First VW mods on the way..recommend me a RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch1naski

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
My first (of many, I'm sure) mod, an APV (Segelei Zmax v3) is in the mail on it's way to new. Yay.

My next step is to go rda. Wire, wick, and multimeter in hand, I'm ready to finally get a taste of my juices the way they should be tasted.

I didn't order a rda, tho. Didn't do enough homework to see what the popular choices are... so I turn to the people that I trust. ECF folks.

Any suggestions for something mid range in price? I don't have any technical limitations, just financial.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
One of the more popular ones will be the IGOL and the IGOW. I have a couple of them, and honestly don't see a reason to look any further. You may wanna drill the air hole a bit though. Funny enough, the air hole on my first one was perfect, but the second one seemed a little too small. For wire and wick I'd go with 30 gauge kanthal and 3mm silica. You can order it all from altsmoke.com.

If you wanna get into micro coils you may even go up to 28 gauge, and use cotton wick. Been doing that for about a week now and gotta say I prefer it.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
IGO-L or Trident clone. Both are on Fasttech/slowtech for a great price. I have both and use them on my Zmax Telescoping. Just keep the resistance above 1.5 ohms. I do just fine with a standard 4 5 wrap or even a 5-6 wrap. Not fond of micro coils they take a long time to heat up and APV's like the Zmax don't like low ohms.

ch1naski

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Thanks for the quick replies.

That's two votes for the IGO-L
Steve, do you know if the zmax had a low ohm cut-off feature? I did not see any info about that in the specs

I have a dremel drill press setup, with pcb bits, I guess those will come in handy for the air holes.

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
IGO-L or Trident clone. Both are on Fasttech/slowtech for a great price. I have both and use them on my Zmax Telescoping. Just keep the resistance above 1.5 ohms. I do just fine with a standard 4 5 wrap or even a 5-6 wrap. Not fond of micro coils they take a long time to heat up and APV's like the Zmax don't like low ohms.

At 1.5 ohms? What voltage? Gauge wire? My micros glow instantly at 1.5. Well, before the wick and juice that is.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
ch1naski:11067431 said:
Fasttech shows the igo-l as dual coil even tho it has only two posts, which means I'd have to wrap each close to 3 ohms to keep above 1.2 ohms.

Right ? Unless I go with single coil?

If it only has one common/negative post, you'll be making dual coils in series. 2-0.6 ohm coils in series will give you 1.2 ohms..so no less than 0.75 to not hit the cutoff resistance. 2-2.6 ohm coils in parallel will give you 1.3 ohms.

samcm010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ashburn Virginia USA
I was in same boat a couple of months ago and while I have been disappointed in Mod clones I love the trident clone. I bought the real thing and the clone and noticed absolutely no difference so I sold the real thing. I also just got the Igo-W and after some trouble drilling out the air hole it is excellent as well. I bought the real Helios and did not really care for it. I have an immortalizer clone on the way and will let you know how I like it when it finally gets here from Fasttech.
I have been using 28g kanthal and shoot for 1.5 ohms. I have tried micro coils and for me it takes to long to heat up.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I'm going to have to recommend the Trident or Trident clone. I've tried the Igo L and W, and I can tell you they are going to require some modding to get a good vape. Reason? The air hole is too small.

Also, the Igo's don't have slotted screws.

The Trident or Trident clone comes out of the box ready for a perfect build and vape. Now please don't misunderstand - if you order from Fasttech, immediately take the coil and wick that come stock and throw it in the trash. It is worthless. But what I mean is, the design of the RDA is perfect. It has multiple air hole options, including dual air holes if you choose to go with a dual coil set up. (The largest size air hole is what I use at all times with a single micro coil. Micro coil and cotton all day, all night in this - hits like a beast.)

Also, since this is going to be your first RDA it sounds like, the Trident is going to make things SO easy for you. Installing the coil is a breeze - you don't have to "capture the wire." Just shove each end through the slots and tighten the screws - clip the excess, and you're ready to go.

Oh - if you are aesthetics conscious, the Trident comes in a gorgeous gold color. The others do not.

And lastly, you can grab a clone for only $16.

All told, there really is no comparison.

Happy dripping!

Origin7_zpsa8a8bc66.jpg

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, regardless of the coil, it should glow pretty much instantly from the middle without liquid in the wick.

Yup. I've got my IGO-L running one micro coil with cotton, 1/16" I.D., 10 wraps of 27 awg Kanthal at 1.2 ohms. It's fully spitting juice about 1/2 second after hitting the button.

ch1naski

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pretty much any RDA will heat the coil properly and quickly if you're giving it the right amount of power and you built a decent coil. The thing to pay attention to is how much do you want to spend, and how much modding do you want to do before you're able to settle into a great vape.

And also check to see if the RDA comes with a gold Hello Kitty skeleton key. ;)

I've been using a PT and a vvnova, but recently mostly carto tanks.

Have not been completely satisfied with any of them. I'm searching for that seemingly elusive "perfect vapor hit", on EVERY puff. Being a former 30 year clove smoker, my throat-hit needs are a bit more demanding than most others'.

The only issue I will have is on the road vaping. Dripping and driving is probably not a good idea, so next on my list is finding an tank atty that can come close to dripping, performance-wise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread