Can not find instructions for diy mechanical box mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

tree

Mar 9, 2012
usa
I use a 18650 Touchwood with vision vivi nova 95% of the time even though I own a Provari. I would like to make a mechanical box mod with no wires that has 510 connection and uses a single AW IMR 18650 battery. After a week of searching I have not found the info I need. Please help. No need for LED light since I'm use to not having it. Also are there any good switches that are non-clicky or a way to make one? Thanks for any help you my be able to give me.

tree

Mar 9, 2012
usa
Thank you. But I take the Touchwood apart once a week to clean. New to diy and guess a little dense because I need detailed direction on how make these connections and parts list to use say a plastic case or tin box mod . I know I can get some of what I need from Mad Vapes , just do not have the wood working(boring battery size holes in solid block of wood) or others skills (like cutting brass plates for top and bottom) to make a copy of a Touchwood. Ok lets say I find something that's the right size for the body, what do I need for the insides and how do I put it together. In Dec. it will be 2 years since I quit smoking with the help of e-cigs and the advise I received for this site that helped me realize a mod and a larger battery were what I needed. Now I'd like the satisfaction that comes with being able to make my own mod. I've fixed a dryer, dishwasher and replaced power window regulator in my car by watching u-tube videos, so I should be able to make a mechanical mod, just need to see it done. Thanks to everyone for their help in the past, especially Hoosier.

tree

Mar 9, 2012
usa
Thank you, guess next step is to invest in a soldering iron and ask my husband or handy neighbor for a few lessons. Believe me I have looked high and low for a tutorial for mechanical mods and yes I did see a few that had wires. Just can't believe with all the info out there I can not find what I'm looking for. --- The Touchwood as I understand it - on one side of the top brass plate is a button attached to a long pin(not sure if its welded or soldered together),the pin passes through a spring that sits on top of a small washer that sits on top of a plastic tube, when you press the button the pin goes through the washer into tube and makes contact with the end of a brass screw that is under the tube, because the screw is in the brass bottom plate that goes under the battery on the other side contact is made and the circuit is closed because over the battery is spring attached to a coin the size of a dime that is drilled with a threaded connecter and a nut on it to hold the spring, on the other side of coin is a post with short piece of plastic tubing on it that slides into the 510 connecter that is attached to the other side top brass plate. Did I get that right?

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
The Puck Mod is not a true mechanical mod. To be a true mechanical, there can be no wires and the Puck uses a wired 510 connector and an electrical switch.

The main problem with making a true mechanical is that, in my opinion, you need to have some skill. You need a metal body to act as your ground, a switch that contacts the negative side of the your battery and the body only when pressed, and direct contact between the positive side of your battery and the positive post of your 510 connector.

I don't have a touchwood, but looking at the pictures, it appears that the battery door makes contact with the negative side of the battery. Then between the screw in the bottom, the switch, and the top plate, contact is made with the negative side of the 510 connector.

However, if you don't care that it is a true mechanical and just want an unregulated mod, that would be incredibly easy to build and you don't need as much skill. All you really need to be able to do is solder a few wires together.

BDUAres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
Texas, USA & London, UK
The Puck Mod is not a true mechanical mod. To be a true mechanical, there can be no wires and the Puck uses a wired 510 connector and an electrical switch.

To be mechanical it can have no circuitry. Mechanicals made of wood or plastic have to use use wire - or pieces of metal (which is all that makes up a piece of wire) which equate to the wire - to make contact between the poles. An "electrical" switch? Really? A push button is an "electrical switch" and the switch in the Puck Mod is, when you take it apart, (ahem) mechanical - no circuitry, with flat pieces of metal moving against each other to make contact.

Any side-button mechanical, such as a KTS Storm, where you don't physically press something into the battery to move it to make contact would, under your definition, not be a "true" mechanical, as the side button is just a larger version of that same "electrical switch" system.

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Good morning tree,

The hardest part of a true mech mod is, IMHO, coming up with a purely, homemade, mech switch. These are not readily available, nor is it a simple process to make one that works well. There are lots of per built switches available that will work well. You said in a post basically, you can do what you see, that is something I understand. To heck with your husband showing you how to solder, go to youtube, search ' how to solder ' and you'll see it's not difficult with a bit of practice. You will become a soldering diva in no time.

Now that you know how to solder (I have every confidence you'll do great), I will say, think about a metal container so the container becomes part of the overall circuit. Means less wires, less soldering, less confusion for your first mod. There are a number of videos as well as written directions on building an altoids box mod. Watch more than one or two.....remember, if you are building a mod with no kind of regulation, then in general terms......They Are All The Same.....just a different container to hold them.

So, learn to solder (vids and practice), read and watch vids about how to build, decide on your container, gather supplies, and jump in with both feet. You'll do great! If you have questions, or need some help deciding or verifying something, let us know.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BxeDkcAa4Fs
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DG-LRlSHFVM

Those will get you started

Mac

Last edited:

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
To be mechanical it can have no circuitry. Mechanicals made of wood or plastic have to use use wire - or pieces of metal (which is all that makes up a piece of wire) which equate to the wire - to make contact between the poles. An "electrical" switch? Really? A push button is an "electrical switch" and the switch in the Puck Mod is, when you take it apart, (ahem) mechanical - no circuitry, with flat pieces of metal moving against each other to make contact.

Any side-button mechanical, such as a KTS Storm, where you don't physically press something into the battery to move it to make contact would, under your definition, not be a "true" mechanical, as the side button is just a larger version of that same "electrical switch" system.

Hmmm, where to begin. So, are you saying that all unregulated devices are mechanicals? The point of a true mech with no wiring is to reduce the voltage drop as much as possible. Adding wire adds resitance. And yes, an electrical switch, one that requires wires. The wires and the switch are sources of resistance. You ever ask yourself why there are no wires in any of the mech mods you buy?

And as far as the KTS goes, I've never seen the switch. But my guess is that like most mechs with a similar switch, it makes contact when a metal post at the end of the switch comes in contact with another metal post that makes contact with the battery. Seems like you are taking my simple description of the switch to literal. Either way, the fact is that there are no wires.

tree

Mar 9, 2012
usa
Thanks Azmo and DPUAres, -- OK, I don't have the skills to make one without wires,YET. Will settle for wires for now and really take a good look at the Puck. Then learn how to solder. I needed to know if I had missed something in my research before starting and you both explained why I wasn't finding or able to do what I wanted very well. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It may take some time to get the first one done but I'll let you know when that happens. Any advice is always appreciated. -- Meanwhile I'll purchase a soldering iron(any suggestions for one?) order parts and settle on what I want to put it in.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
Thanks Azmo and DPUAres, -- OK, I don't have the skills to make one without wires,YET. Will settle for wires for now and really take a good look at the Puck. Then learn how to solder. I needed to know if I had missed something in my research before starting and you both explained why I wasn't finding or able to do what I wanted very well. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It may take some time to get the first one done but I'll let you know when that happens. Any advice is always appreciated. -- Meanwhile I'll purchase a soldering iron(any suggestions for one?) order parts and settle on what I want to put it in.

You can find a lot of parts at madvapes and boggerboxmods in their DIY section. Boggerboxmods has the 510 connectors that are already wired. That makes life much simpler.

For switches, I usually use digikey or ebay, but any momentary switch will work. You want it to be momentary and normally open.

For enclosures, you can use just about anything that you can get the components in.

For the soldering iron, I would just get the highest wattage one you can find that is not the gun style. You can find these at Radio Shack, Lowes, or Home Depot. And you want fine rosin core solder. I believe that I use .032".

tree

Mar 9, 2012
usa
Is there any reason why I need an LED light? The Touchwood doesn't have one, I have been using it for over a year so wondering why bother. Since I've settled for using wires I believe the easiest way to go would be to purchase the prewired 18659 battery holder and 510 connection and maybe add an on off switch because I want a very soft touch button(don't want it firing in my pocket).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread