Status
Not open for further replies.

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
Hey all, been a while since I posted (a few years it seems like) because I discovered the Ego + CE5 Redux combo and have been in vape heaven ever since. But very recently I decided I wanted a change (that and I can't find a solid redux supplier anymore), and picked up the KangerTech T3S and have had nothing but problems with it since. I'll break it down as simply as I can, hopefully somebody here has some solutions as I really like the T3S model despite the troubles I've encountered with it.

What I'm using:
ego-C 900 mAh - I always use it in the regulated mode, so about 3.3V output, battery is about 6 months old (works fine on CE5)
KangerTech T3S clearomizer bottom coil - atties are 1.8ohm
4mg 100%VG juice - This latest batch is very light in color and the liquid is very thin

Problems:
Atties will usually work perfect for the first 8 hours or so, and then there is a sudden and steep decline in quality. Vapor production goes from copious to very little, the draw becomes either very hard or very airy, flavor becomes very muted and sometimes tasteless.

Fixes I've Tried:
Removing the second wick - Atty started gurgling and flooding, lost a good 2mL of juice trying this
Flipped the top o-ring - Atty started gurgling and flooding, but only a little flooding this time (kept the 2nd wick in for this)
Different degrees of tightness - I've adjusted the level of tightness between the different components every way I can, from tight to loose and everything in between.

I've cleaned it, dried it, dry burned it, everything that I've learned on how to improve the vaping experience. The holes in the base are good, I sort-of trust the source when they say they are authentic KangerTech. I bought 3 atties originally and have gone through all three in a weeks time because I just can't get it to perform consistently. Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Wow, all this time and not a single reply? Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum. Anyway, I switched to a Kanger EVOD and I'm dealing with the same thing. The guys at the shop have no idea, they keep pushing me to buy bigger batteries, but for the atty's I'm using my Ego-C should be more than adequate.
Probably not a bad idea. I suspect that the coil-juice-wick combo would be better served at around 8-9 watts. Alternately, try a 60/40 ~ 50/50 juice mix - or a higher resistance coil to see if you increase your adequate function time period.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Hey all, been a while since I posted
picked up the KangerTech T3S
Atties will usually work perfect for the first 8 hours or so, and then there is a sudden and steep decline in quality.

Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Hi livethechoice, hate to hear people having vape troubles...

might of answered your own question--not cleaning it good enough after coil gets fouled

what seems to work for me:
hot water rinse/dry-burn/hot water rinse/soak vodka/rinse/lt dry-burn/re assemble
(vodka gets that burnt taste from dry burning off wick)

got any wick ? replace the flavor wick and leave the silicone cup gasket like kanger had it JMO
you said it worked good at first, why change it, just clean it better... :)

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
Probably not a bad idea. I suspect that the coil-juice-wick combo would be better served at around 8-9 watts. Alternately, try a 60/40 ~ 50/50 juice mix - or a higher resistance coil to see if you increase your adequate function time period.

That makes a lot of sense. I was checking out my go-to hardware supplier to see if they had restocked (they haven't, sadly) and I realized the Kanger attys I've been using are low resistance. I've stayed away from low res attys in the past because they don't last as long. I think I'll try to find some higher res kanger attys and a higher voltage battery for when I'm at home, my carry case is custom made for an ego-c 900 and a ce5, but I can just fit the T3S in there. I'll keep looking for a ce5 replacement for when I'm on the go, and keep the heavy duty gear for when I'm home studying. I've got 100ml of 100% vg juice left, I think I'll try cutting in some pg next time, just to try it.

Hi livethechoice, hate to hear people having vape troubles...

might of answered your own question--not cleaning it good enough after coil gets fouled

what seems to work for me:
hot water rinse/dry-burn/hot water rinse/soak vodka/rinse/lt dry-burn/re assemble
(vodka gets that burnt taste from dry burning off wick)

got any wick ? replace the flavor wick and leave the silicone cup gasket like kanger had it JMO
you said it worked good at first, why change it, just clean it better... :)

That also sounds reasonable. I tried a small dry burn and packing down the wicks that are in there, that brought one of the T3S attys back to life, but there was a lot of gunk on the wick itself. I've never done a rebuild, maybe it's time I start exploring that part of the hobby...

My thanks to the both of you for replying.

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
So I managed to solve my problem with both the T3S and EVOD by replacing the 1.8 Kanger attys that I had with the 2.4 CE5 attys that I never used do to structural problems in the housing. The wouldn't work for my CE5 redux, but repurposing the coil and wick into the Kanger atty was easy enough, and with a few tweaks I managed to stop the gurgling/leaking and am getting consistently good hits. The new coils due tend to heat the base up a lot more, sometimes it's almost too hot to touch, so I'm guessing I'll have to replace the rubber o-rings sooner than later, and definitely more often than I did on the CE5. So now I'm going to get started in rebuilding my attys instead of buying them.
Cheers.

Last edited:
so I'm guessing I'll have to replace the rubber o-rings sooner than later, and definitely more often than I did on the CE5. So now I'm going to get started in rebuilding my attys instead of buying them.
Cheers.

Does anyone know where to just buy the O-rings? I haven't been able to find anywhere....

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
ego-C 900 mAh - I always use it in the regulated mode, so about 3.3V output, battery is about 6 months old (works fine on CE5)
KangerTech T3S clearomizer bottom coil - atties are 1.8ohm
4mg 100%VG juice

Problems:
Atties will usually work perfect for the first 8 hours or so, and then there is a sudden and steep decline in quality. Vapor production goes from copious to very little, the draw becomes either very hard or very airy, flavor becomes very muted and sometimes tasteless.

You're not doing anything wrong, except not using the right technology for your vaping habits.

100% VG is going to be problematic in any clearomizer w/wicks. And high VG is going to be muted on flavor anyway. Combine that with the already muted flavor that most all clearos are guilty of. And high vg clogs.

Many people who vape low volts and high VG just move to bottom feeders + atty. That is what they excel at. 3.7v vape, til battery starts to wear down. Look into bottom feeders, REO, Vmod, Bogger Box, etc.

I went thru all that and use a BF now, so happy.

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
100% VG is going to be problematic in any clearomizer w/wicks. And high VG is going to be muted on flavor anyway. Combine that with the already muted flavor that most all clearos are guilty of. And high vg clogs.

It's funny, I switched to pure VG about a month after I started vaping, years ago, I think it was because it worked better for my old pen style when I started dripping, but I've used wicked clearos for years now and it's always been a struggle. I think I'll give PG another shot. Do you know if there's a specific ratio that works? I love VG for the vapor production, so maybe an 50/50 or 70/30 pg/vg mix?

I'll look into the bottom feeders too, never really considered them before now, I think I've stuck with the ego and clearos out of habit more than anything else.

It's funny, I switched to pure VG about a month after I started vaping, years ago, I think it was because it worked better for my old pen style when I started dripping, but I've used wicked clearos for years now and it's always been a struggle. I think I'll give PG another shot. Do you know if there's a specific ratio that works? I love VG for the vapor production, so maybe an 50/50 or 70/30 pg/vg mix?

I'll look into the bottom feeders too, never really considered them before now, I think I've stuck with the ego and clearos out of habit more than anything else.

My Local B&M has a CE5-S.... By Vape Only.... Just got em in about three weeks ago. Glass tank, inexpensive and REALLY good vape on a 70vg 30 pg blend... 1.8 and 2.1 coil options.... Vapor Source Electronic Cigarettes,Vaporizers, and over 140 Colorado - USA Made E Liquid Flavors If it doesn't show on their pages, give the number a call. The new coils that vape only are using, are really good, they;re in the e-pen, the ce5-s and the Maxi bdcc.... Woeth checking out. I think you can't find the CE5, since they came out with the CE5-S, and most of the time, if the new is selling, they ditch the old. Hope this helps!!

JWM2

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009

I'd recommend 60/40 or 70/30. If you notice it is too thick and not wicking properly then just add a few drops of water and shake it up. I've done this quite a bit in the past with great results. I had an order once where they filled it with 100% vg when i ordered 100% pg. I had to use quite a bit more water to think it out but it worked just fine. The problem is pure VG is really thick. I make my own liquids now and VG is at least 5x thicker than PG. I've tried 50/50 but found for the atomizers I use its just a tad too thick. 60/40 - 70/30 seems to work just fine.

Also elevation seems to come into play with these from time to time. For some reason the higher I am elevate wise the thinner the liquid must be in order to wick properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread