Status
Not open for further replies.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
USP is the highest purity typically available (there's an even more pure grade, ACS/regeant, but ACS/regeant is ultra-pure grade and typically only used for high-end laboratory research & chemical mixes).

However, purity does not = taste, nor does it = "vapability".

Assuming (when I definitely knew better) that all USP VGs were basically the same, I recently purchased a gallon of this via Amazon (to save money - we've got Amazon Prime/free shipping, and the price is dirt-cheap)...and without testing it, mixed up around 3000ml of various juices & test vials.

At first we didn't notice anything different - but after a few days I kept wanting everything I vaped to be 'stronger & sweeter' (which is really odd for me because I dislike overly sweet juices - and we'd formulated recipes that were perfect). Hey, I said to myself, it's probably just vapers tongue or our taste buds changing - I'll just add a drop or two of sweetener to the bottles and maybe a bit more flavor next time we make them (but we kept frustrating over how/why we could both end up with 'vapers tongue' at the same exact time). It was kinda frustrating, but really no big deal.

Then I answered a post and advised someone having trouble to be sure test all their base liquids without flavoring or sweetener before making any other changes...and then it hit me (argh) - we'd changed VGs and used it to mix up a bunch of juice before we'd tested it.

So we mixed up two small batches of our base (80% VG; 9% distilled water; 9% saline solution; 2% alcohol) - using both VGs...and tested them both side-by-side. Sure 'nuff...the new one tasted 'flat', dirty, and seemed to kill the natural sweetness of the VG (which is extremely slight and was never discernible to us before). The base made with the original VG was 'alive & vibrant' with just the tiniest hint of sweetness.

:::shaking head::: We'd seen that gallon size on Amazon, that it was USP, and calculated how much money we'd save over buying what we usually bought at ECX ($8.99 for 250 ml at ECX vs $40 for a gallon on Amazon). It would be around $135 on ECX for a gallon (purchased 250 mls at a time). So we were saving a boatload, eh? :::sigh::: But the worst thing...?...

When I went to ECX to order VG, I decided to click on the Wholesale Link to see if they had larger sizes of VG. Yep, 1 gallon for $42.99 (or two gallons for $79.99)...and since shipping is free over $85 on ECX, it would have only cost me only THREE BUCKS MORE than the crap I bought on Amazon to get a gallon of what we'd been using since we started!

I recommend the VG from ECX. I do not recommend the VG that I linked to on Amazon. I also recommend mixing/tasting/vaping your bases (with and without nic) before mixing them.

I do not recommend forgetting or ignoring that basic rule of common sense and spending almost two full days mixing/blending, steeping, labeling and rebottling juices using untested VG, PG or nic-juice. 3000+mls of juice...seeya-bye.

X8y97IH.gif

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
When I went to ECX to order VG, I decided to click on the Wholesale Link to see if they had larger sizes of VG. Yep, 1 gallon for $42.99 (or two gallons for $79.99)...and since shipping is free over $85 on ECX, it would have only cost me only THREE BUCKS MORE than the crap I bought on Amazon to get a gallon of what we'd been using since we started!

I recommend the VG from ECX. I do not recommend the VG that I linked to on Amazon. I also recommend mixing/tasting/vaping your bases (with and without nic) before mixing them.

I do not recommend forgetting or ignoring that basic rule of common sense and spending almost two full days mixing/blending, steeping, labeling and rebottling juices using untested VG, PG or nic-juice. 3000+mls of juice...seeya-bye.

View attachment 262007

Thanks for sharing and great advice on testing all components before mixing!

Do you know who the manufacturer is for ECX VG?

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Do you know who the manufacturer is for ECX VG?

Essential Depot.
You can get their products on Amazon too.

Grrrr...my new gallon indicates nothing as far as "brand name" and I'm almost positive my 250ml bottles didn't either (because I would have searched for a duplicate before buying an unknown). 'Mind sharing how you know ECX's is "Essential Depot"? (it's not that I don't trust/believe you; I've just learned to confirm everything possible). TIA!

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Thanks for sharing and great advice on testing all components before mixing!

'More than welcome! And don't forget...label everything accurately (with the date!). If I hadn't dated my bottles, I'd be looking at dozens of duplicate labels - and I wouldn't have known which ones were made with which VG! (throwing it all out and losing all the time/effort that went into making it all was bad enough...but to have thrown out the wrong bottles because I didn't date them? argh x 2)

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Grrrr...my new gallon indicates nothing as far as "brand name" and I'm almost positive my 250ml bottles didn't either (because I would have searched for a duplicate before buying an unknown). 'Mind sharing how you know ECX's is "Essential Depot"? (it's not that I don't trust/believe you; I've just learned to confirm everything possible). TIA!

I don't think that is what Cookiebun was saying.....just giving a suggestion on a good source to buy from ;)

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I don't think that is what Cookiebun was saying.....just giving a suggestion on a good source to buy from ;)

Thanks - I thunk maybe that was the case.

By the way, that's an AWESOME lookin' pooch ya got there! I've just got to get a picture of ours taken/loaded to use as an avatar.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio

I have no idea where ECX gets their PG/VG. The original question was who makes the best PG/VG and my answer is Essential Depot.
I'm a Prime member so if I order it off Amazon I get it quick and cheap.

Dave_in_OK

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio Texas
Thanks for the sources. I looked at ECX and Essential Depot couldn't find who the manufacturer is but did like that Essential Depot links test results.

The reason I'm looking to find the best manufacturer for PG and VG is it's my experience that resellers (those that buy in bulk and repackage in smaller containers) will without notifying the customer change whose product they buy. Thus we get different results with what we believe to be the same ingredients. I'm not saying any company we normally deal with would due this only that they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread