Things sure have changed 'round here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
I saw this pic on Facebook. Look at all those cigarettes at every single checkout lane!

2013-10-17 21.25.52.jpg

Ha, yup. That looks like maybe the late 60s? (Not sure...do you know?)

In the 70s there were cigs everywhere...and I do mean EVERYwhere. Doctors smoked in their offices, teachers smoked in the teacher's lounge and our science teachers smoked in the little mini-storage room that separated each of the lab rooms. My mom was present at every school concert in the back with her cig, among all the other moms with their cigs...she always felt put out when she couldn't smoke in clothing stores at the mall because of the fire hazard, she had to actually leave the store and smoke right outside it in the main part of the mall.

People smoked while pumping their own gas, they puffed away walking the grocery store aisles. Parents smoked in the school parking lot, they weren't allowed to bring their cigs into the school, now THAT would have been unheard of, LOL. Although of course the fact always annoyed all the parents...I remember people going from smoking anywhere in the movie theater, to smoking "just in the back three rows," and I remember the strange irony and uselessness of "smoking sections" at the back of an airplane, LOL...yeah, huge help there...

I remember the first restaurants to offer "smoking" and "non-smoking" sections, to separate those was considered amazingly forward-thinking and fashionable.

I can't tell you how many times as a child I had a hole burned into some part of me as I went to hug an adult...and of course the adult telling me I "should have watched out." I must have a hundred pictures of our parents hugging us with lit cigs half an inch from our hair. I remember hoping Daddy wouldn't fall asleep without putting out the cig he had lit as a "last smoke of the evening" in bed.

And finally, yes, rows and rows of cigs for the grabbing at every counter of countless stores.

Those were the days...yikes...

ETA: Oh, and I remember buying cigs for my mother when I was like 8 and the nice man saying it was okay because they were for my mother. She didn't have her makeup on and she felt all a mess or whatever so she sent me along out on my bike across town for them with a couple quarters in my pocket to pay for them plus a quarter to buy myself a treat...this probably happened two or three times.

Last edited:
That's before my time. I'm 35. I remember my mom getting stamps from the grocery store and filling out books to get free stuff heh.

Hey, the Bradys did that too, the boys had a big contest v. the girls to decide how the Green Stamps would be spent, the boys made Marcia cry or something (I'm sure nobody would have cared if Jan had been made to cry so it must have been Marcia, poor Jan, she probably grew up to be a serial killer) so they decided together instead on a TV for all of them...

Oh wait, that was before your time too...

You freakin' whippersnapper.

It's late and DON'T EVEN LET me see you make off for that bed without brushing your teeth, young man.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
I remember my folks smoking in church, and me smoking on airplanes... with a gun in my pocket. ;-)

I was young and not a smoker yet, but I do remember being on a plane as a teenager with people smoking. I also remember in college riding amtrak back and forth to home for breaks and hanging out in the lounge car the whole time and smoking.

TruckDrivinMama

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2013
CA, USA
Wow reminiscing the good ole days. Still kinda like that in some shops in China every time i go back. And they still let people smoking indoor in most restaurants there too. I still remember the smoking segregated sections in restaurants in Hong Kong. Teachers used to smoke outside our classrooms while we practised writing our words. But this was in China.

But after coming to the US, i still remember my first few years of work when they let us smoke inside. Everyone was sorting packages with cigarettes and cigars dangling in their mouths. Conveyor belts used to have butts and burn marks rolling out with janitors sweeping it off every shift. Supervisors were always mumbling orders to us with cigs in their mouths that we could never really make out. Now with no more analogs inside, they shout at us a lot louder...

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
The pic was posted in a fb group called "Do you remember the 60s 70s & 80s?" I don't remember much of the 60s cuz I was born in 69 but the rest of the stuff they post there is so fun to see.

I remember all the smoking everywhere...and even though I was a smoker I didn't mind so much when they started with all the smoking restrictions.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
The pic was posted in a fb group called "Do you remember the 60s 70s & 80s?" I don't remember much of the 60s cuz I was born in 69 but the rest of the stuff they post there is so fun to see.

I remember all the smoking everywhere...and even though I was a smoker I didn't mind so much when they started with all the smoking restrictions.
Back when I used to fly 2-3 times a month, it really chapped my hide when they enacted that particular restriction. Funny though, still had the gun in the pocket... no problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread