New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Love this calculator!
It took a while to set up the ingredients list, but once I did it is so easy to use. I especially like that the cost is calculated too!

The only thing that I would prefer is if you could just save individual recipes. I like to categorize by folders (keepers, ready to mix, rejects, etc.) instead of having multiple recipes in one file, but I can live with that for the other advantages.

Another thing that would be nice is if the notes field was included in the print out. That way you have your notes on hand at your mixing station.

Thank you so much HotRod19579 for your work on this!!

I will work on printing the notes over the weekend.

I would be open to ideas on how to tackle categorizing but in the meantime try this:

1. Close your existing recipe file (File->Close).
2. Go to the "Tools->Import from recipe calculator (.XML file)".
3. Click the browse button and select the recipe file that you just closed (with all of your recipes).
4. Put checkmarks next to your "keepers".
5. Click the "Import" button and after the import is complete click the "Exit" button.
6. You are now back to the main screen with a recipe file that has only your keepers in it.
7. Click the "File->Save As" and give it a name such as "Keepers".

You will now be able to switch back and forth between your original recipe file and your new keepers file by invoking the "File->Open".

Spazzer

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2013
Upstate NY
I will work on printing the notes over the weekend.

I would be open to ideas on how to tackle categorizing but in the meantime try this:

1. Close your existing recipe file (File->Close).
2. Go to the "Tools->Import from recipe calculator (.XML file)".
3. Click the browse button and select the recipe file that you just closed (with all of your recipes).
4. Put checkmarks next to your "keepers".
5. Click the "Import" button and after the import is complete click the "Exit" button.
6. You are now back to the main screen with a recipe file that has only your keepers in it.
7. Click the "File->Save As" and give it a name such as "Keepers".

You will now be able to switch back and forth between your original recipe file and your new keepers file by invoking the "File->Open".

Yea, that's how I've been doing it. Works well enough I guess. I do notice that when you import like that it will also import the ingredients if they aren't already in the file.

The notes in the print out would be great! Looking forward to that. By the way the print out is formatted very well - the font size and layout is perfect when mixing.

As a side note - any chance of a Macintosh version? I'm using it in Virtual Box (a Windows emulator) on the Mac and it works just fine, but a native Mac OSX version would be sweet!

Thanks again for a great program.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Yea, that's how I've been doing it. Works well enough I guess. I do notice that when you import like that it will also import the ingredients if they aren't already in the file.

The notes in the print out would be great! Looking forward to that. By the way the print out is formatted very well - the font size and layout is perfect when mixing.

As a side note - any chance of a Macintosh version? I'm using it in Virtual Box (a Windows emulator) on the Mac and it works just fine, but a native Mac OSX version would be sweet!

Thanks again for a great program.

A new version was posted which prints the notes associated with both the recipe and the ingredients.

I would like to be able to create a Mac version however it is not currently in my plans. Apple doesn't make it easy. You can only run the Mac OSX on Apple hardware and that cost money. Even if I was to splurge and purchase the hardware there would be a learning curve for the Mac development environment before the application could be ported to the Mac.

Spazzer

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2013
Upstate NY
I would like to be able to create a Mac version however it is not currently in my plans. Apple doesn't make it easy. You can only run the Mac OSX on Apple hardware and that cost money. Even if I was to splurge and purchase the hardware there would be a learning curve for the Mac development environment before the application could be ported to the Mac.

I fully understand (It was worth a try) As I said it works just fine in Virtual Box.

The notes in the print out work great!
Thank you!

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
If you have a second PC, or don't mind a dual boot option, it isn't all that difficult to install the Mac OS.

A new version was posted which prints the notes associated with both the recipe and the ingredients.

Spazzer

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2013
Upstate NY
Hi HotRod19579 -

I seem to be getting an erroneous error message when changing total quantity to make or the target nicotine level.
The message is:
"Volume in resulting recipe exceeded the target amount. Lower flavor percentages
Unable to add enough nicotine for desired level"

However, doing some quick math, everything seems OK.
If you then change the target nic level or the total amount to make up or down one unit the message goes away.
For example I get the message at 10mg but change to 9 or 11 and no message. Change back to 10 and the message reappears.
The message also goes away if I change the amount to make from 15 down to 14 or up 16, but the error always returns at 15.

I've noticed this with several recipes. Just playing with the amount to make or target nic level with the arrows will often produce this error message or the message "Nicotine level exceeded". And as I said everything seems to be correct.

Any thoughts?

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Hi HotRod19579 -

I seem to be getting an erroneous error message when changing total quantity to make or the target nicotine level.
The message is:
"Volume in resulting recipe exceeded the target amount. Lower flavor percentages
Unable to add enough nicotine for desired level"

However, doing some quick math, everything seems OK.
If you then change the target nic level or the total amount to make up or down one unit the message goes away.
For example I get the message at 10mg but change to 9 or 11 and no message. Change back to 10 and the message reappears.
The message also goes away if I change the amount to make from 15 down to 14 or up 16, but the error always returns at 15.

I've noticed this with several recipes. Just playing with the amount to make or target nic level with the arrows will often produce this error message or the message "Nicotine level exceeded". And as I said everything seems to be correct.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help Spazzer. I just posted an update available for downloading, V2.1.0.9.

It was in fact a rounding error. I was comparing to numbers, one was 15.0 and the other was 15.000...0001 (with 26 zeros) and they were unequal and I was presenting an error message.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Just notice another cropped box, Add Ingredient, Select flavor, And again thanks for your work on this one really like it!

I just posted an update which should correct the cropped box you are seeing. It also includes a correction for another rounding problem causing an erroneous error message. V2.1.0.11.

Please le me know if this corrects the problem you are seeing with your resolution and font settings.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
DELETED.

EDIT2: Ba, I need to play around with it before asking questions, sorry. Created a new recipe as a test and then it allowed to save and exit and when I opened it back up everything was there.

I have been using your previous version now for several months, and really enjoy it. Thanks again for taking the time to update.

I do have one question. Is there a way to delete previous nicotine or other ingredients? For example my past ingredient was a lower nicotine. When I bought new nicotine at a higher base I can not delete the previous lower ingredient nicotine even after changing all of the recipes to the higher one.

Last edited:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
DELETED.

EDIT2: Ba, I need to play around with it before asking questions, sorry. Created a new recipe as a test and then it allowed to save and exit and when I opened it back up everything was there.

I have been using your previous version now for several months, and really enjoy it. Thanks again for taking the time to update.

I do have one question. Is there a way to delete previous nicotine or other ingredients? For example my past ingredient was a lower nicotine. When I bought new nicotine at a higher base I can not delete the previous lower ingredient nicotine even after changing all of the recipes to the higher one.

Fixed, with V2.1.0.12 you can delete nicotine ingredients which are not being used by any recipes.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
I updated and then re-imported the recipes but it still wouldn't let me, it said it was in use by a recipe, although I checked and that recipe has the newer higher nic as the ingredient.

I just renamed that nic to DO NOT USE and removed all the information from it.

Last question. When I go to save a recipe in the new version I notice that this saves in a new folder by the name of the new and none of the old recipes I imported are in that folder. Is there anything else I should do? Just want to make sure I do not lose any information if the old recipe calculator is deleted.

Fixed, with V2.1.0.12 you can delete nicotine ingredients which are not being used by any recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread