Not open for further replies.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
No-one knows yet what the impact of vaping does to our lungs. Lungs were meant for inhaling the air around us. We as a community are trying to find these answers out, not many studies done as to date. We hope this is a healthier way but cannot guarantee it is healthier, we just hope.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Flavorings can contain some scary sounding chemicals and some of those chemicals in full concentrations are quite dangerous.

And nicotine in full concentration is very deadly.

If you want to have real fun, look up the MSDS's for phosphoric acid like is found in Coke and Pepsi and most other soft drinks. Seriously, look it up. It is incredibly dangerous too.

Now, consider the concentrations. Concentration is much more important than anything else. Drink too much water and you will die. Drink too little you will die. Too much potassium in your blood will kill you just as too little will.

So, yeah, there are dangerous chemicals in lots of stuff even in perfectly good fruit and vegetables, but in the concentrations they occur, they are harmless. A lot of "junk science" relies on the the notion that if full concentrations of a substance is bad, then any amount is just as dangerous.

Then compare the chemicals that are naturally present in tobacco and the chemicals they put on it during processing to what is in e-juice. A rational person would choose the juice, but not all people are rational. Debating with irrational people is like trying to teach a pig to sing. That pig will never sing and you will just get frustrated.

And when studies on e-juice do start coming out, look at the process. Will it be like the tests done by the government on a certain herb where they put gas masks on apes and pumped straight smoke into them for an extended time and concluded that since there were signs of brain damage after that test, then smoking any of that certain herb will cause brain damage? Or will the study be done more logically? Who knows?

Meanwhile do what seems right to you. Let the rest lie and don't try to teach that pig to sing.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Excellent synopsis Hoosier.
emotion-5.gif

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Hoosier has really said it all but - if you want to really scare yourself go look up the ingredient of foods. Not natural, grown in the garden foods but processed, frozen and generally available foods. Look up the ingredients of a twinky (something I wouldnt touch with a barge pole btw lol).
We eat a whole BUNCH of chemicals and things that have been genetically altered daily.
On their own most of these are fairly harmless but what tests NEVER (and CAN never) take into consideration is the combinations people eat them in, and where they eat them (ie, a room full of tobacco smoke, near a chemical plant etc etc) and what else they might have (diseases, be on other medicinal chemicals etc). Those kinds of chemical interractions, and the fact each person CAN process foods diffferently, as we all have slightly different bio chemical makeups (because we aren't clones), are impossible to predict.
Anything that isn't fresh and grown without chemcials could kill you. Even things that are natural can kill you.
We either accept that modern living carries inherent risks, or we give it up and go live in cave on a desert island (where we promptly die of pnuemonia).
Is ejuice dangerous? No idea.
Is it LESS dangerous than cigarettes? Probably, but I have no idea.
Is it a risk I'm prepared to take? Yup, same as when someone shoves another twinky down their throat and hopes for the best :)

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
heh.. and while you're at it.. do a little searching on "genetically modified" and then corn and maybe soybeans too.

Oh, and fire safe cigarettes.. a pet peeve of mine (and just for the record, FSC did not prevent my bf from almost setting the porch on fire a few weeks ago)

There's plenty of junk we put into our bodies. The jury is still out what the long term effects of using VG and PG + "flavors" + nicotine is. (well, we know the effects of nicotine on the body, that's about all we do know for now)

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Hoosier makes lots of great points. In a relative sense, vaping is not very dangerous, but it is not 100% safe either. No one has been injured as yet.

That said, however, ultra-high nic juice is dangerous. And your post was if e-juice is dangerous. 48 mg juice or lower on your hands can make you a touch buzzed. Best to wipe it off relatively quickly, better to wash it off. Mind the eyes! 8-o Stronger than that, and you really should be very careful. 100 mg juice on you can make you sick. Spill a bunch on you and you are in trouble. If this happens your first move should be quickly remove clothes and shower off...and hope you didn't absorb too much in the meantime.

New users should stick to 48 mg or lower until they have learned how to handle it properly.

I strongly advise not getting 0.5 L of 100 mg juice until you know what you are doing. Fact: Knock an open bottle of that over, and you may be seriously poisoned, if not killed, and it would be a dreadful way to die. Your house will be toxicly contaminated. PG and VG do not evaporate quickly at room temp. A soaked carpet would have to be removed by hazmat pros in full suits and respirators and the carpet would have to be incinerated. Its possible flooring would have to be removed. Thankfully this has not happened to anyone yet.

So yes, ejuice can be very dangerous. All nic juice should be treated with care and respect. When in doubt of your handling skills, at least wear gloves. Nitrile gloves are cheap and come in boxes of 100.

Enjoy the vapage, but please stay safe.

Scott EE

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Virginia USA
Yeah I in fact have 0.5 L of 100 mg/ml but when I do handle it I will have nitrile gloves, goggles, and thinking about pouring it in my huge wash basin in my basement or outside.

The only time I will handle it is to pour it directly into a large glass funnel into a 1000 ml bottle then immediately cut it with PG 50/50. I feel a little better mixing with 50 mg/ml vs the 100 mg/ml. But I only need to handle it one time only.

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Unfortunately we don't have the benefit of long term studies since e-cigs and the corresponding e-juice are relatively new. However, the main ingredient besides nicotine, typically PG, has been well studied and used in many household products from food to shampoo. Without the benefit of long term evidence that e-cigs are safer we are treading new ground, but I can say that almost 2 months of not smoking tobacco leaves me feeling great compared to when I did smoke. It is a leap of faith to move to e-cigs, but we also know that we are no longer inhaling the 4000 carcinogens and I think that has to be a step forward. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years as more is known about this new alternative to smoking, although the current political climate (read tobacco company money influence) may preclude accurate and conclusive studies that provide the answer to your question.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Yeah I in fact have 0.5 L of 100 mg/ml but when I do handle it I will have nitrile gloves, goggles, and thinking about pouring it in my huge wash basin in my basement or outside.

The only time I will handle it is to pour it directly into a large glass funnel into a 1000 ml bottle then immediately cut it with PG 50/50. I feel a little better mixing with 50 mg/ml vs the 100 mg/ml. But I only need to handle it one time only.

You will likely want to get this juice into smaller bottles for storage and incremental dispensing. You do not want to just be taking from the same big bottle over and over, in case you contaminate it. You may find my long term storage method of benefit:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/myfreedomsmokes/43742-smoke-juice-storage-tips.html

I describe step by step what I did and where I got my bottles and whatnot for the process. Because of how I store it, I put myself in danger once when I process it all, and after that I never need to come in contact directly, since I dispense from smaller bottles with a syringe through euro dropper inserts. All spelled out there.

Storing a big bottle of 100 mg in the fridge will increase water absorption if it is opened cold, as well as ambient stuff in the air. Might not be enough to affect it, but why take a chance, and with this stuff I am all about doing it safely and correctly, as piece of mind is priceless.

Good luck, and please be careful!

Scott EE

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Virginia USA
Yeah already read that thread. What I meant is I only need to touch the 100 mg strength stuff once by using that 1000 ml bottle to cut it. After that I will break it down into one 500 ml bottle then various smaller sizes for use. I ordered a ton of various sized glass bottles with polyseal caps for this purpose. Reducing headspace in the long term storage bottles. I got the amber and cobalt colored bottles.

Bottle I will actually dip into for mixing will be probably be 60 ml or less.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Yeah already read that thread. What I meant is I only need to touch the 100 mg strength stuff once by using that 1000 ml bottle to cut it. After that I will break it down into one 500 ml bottle then various smaller sizes for use. I ordered a ton of various sized glass bottles with polyseal caps for this purpose. Reducing headspace in the long term storage bottles. I got the amber and cobalt colored bottles.

Bottle I will actually dip into for mixing will be probably be 60 ml or less.

That sounds like a great plan. Go for it. There is something very satisfying about laying down a bunch of those little bottles, all filled to the rim with clean liquid, for a long cold nap. I used 50 mL bottles for the 100 mg MFS, but now it looks like one of those will last 6 months at least for me, as I only vape at around 12 mg most the time. 20 mL bottles might have been better for me, or as you said, break a 50 mL batch into smaller ones while I'm actively using that batch. Probably a bit extreme, but I love knowing my investment will last as long as possible.

I think I got the last 100 mg VG that Chris would make, since mixing it is so hard and hot spots can be a problem if its not mixed. And VG is very thick. Wish I could vape PG, as there are so many more options, but such is life sometimes. PG really irritates me. Glad I discovered that before I started buying high-nic in bulk. I do have several 30 mL 36-54 mg PG unflavoreds from TW, which I may end up selling down the line. And their stuff without a sale is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread