IGO-L Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarobins85

Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Everyone,
So I built my IGO-L I created a wonderful Micro coil and I'm using a cotton wick, BUT i'm getting a super harsh hit the wick is properly soaked but the hit is really harsh. I'm not digging it at all I am taking lung hits but it's very unpleasant juice being used is MT. Baker Banana Cream pie its a 50/50 blend with 12mg of NiC.
Can anyone provide any feedback on this issue? If i left some details out just leave reply
Thanks again!

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Hey Everyone,
So I built my IGO-L I created a wonderful Micro coil and I'm using a cotton wick, BUT i'm getting a super harsh hit the wick is properly soaked but the hit is really harsh. I'm not digging it at all I am taking lung hits but it's very unpleasant Juice being used is MT. Baker Banana Cream pie its a 50/50 blend with 12mg of NiC.
Can anyone provide any feedback on this issue? If i left some details out just leave reply
Thanks again!

How are you aligning your airhole?

Position of the coil relative(above, below, side to side) to airhole can greatly effect the hit.

Align the airhole directly with the coil, and even height wise, and see how that effects it.

JonnyB88

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Elgin, IL, USA
How are you aligning your airhole?

Position of the coil relative(above, below, side to side) to airhole can greatly effect the hit.

And to expand on that: the height of the coil in relation to the air hole is also significant.
If you can, push the coil down lower and it might smooth it out. Higher the coil, the harsher the hit. Generally. YMMV.

jarobins85

Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Could be a lot of issues, but the first two that come to mind:
1. Too much cotton, coil choking the wick, causing dry burnt hits or
2. 12 mg juice in a dripper causing a much stronger nic/throat hit than you're used to.

I've heard of peeps sayin that to much NIC might be a harsh hit.

jarobins85

Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
As of now the hole is directly in front of the coil. Also about the Cotton I don't I put to much I took about a 1in. long piece of cotton and I roll it thin enough to go through my coil. I think I might drop the coil down below the Airhole. I wrapped my kanthal around a 3mm rod I don't know if this will effect anything but I thought I might throw that out there. I really wanna get this sucker running especially after hearing all the praise everyone has for them Or at least on how functional it can be. I mean if I puff it like a cigar and it's not that bad but taking a drag kills my lungs. I just want a good vape hahahah, thanks guys for all the input thus far.

RETUSN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Bremerton, WA
Have you ever dripped before? If this is your 1st go I would say it's:

a. Too much nic, when i went from my 3 year old Inferno to my Natural with a RSST RBA I went from 18mg to 12mg. I couldn't vape 18mg with it. I'm getting some 6mg to use on my Igo-W, 12 isn't too bad but I want to try 6mg.

b. Air hole misaligned or not the proper size. I'm not sure about the Igo-L but my Igo-W had 2 holes that required a dark room and a bright light to find. I drilled them out 3/32" and it's a much better drip experience.

Those are couple things I would look at.

Jwbaldy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2012
Ohio
That's been happening to me sort of. I'll wrap a micro coil, fire it and it looks beautiful. Throw some cotton in there, saturate it and when I fire it that way, vapor shoots off the coil a couple different ways like when you have a hot spot. The taste is off too with more throat hit than normal. Freaking sucks. I had some great micro coils and they worked great before. Not sure what I'm doing wrong now. Oh well, I'll get it back to awesome soon I hope!

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
Have you ever dripped before? If this is your 1st go I would say it's:

a. Too much nic, when i went from my 3 year old Inferno to my Natural with a RSST RBA I went from 18mg to 12mg. I couldn't vape 18mg with it. I'm getting some 6mg to use on my Igo-W, 12 isn't too bad but I want to try 6mg.

b. Air hole misaligned or not the proper size. I'm not sure about the Igo-L but my Igo-W had 2 holes that required a dark room and a bright light to find. I drilled them out 3/32" and it's a much better drip experience.

Those are couple things I would look at.

Good call on b. as well. I don't have any experience with the L, but those tiny pin holes that come stock with the igo W were awful. No airflow whatsoever, taste was terrible, and throat hit like someone punching a burnt paper towel down your throat.
Like I said before, could be a lot of issues lol.

jarobins85

Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I'm gonna have to drill the hole out seems that when there more airflow the vapor cools a bit thus giving a nicer hit.
But that's just what I've observed. Right now my evod is producing way better VTF then the igo so far not really diggin it. Hopefully after I drill the hole it might get a bit better hopefully
Sent from Droidzilla 1.0

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Make sure the wick can slide through the coil with very little resistance. It will swell up big time after it is saturated. I always wait about 15 mins before I take a hit on a new wick.

Also you can try the Dragon Coil. Instead of wicking through the coil, a bed of cotton is put under the coil. Great hits.

Also 12mg is harsher through an RBA than it is through a tank..

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As of now the hole is directly in front of the coil. Also about the Cotton I don't I put to much I took about a 1in. long piece of cotton and I roll it thin enough to go through my coil. I think I might drop the coil down below the Airhole. I wrapped my kanthal around a 3mm rod I don't know if this will effect anything but I thought I might throw that out there. I really wanna get this sucker running especially after hearing all the praise everyone has for them Or at least on how functional it can be. I mean if I puff it like a cigar and it's not that bad but taking a drag kills my lungs. I just want a good vape hahahah, thanks guys for all the input thus far.

I use micro coils in my IGO-L. I make them around a 1.5 mm drill or mini screw driver. Anything over 1.5 mm is not considered micro and will not work as well. I also make the coil 10 wraps and squeeze the wraps together so they are touching before I take the coil off the pin. My coils come in at about 1.2 ohms. My air hole is drilled out to 1.5 mm. Noticeable difference from original hole size. Too much cotton will choke the wick and keep it from moving juice and you'll get burnt hits.

Also, for me taking lung hits makes the vape harsher. Try pulling vapor into your mouth and then inhaling it.

All the other things mention in this thread count too. Are you using a mechanical mod and what resistance are your coils?

Don't give up on this. Once you get it, it will all have been worth it :thumb:

TCSun

Oct 18, 2013
Stevenson Ranch
IGO-L requires fine-tuning. For me, it was enlarging the airhole and adding a second.

after that, assuming I built a quality coil, almost all my issues with vape quality have to do with airflow and wicking. sometimes wicking affects airflow, ie when the wicks obstruct air circulation to the coils.

my goal is to maximize air circulation to create a big cool vape. by creating a clear path of fresh air from the airhole, to coil, and into your mouth. so use your judgement when considering the coil's leg length and placement and the wick amount and placement.

airhole isn't a variable anymore because you already drilled it. but you can experiment by plugging one hole to see the effects of having one or two. my 2nd airhole is much higher than the first and its above the coil, whereas the original hole is aligned with the coil. when I vape with only the higher airhole, I get less vape and a warmer hit. I don't like. but vape out of the aligned airhole, i get a thicker and cooler cloud. I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread