CE 5 burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy301

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
Waldorf,MD.
I bought the CE5 tanks because they were simple to use but sometimes they taste burnt. I don't want to build anything I just want something easy to use. I have my first VW VV mod on the way the Vamo2. Can anyone suggest some settings that work well with this tank? Also if you can recommend any other tanks that are better for the Vamo2? I also am looking for a good Black Cherry ejuice that tastes like the Johnson Creek kind not cough drops. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Cindy

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
Burnt taste is usually from too high of setting on a VV or needing a new head. The coils get a buildup over time, will taste bad, and may even irritate your throat or sinuses.
An alternative to replacing the head is to "dry burn" to remove the buildup.
I have to burn my nova off every week to prevent a burnt taste. Been using the same coil for months.

-remove the clearo and empty it
-rinse it out with water
-unscrew the tank from the base
-lift off the soft plastic piece from the head(where the wick goes in)
-rinse the inside of the head and wicks, gentle with the wicks
-blot the wicks semi-dry with a paper towel (again, gently)
-put it back on the battery
-fire it until the smoke stops coming off it. you'll have to do it in bursts to keep the battery from shutting off. the coil will glow red
-remove it from the battery, let it cool for a few minutes
-rinse and blot dry again
-reassemble

It's ready to go and should taste like new again (It will take a few puffs to dry the water). Sounds like a lot but it only takes a couple of minutes.

burn off sm.JPG

If the wick is fouled (black after burning it off and rinsing) there's not really much you can do. It won't wick as well because It's clogged.
Soaking it in vodka will help but it's a lot of trouble, so I just replace it at that point.

Cindy301

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
Waldorf,MD.
Yes I have been tilting it. The Juicemate atomizers are 2.2 ohms. I am not sure of the voltage because I don't have a VV or VW mod yet. The battery says 3.7 volts but not sure if that's what it is running. These 18650 batteries are old and I have some new ones on the way. I will try your cleaning method DKP#Thanks for your help Bacc.vap. & DKP#. I am so glad I found this site it's very informative & since I'm a noob I appreciate any advice I get.

Last edited:

pianman6954

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
United States
The idea behind regulated mods is to customize your voltage to your taste, I personally hover around 8-10 watts on higher resistance coils (1.8-3ohm) and I switch to voltage mode when I have lower impedance coils (1.3-1.6) and hover around 3-4v. I would ditch to top wick clearomizers because you'll be able to compensate the cooler vape by adding voltage and I have never had a bad hit in a BCC.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Your batteries come off the charger at 4.2v, if you're using an unregulated mod, like it sounds your are, the voltage drops as you drain the battery giving you a weaker vape till you recharge them. If you don't have an electrical meter it'd be a good idea to pick up a cheap one, you don't want to drain the batts to low before charging.

I agree with DKP#, if the burnt taste comes after using the clearo for a while, then it probably just needs cleaning or replacement.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
Not always a good idea to 'ditch the top coils.'

I tried evods, protanks, davids, etc.

I won't say I hate bottom coils, but they now sit in a draw unused and am moving to iclear30's and iclear16's. And am trying carto tanks. :)

And yes, I have vv/vw devices. No amount of cranking up fixes the airy draw and lack of flavor...to me...I get out of bottom coil devices.

To the op, taste is subjective. You will have to find what you like. Try some top and bottom coil devices at various watts(or volts) to see what you like.

On the vamo, I usually stay around 6-8 watts with top coil clearos. I find that 'my range'. I would reccomed the iclear 30 for a vamo. Easy to use, sits nice on a vamo, and the coils last a long time. And to me, very nice flavor.

Bunt taste on the ce5's to me is usually because I am chain vaping them an the wicks can't keep up. Tilt. Make sure your tank has at least half of it filled. Change the head if necessary or try dry burning.

Oh, I personally like the iclear 16's better than the ce5's. They are cheap too, and dual coil.

Good luck!

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
She don't have a vamo just yet. It's "on the way".

Set the RMS on the V2, set watts for 6-7 watts...and have at it! (I misread the OP's post)

Not sure about the Johnson Creek flavors...but there are TONS of vendors that have really good tobacco flavor stuff...I hear the RY4 is usually really good

I will say when I started the Totally Wicked "America Red Tobacco" in Red Label...and it was the best of many tobacco flavors I tried till I moved on to the sweeter fruity flavors. There are better flavors (and cheaper) out there

Roar Vapor "Strapple" is "slap yo mamma" good!

Make sure you have good IMR batteries and a good charger and you will be very pleased with the Vamo over the other smaller rigs!

Tanks...I run top coil right now, CE6 "serviceable" and vivi nova mini (clones from ft) and they perform well..many have told me they don't compare to kanger bottom coil rigs though (even though I have some regular every day BCC mini tanks)

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Cindy - how long have you been using that clearo? Did it taste burnt right away or after using? I actually like top wicking clearos and I still use them. I get the burnt taste when the coils get gunked up. Depends on the juice I'm using as to how long that is. Sometimes cleaning and dry-burning the wicks will help but usually when they start tasting burnt, I toss them.

Cindy301

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
Waldorf,MD.
Cindy - how long have you been using that clearo? Did it taste burnt right away or after using? I actually like top wicking clearos and I still use them. I get the burnt taste when the coils get gunked up. Depends on the juice I'm using as to how long that is. Sometimes cleaning and dry-burning the wicks will help but usually when they start tasting burnt, I toss them.

I have had them a couple of months. I noticed the burnt taste is usually when I change the battery. Perhaps the CE5 isn't what I should be using. I got them because I have like 10 flavors & I went for them because of price. Any recommendations on what I should use? I am waiting on a Vamo2 maybe that will solve the problem. I have never had a vv VW before so I am a noobie & I appreciate any advice given. Thanks for welcoming me to a great forum.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you like the vapor warmth and flavor production of top coil systems, I'd look into the IClear 30. I picked one up this week (gee, thanks Baditude) and it's a great system.

I've been strictly a bottom coil clearo user and those will probably dominate my setup rotation for a long time to come. The vapor is a little cooler, but the burnt tastes are much fewer and farther between and the flavor is there. Kanger Evods, Protank II's and Kamry X10's top my favorite setups and they all work hassle free for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread