to hear that I'm not the only one at least. Do you recommend the ProTank? I guess I could try shopping for other tanks -- this is really the only one I've tried.

Claudia P

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Dayton, TN, USA
The ProTank is not my favorite but I do use it after finally finding one head that gives decent flavor. I am old with poor vision and shaky hands and fiddling with the wicks and coils is not an option for me, I tried and ended up losing parts forever. LOL PT are the first choice for many but usually I find that they are people who are able, and don't mind, to fiddle with wicks and coils. The clearo that delivers the best flavor for me is the I Clear16, but many don't like it, so it is purely a personal choice. I am awaiting the availability of the new I Clear 30s rather than buying the I Clear that is out now.

Remember we are all different and have to find what works best for us, just because something doesn't work well for someone doesn't mean it won't be perfect for others. We all draw differently so it's hard to recommend something for another person.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
I run my T3S with only one flavor wick. Too many wicks block the juice from feeding and gives a burnt taste. I would definately remove a wick and try that. Some folks turn the top gasket over but I don't think that is necessary.

Thanks for the tip! I was mucking around with it and pulled those wicks out as you can see, and it looks like one of them is actually wrapped inside the coil? I don't have the tools to fix that so I am probably just going to toss those wicks. I've put in a new head and it's working a lot better, but if I have issues again I'll definitely try removing the top flavor wick, which isn't wrapped in the coil.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
The ProTank is not my favorite but I do use it after finally finding one head that gives decent flavor. I am old with poor vision and shaky hands and fiddling with the wicks and coils is not an option for me, I tried and ended up losing parts forever. LOL PT are the first choice for many but usually I find that they are people who are able, and don't mind, to fiddle with wicks and coils. The clearo that delivers the best flavor for me is the I Clear16, but many don't like it, so it is purely a personal choice. I am awaiting the availability of the new I Clear 30s rather than buying the I Clear that is out now.

Remember we are all different and have to find what works best for us, just because something doesn't work well for someone doesn't mean it won't be perfect for others. We all draw differently so it's hard to recommend something for another person.

Hmm, that's good to know. I've heard a lot of people love the ProTank, but it's quite expensive for something I am unable to try first... I am also not such a fan of fiddling around with my hardware. I like fancy hardware, I like spending money on ecigs, but I don't like fiddling around with the wicks, taking them apart, etc. I'll have to look into the I Clear.

JasonInTN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Thanks for the tip! I was mucking around with it and pulled those wicks out as you can see, and it looks like one of them is actually wrapped inside the coil? I don't have the tools to fix that so I am probably just going to toss those wicks. I've put in a new head and it's working a lot better, but if I have issues again I'll definitely try removing the top flavor wick, which isn't wrapped in the coil.

Save those heads. I have a T3S clone that needs two wicks to run right. It's the same way on the ProTank or Evod. Two many wicks and it will burn. Too few and it will flood. I remove the flavor wicks every few tanks, wash them and dry burn the coil, leaving the wick that is in the coil. I don't want to jinx it but I have run the same coil on my T3S since July 8th, and have used it daily running about 2 mil a day through it.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Save those heads. I have a T3S clone that needs two wicks to run right. It's the same way on the ProTank or Evod. Two many wicks and it will burn. Too few and it will flood. I remove the flavor wicks every few tanks, wash them and dry burn the coil, leaving the wick that is in the coil. I don't want to jinx it but I have run the same coil on my T3S since July 8th, and have used it daily running about 2 mil a day through it.

I have been saving the heads for the off-chance that I do get into rebuilding them. I figure that way I would just have to buy some coil and wick. But it's frustrating that I seem to be going through the heads quite quickly due to the burnt taste that has come up a few times...

JasonInTN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I have been saving the heads for the off-chance that I do get into rebuilding them. I figure that way I would just have to buy some coil and wick. But it's frustrating that I seem to be going through the heads quite quickly due to the burnt taste that has come up a few times...

Sweeter juices will leave more residue, but I'm certain if you remove at least one flavor wick you will be looking good. I DIY my own juices and add no sweetener which helps. I love Ann Arbor by the way. I grew up in Utica and used to go to that annual "___ Bash" they would have there. Good times.:)

Last edited:

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
You probably burnt the coil. Could be the voltage you're vaping at (higher voltage will generally cause you to go through coils faster, low res will do the same), sweeter juices will gunk things up faster, especially at high voltage. Try vaping at a lower voltage, or getting a higher resistance coil if you like high volts. (In my experience, tanks of any sort aren't the greatest for voltage experimentation, just go with old school atties for this. Dripping will always be awesome!). Or you might have just gotten a rogue dry hit that ruined the coil's flavor. Now, I find the dry hits with the bottom coil tanks to be much fewer and farther between, but they still happen. And once you've gotten a dry hit, nothing will ever taste right.

BUT! All is not lost, you can save those coils. You don't even have to rebuild it, just clean it! I disassemble (the stem and flavor wicks come off...but you might have to pry to get the stem off; they've never just pulled off for me lol), rinse the flavor wicks, soak the coil in boiling hot water. Rinse in hot water (at as high of pressure that my sink can manage). Now if you've got the original wicks that came with the coils, DRY BURN THOSE COILS!!!!! If you haven't rebuilt, you've still got the original silica wicks, and they don't burn. After you've done your soaking and rinsing. Pat dry and screw the coil head back into the base. Put on the battery and fire. Over and over. You want to see those coils glowing red hot! After your done, the coil should look clean (although the wicks may still look a little dingy; they stain a bit), and no longer black. After this, I do another hot water soak because everything tastes burnt after a dry burn, to me. Then let air dry, or put the coil back on your battery and fire for just a few seconds, to dry the wick. Reassemble and you're good to go!

You can also try a vodka bath and rinse between dry burn cleanings, and that'll keep you from having to do them so often, but eventually, your coils will get gunked up.

I recommend setting your current coil aside and just using a new one for now. I like to let my dirty coils build up so that I can clean the majority at once. Because the cleaning requires a bit of time and effort, it's more efficient to do them all at one. And in the future, try turning your voltage down to see if that helps, and prime the coil every once in a while to avoid dry hits (just suck on the tank without activating the battery).

Last edited:

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
You probably burnt the coil. Could be the voltage you're vaping at (higher voltage will generally cause you to go through coils faster, low res will do the same), sweeter juices will gunk things up faster, especially at high voltage. Try vaping at a lower voltage, or getting a higher resistance coil if you like high volts. (In my experience, tanks of any sort aren't the greatest for voltage experimentation, just go with old school atties for this. Dripping will always be awesome!). Or you might have just gotten a rogue dry hit that ruined the coil's flavor. Now, I find the dry hits with the bottom coil tanks to be much fewer and farther between, but they still happen. And once you've gotten a dry hit, nothing will ever taste right.

BUT! All is not lost, you can save those coils. You don't even have to rebuild it, just clean it! I disassemble (the stem and flavor wicks come off...but you might have to pry to get the stem off; they've never just pulled off for me lol), rinse the flavor wicks, soak the coil in boiling hot water. Rinse in hot water (at as high of pressure that my sink can manage). Now if you've got the original wicks that came with the coils, DRY BURN THOSE COILS!!!!! If you haven't rebuilt, you've still got the original silica wicks, and they don't burn. After you've done your soaking and rinsing. Pat dry and screw the coil head back into the base. Put on the battery and fire. Over and over. You want to see those coils glowing red hot! After your done, the coil should look clean (although the wicks may still look a little dingy; they stain a bit), and no longer black. After this, I do another hot water soak because everything tastes burnt after a dry burn, to me. Then let air dry, or put the coil back on your battery and fire for just a few seconds, to dry the wick. Reassemble and you're good to go!

You can also try a vodka bath and rinse between dry burn cleanings, and that'll keep you from having to do them so often, but eventually, your coils will get gunked up.

I recommend setting your current coil aside and just using a new one for now. I like to let my dirty coils build up so that I can clean the majority at once. Because the cleaning requires a bit of time and effort, it's more efficient to do them all at one. And in the future, try turning your voltage down to see if that helps, and prime the coil every once in a while to avoid dry hits (just suck on the tank without activating the battery).

Thanks for the info! I will definitely try this out. As far as the coil goes... removing it from the actual head seems quite challenging. Do you have to remove it or can you toss the entire head in the boiling water? Seems dangerous to me...

Sweeter juices will leave more residue, but I'm certain if you remove at least one flavor wick you will be looking good. I DIY my own juices and add no sweetener which helps. I love Ann Arbor by the way. I grew up in Utica and used to go to that annual "___ Bash" they would have there. Good times.:)

Haha, Ann Arbor is pretty nice. :) I've grown up here, just turned 18, and would you believe I've never been to the Bash? My parents are uh, a little too in the know. :)

Oh, and one more question! Does accidentally hitting the button while not sucking on the stem hurt the coil or wick somehow?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Oh, and one more question! Does accidentally hitting the button while not sucking on the stem hurt the coil or wick somehow?

In general it shouldn't damage it if that is what you are asking. Anyway, IMO, I use many Kanger devices, their coil design could have been done better and changed by now, instead of those 2mm coils and main wick with 1mm floating wicks, thats 3mm, should have been 3mm coil and wick in the first place. I have since moved to rebuilding with cotton wicks, wick gets clogged, yank it out, dry burn and rinse the coil, re-thread in a new piece of cotton, done. Takes a little practice to learn how much cotton won't flood or choke down the flow due to too much cotton and you nuke the wick due to it being to dry then, but it works and tastes better than silica and the other materials out there IMO.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Thanks for the info! I will definitely try this out. As far as the coil goes... removing it from the actual head seems quite challenging. Do you have to remove it or can you toss the entire head in the boiling water? Seems dangerous to me...

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to disassemble the whole thing. See, with these heads, the unit will screw out of the base (it's how you change it), and the top gasket and stem that goes into the air tube of the tank come off (you just have to pry a wee bit for the stem. You can see where it connects to the base, right where the wicks are. Then the flavor wicks are sitting right under that stem. They're free sitting. You just pick them up. Then toss the entire remaining unit into the water. You should still have the functional wicks, coil, and entire bottom piece, with the battery connection plate still in place.

Don't take apart the coil wires or anything. That's not necessary.

Last edited:

ca_girl2tx_girl

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Corinth, TX
I run my T3S with only one flavor wick. Too many wicks block the juice from feeding and gives a burnt taste. I would definately remove a wick and try that. Some folks turn the top gasket over but I don't think that is necessary.

I am gonna see if this helps me because I have the ProTank II mini and I am having the same problem. Everything will be fine for the first 4-5 hits, but then I start to get a burnt taste. This will happen when I am vaping right after another. If I let it sit for a little bit it seems to be fine for 4-5 hits and then back to being burnt. I have the eGo-V V2 Mega and run it at 4.2V. At first I thought the attys I got were bad (which I know could still be the case), but I have gone through 3 in only about a week and a half. I haven't thrown any away yet because I wanted to see if there was any suggestions on what I could do. Hopefully this works otherwise I'm going to go back to my DCT and just deal with the priming lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread