Status
Not open for further replies.

LKnives

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Madison, WI
www.twitch.tv
Today at my college I was harassed by someone from my school's administration for using my "electronic cigarette" outside but in a sheltered area from the rain. When they cited to me that my device was prohibited by school policy I informed that it was not, to which they threatened campus security on me; to which I told them that I had already had discussion with campus security about it and they didn't seem interested in enforcing it outside. (Or inside for that matter)

I just want to make sure my bases are covered here, she told me to read the school's tobacco policy online (Which I have as well as the school's student handbook).

Here is the online version: Tobacco-Free Campus | Madison Area Technical College
Within I saw no reference to anything electronic, it only states that tobacco use is prohibited on campus.

The handbook says that it "includes electronic tobacco alternatives," which seems to implicitly exclude nicotine based electronic devices. Please, correct me if I am wrong as I would like to avoid getting in trouble with my college.

dalr

Oct 7, 2013
Switzerland
Are you using juice that has nicotine? If you're vaping 0mg/ml, you might (might) have ground to challenge the decision to stop you from vaping in a sheltered area, since it wouldn't qualify as "tobacco alternative" per se. It's not much, but that may already be something, since PG/VG and flavors are more akin to food than anything else.

But it seems to me that you'd be better off refraining from trying to loophole your way out of e-cig bans in your college. Don't get yourself into troubles for this, it ain't worth it.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
The handbook says that it "includes electronic tobacco alternatives," which seems to implicitly exclude nicotine based electronic devices. Please, correct me if I am wrong as I would like to avoid getting in trouble with my college.

That handbook seems to be referring to electronic cigarettes ... I would take my vape outside.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I can't see how they can say that e-cigs (which is a terrible name for it) are a 'tobacco product'. Nicotine doesn't have to come from tobacco, many plants contain it. It probably does, but we don't even know that for sure. When nicotine can be synthesized, would it still be a tobacco product?

Not everyone vapes with nicotine either.

I vaped at the office, and people started coughing and staring at me. Then I said, why are you coughing? I'm only vaping Elderberry juice (which is true). Miraculously all the coughing stopped and no one bugged me again. LOL!

Reactions: AndyZZZ

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
... Nicotine doesn't have to come from tobacco, many plants contain it. It probably does, but we don't even know that for sure. When nicotine can be synthesized, would it still be a tobacco product?...

Just an FYI: The nicotine that is used in e-liquid is the same nicotine that is used in pharma NRTs, and it is sourced from tobacco. Tobacco is the most economical source for nicotine, based on the volume available and the quality. Nicotine can already be synthesized, but it's not possible to do it in large quantities and turn a profit (yet).

I keep saying that I'm going to campaign for Monsanto to engineer a high-nicotine eggplant strain, and then we can watch the ANTZ heads explode! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread