Why sub ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly new to rebuildables, and I love what I'm getting out of them so far. I haven't ventured into sub ohm setups, I'm quite happy with a 1.2 ohm single or dual coil setup. I don't understand the appeal of an unstable sub ohm set up that could potentially hurt oneself when you can operate at a safer resistance and simply up the voltage/ wattage.... Is there a significant enough difference in performance to risk injury if something were to go wrong? Why use a mechanical and run it at .2 ohms (or whatever) when you can use a 1.5 ohm coil on a provari or a dna20 or a vamo (or whatever) increase the output of the device, AND have the protection of the device? I've seen videos by riptrippers where he's getting vapor production equal to that of a mechanical sub ohm setup but he's at 15-18 watts on a coil that's not sub ohm, and it's much safer. Am I missing something here?

Also, it seems to me (based ignorantly and entirely on common sense) that in such a scenario of catastrophic failure resulting in a battery actually causing bodily harm, wouldn't it heat up sufficiently enough to warn the user? I feel like you would drop a superheated mod rather than grasp it, continue to vape, and blow your face off... Or is there something else that I should know?

drew2075

Sep 20, 2013
Burbank, Ca, USA
Of course it's dangerous if one doesn't know what to do in terms of sub ohming, but it's very, if not extremely important to understand the risks of sub coiling and the like if one doesn't understand some logistics of amps, voltage watts! I do love tinkering with electronics and ham radio stuff and building my own pc's, so getting into sub ohms was in my scope of things to try!

pianman6954

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
United States
The idea of sub ohm is that assuming you have the proper wicking and a good mech you can get more power, high drain cells are out that can handle nearly 5C discharge on continuous duty cycle and 9C momentarily. I don't make sub-ohm wraps myself it eats batteries and there is clearly some risk, but I have seen some of the micro sub ohm coils and they perform far better than a LR coil on a VV, this is also due to the limits on the VV devices for current.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
whats not safe is when you have people that don't know what they are doing. 4 volts with a .3 ohm coil means your pulling 13 amps from the battery and hitting 53 watts of power. if your wick can feed fluid to the coil fast enough you will create one great vapor thunder cloud.
when people that try such things with equipment that is not rated for such things, or dont check anything with a DVOM before they start they are risking life and limb.

to put things in prospective a standard wall socket in the U.S. is 110 Volts (alternating current) and around 20 amps.

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town

The clouds man!!! Sub ohmers are those guys that blow vaping clouds like a busted stove!

If you are vaping normal ohm coils and it satisfied with it don't sweat it...but if you want to run the quarter mile in less than 9 seconds...you need MORE power, and the only way to do that is get higher voltage (stacking batteries) or go VERY LOW ohms!

Normal resistance (running a DIY mod too :D)
charger68.jpg

Sub Ohmers
reasbeck8097.jpg

:D

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hello Sean and welcome to the forum.

Please read this blog entry posted in another thread dealing with the same subject. Come to think of it, read the whole thread.

I've been vaping happily for almost 4 years and never had any need to go sub-ohm, but we're all adults here and people can do whatever they want. I just hope they have enough knowledge and understanding of the potential dangers to avoid hurting themselves and/or others in the process.

I've seen people at the shops get their panties in a wad real quick over this subject, so I appreciate everyone not jumpin all over me. I'm happy with what I'm getting now but it's my nature to explore so I will eventually get into this aspect of vaping because I too like to tinker. This is up my alley- another new project Thank you all, you've given me something else to chase now hahaha looks like I've got a lot of homework!!!

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
DOH!

I left off the disclaimer!

Sorry Katya and Baditude, I know they are all
Jackie-chan-meme.jpg

**WARNING WARNING WARNING**
Sub Ohming is for the EXPERIENCED vapor that knows their equipment and knows how to use it...not knowing what you are doing is very dangerous!

Chasing clouds is fun! But bad things happen when you push your stuff to the extreme and DON'T know what you are doing

auto-500-car-dwtmk.jpg

Not jumping on the OP...just forgot to mention that it's not safe if you don't know what you are doing...however you came to the right place...folks here are VERY knowledgeable and are willing to teach you...IF you are willing to listen ;)

Last edited:

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
its technically a crossing phase of vaping. at the dawn of sub-ohming, APVs and atomizers were limited to ~10w. With the advent of microcoils, newer wicking techniques, and APVs that are now capable of 20+w, achieving those insane HIGH WATT setups is no longer isolated to mechs with RBAs/RDAs.

on the other hand, sub-ohming has already built a big enough niche in products and following. it is fun to tinker and hone in on a great build as well as try out new ones. for me... im lazy so i only use carto tanks now and my several hundred feet of kanthal might get touched in a week when i want to build a fogger for halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread