Erythritol as a sweetener in liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebgold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Wichita, KS
I have coincidentally just been trying to research alternative sweeteners for my DIY juices. I just finished reading about sugar alcohols. Here is a link that discusses erythritol and compares it to xylitol if you're interested. Xylitol vs Erythritol « Xylitol Fresh Blog
It says both do not caramelize, I know xylitol doesn't, I've never used erythritol.
I have been looking for other sweeteners because my favorite premixed juice tastes really good, like candy, when you put a drop on your tongue and my DIY's do not, so I know there must be some other options out there.
I just ordered crystal EM and sucralose, hoping mixing it myself will yield a better taste than the premixed liquid versions. I find EM to have a strange chemical taste I particularly don't like, or at least the premixed liquid EM I have does.
I have heard people mention agave as an option, but I know that corn syrup gunks up coils so I assume agave may do the same.

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
Health food/vitamin stores sell it in powder and liquid form. I did the same thing by dissolving nectresse crystals 1/2 pack in 10ml of propylene glycol. Push through syringe packed with organic cotton. Mix at 1-2%. The nectresse crystals had a slightly darker taste, so I opted for the liquid. Erythritol and xylitol are both used in nasal mists.

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Ive been using it for the last week or so, its very sweet with no chemical taste. No signs of clogging so far.
Did you notice a cooling effect ?

Heat of solution[edit]
Erythritol has a strong cooling effect (endothermic, or positive heat of solution)[10] when it dissolves in water, which is often combined with the cooling effect of mint flavors. The cooling effect is present only when erythritol is not already dissolved in water, a situation that might be experienced in an erythritol-sweetened frosting, chocolate bar, chewing gum, or hard candy. The cooling effect of erythritol is very similar to that of xylitol and among the strongest cooling effects of all sugar alcohols.[11]

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk

Heat of solution[edit]
Erythritol has a strong cooling effect (endothermic, or positive heat of solution)[10] when it dissolves in water, which is often combined with the cooling effect of mint flavors. The cooling effect is present only when erythritol is not already dissolved in water, a situation that might be experienced in an erythritol-sweetened frosting, chocolate bar, chewing gum, or hard candy. The cooling effect of erythritol is very similar to that of xylitol and among the strongest cooling effects of all sugar alcohols.[11]

Might be good in fruit mixes or with tobacco for a menthol-like taste.

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge

Heat of solution[edit]

Yes i have noticed this! Its interesting and not bothersome, and allows deep lung hits without burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread