From Dr. Farsalinos: Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I read (skimmed) this earlier this morning. It's a very nice study. I can see flavors being tested like this in the future. It won't be a definitive answer as to whether a particular flavor will do damage or not, but it could give us an idea of which to avoid.

I liked how they addressed avoiding dry burn in the paper. :)

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Characteristically, the worst performing e-liquids in our study were 3 times less toxic compared to cigarette smoke. These liquids were prepared by using tobacco leaves to extract the flavoring, and I believe e-cigarette users should make informed decisions on what to use.
Sounds like NET's were the worst of the bunch (which were still much better than smoking!)?? At least if I am reading this right. As stated by Spazmelda, this study will prove to be a valuable tool moving forward to address concerns of certain flavors.

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
For those interested, in the story you can d/l a PDF of the study. They name what they used. All liquids were European sourced, so, not being familiar with any of them, I won't mention them. However, I will mention the hardware. They used two devices. One was a standard Joye eGo at 3.7V. The other was a Lavatube at 4.5V. A 2.2 ohm atty was used.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Don't quote me, I'm tired. On his Facebook page, he spent a lot of patience and time answering questions for us. From what I understand, all tested to date are acceptable, with home made real tobacco leaf extract pushing the line, yet still 3 kilometers (my paraphrase) away from the line compared to cigarettes. Cinnamon is in 2nd place. He said they'd have to test every single flavor to achieve a shopping chart. (My paraphrase). All in eye, all is good so far, but that we should take a little pause with whole leaf tobacco and cinnamon even though nothing suggests a pause. It's all good. He's going to write a layman page soon.

Hmmm, tomorrow, maybe I can copy paste his words and avoid possible misunderstandings.
G'night all.

Dimitris

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Georgia
Tonight on the VapeTeam: “An Interview with Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos”! The doctor joins us live as we cover current e-cig issues and his newest study ("Evaluating the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells") which was published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. You are welcome to call in with your questions at 1-347-308-8329! Also meet “Runner X” - a man’s journey into highlighting the benefits of electronic cigarettes as harm reduction products, by running the 26.2 mile NYC Marathon on November 3rd while vaping! Tune in tonight 9:30pm EST at Vapers Place - VP Live Vape Team ~ You can also watch the VapeTeam from ANY mobile device via http://mobilestream.vapeteam.com or YouTube Live: Live Episodes - YouTube and Roku Streaming Boxes

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Tonight on the VapeTeam: “An Interview with Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos”! The doctor joins us live as we cover current e-cig issues and his newest study ("Evaluating the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells") which was published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. You are welcome to call in with your questions at 1-347-308-8329! Also meet “Runner X” - a man’s journey into highlighting the benefits of electronic cigarettes as harm reduction products, by running the 26.2 mile NYC Marathon on November 3rd while vaping! Tune in tonight 9:30pm EST at Vapers Place - VP Live Vape Team ~ You can also watch the VapeTeam from ANY mobile device via http://mobilestream.vapeteam.com or YouTube Live: Live Episodes - YouTube and Roku Streaming Boxes

Hi Dimitris. May I suggest for the future that an announcement like this surely merits its own thread, so people scanning thread titles will see it, read it, watch it?! :thumbs:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Interesting study by someone who appears to understand vaping (for example, the article discusses the "dry puff" phenomenon).

Figure 2 - a picture speaks 1000 words:thumbs:
Fig2.jpg

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Interesting study by someone who appears to understand vaping (for example, the article discusses the "dry puff" phenomenon).

Figure 2 - a picture speaks 1000 words:thumbs:
View attachment 265120
I know, right. He is astonishingly knowledgeable, doesn't miss a beat. He's very thorough in his research, in the lab and the Vapers both. He is mountains above the antis who are so stuck on propaganda they can't think.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Dr Farsalinos will be our guest this Wed 10/23/13 on Vapers Place - VP Live Vape Team He will be discussing this study as well as taking your calls with any questions or comments. If you are unable to attend live you can leave a voicemail with your questions to 1-216-200-VAPE or email us info@vapeteam.com

DAMNIT! Just last night and I missed it. I feel like such a dope!

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
All of our replays are posted on Vape Team - YouTube iTunes SD and HD and Roku

Thanks. I will check it out, but here's the thing--I would've loved to have called in. That's why I feel like such a dope! I actually had questions. Man, there's so much to keep up with.

Thanks again and I'll give it a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread