RBA HELP. Am I missing something with the whole RBA craze? Flavor is ok and having to re drip constantly is annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lov3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Seattle, Wa
rba HELP. Am I missing something with the whole RBA craze? Flavor is ok and having to re drip constantly is annoying.

I have been reading lots of stuff about how dripping is soooo amazing but it baffles me as to why.

I have a IGO-L and building has been easy but flavor sucks!
My smoktek dual coil carto setup doesn't even compare!

What am I doing wrong?
I am using 28g kanthal and heat it up before building then proceed to make a mirco coil (which I heard are good)
10 wraps came out to 1.5ohm
Used some cotton from a bag, put inside coil, couple drips of juice and take around 10 hits.
The flavor is terrible!
What am I missing?
Am I wrapping wrong?
Is this normal?

Also would this be a better setup to go with?
Like the best of both worlds?
http://www................../Smoktech-RSST-RBA-wDrip-tip_p_196.html

Really appreciate you guys help a newbie.
Thanks guys.

VAPE ON :smokie:

Last edited:

m3lov3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Seattle, Wa
Heck, I'm with you. I also recently got a couple of igo-L's and don't see what this whole 'dripping' craze is about.

Maybe it has something to do with sub-ohm stuff (which I know absolutely nothing about and have no wish to get into).

I'll be watching this thread - maybe I'll learn something.

Isnt it crazy! I dont know what the craze is. But I doubt sub ohm has to do with flavor.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Yea it helps to see whats going on, a properly set up dripper is awesome for flavor and vapor, even at regular resistances. even the store bought 510 drippers work very well and sell like crazy.

if the flavor is terrible it sounds like its an airhole or misaligned coil problem. or not enough juice. you dont just soak the wick but put enough in to keep the wick wet.

Last edited:

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
Well, with a micro coil, you need to allow your coil to heat up a bit before you get up to vaping temperature. Also, with any coil, you need to make sure your wick is making good contact with the coil, without being so cramped as to prevent liquid from wicking into it. You can't choke the wick, otherwise you're just going to smoke some cotton. Ideally, your cotton should be able to twist down, easily slide into the coil, then untwist into a fluffier state. Once you ad fluid, it will expand. If it's too tight to untwist, then slide out, it's going to choke when it gets wet. A good gauge of this is to look at it dry, if it's not bulging out the edges of your coil, but still snug against it, you're probably good. Aside from that, make sure your air hole is directly in front of your coil. If you find that you air draw is a bit too stiff you may need to drill out the hole to 1/16. Try these tips out before dismissing dripping. You need a firm understanding of building coils and wicks in general before trying your hand a a genesis, or you'll just give yourself a headache. If you do get your coils/ wicks in order, start with an AGA-T2, or an RSST, to learn the whole new game of genesis building, before moving to something more expensive.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been using a IGO-L for a while now. Love it. I set it up with micro coils and cotton. Hard to tell from your pics, but I don't think your coil is a proper micro. Super_X_drifter has a great video on making micro coils here. IMO if you make yours the same as he does you will have success. Just leave the tails of the wick a bit longer as you are not bottom feeding like he does.

HTH!

zhentipede

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
California, USA
20131025_000041.jpg

1.2 ohm 28g kanthal 5/6 wrap on mini screwdriver
I spaced it out instead of touching ... juice don't burn up as fast on cotton wick

less than 1 ohm I use a mech... patience practice trial and error = great pay off
flavor and vapor 10x better ... it holds a good amount of juice

m3lov3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Seattle, Wa
What RBA is that?

View attachment 265662

1.2 ohm 28g kanthal 5/6 wrap on mini screwdriver
I spaced it out instead of touching ... juice don't burn up as fast on cotton wick

less than 1 ohm I use a mech... patience practice trial and error = great pay off
flavor and vapor 10x better ... it holds a good amount of juice

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Ok, a few things.

Your air hole looks huge, is that 1/8"? Not much can be done about that now but I like about 1.2mm for a good balance of vapor and flavor.

What did you wrap your coil around, it looks bigger than 1/16" which is the biggest I would go for a true micro coil. It also looks like some of your wraps might be overlapping instead of side by side.

Do you have 30g kanthal? 28 takes longer to heat up >1ohm, which you have to be to use on a regulated mod, could try cranking up the volts a bit, but 30g would work better.

Your wick does look a little thick, it might be choking, and not feeding the coil properly.

Try to align your coil directly up with your air hole both horizontally and vertically, and get your coil as close to the hole as possible without it touching.

Hope some of that helps, the link posted before to super_x_drifter's vid should help, he's the micro coil guru.

zhentipede

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
California, USA
Micro Coil On A Trident RDA - YouTube

i used micro coil also but it tends to burn juice way too fast ........ but this is the youtube guide i used to build it... i did not use a torch= i used my stove using the blue flame held with a long nose pliers... really easy especially using 28 g kanthal...

so now i use similar steps but instead of touching/stuck together i space it evenly and still use cotton ball wick

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Looks like your coil is "choked"....a bit thinner wick may help..
Are you using 100% VG juice???? That thick juice will NOT wick as well as, say, a 50/50 PG/VG.....
And...especially if it's COTTON....the wick MUST be saturated!!!
I just started last week dripping with an IGO-L...2.0 ohm coil, air hole drilled to 3/32"....after changing out the silica wick to cotton (Peaches & Cream from Wal-Mart....) it's all good!!:D Boba's Bounty, dripped, is AMAZING!!! (But 24mg nic can have you "star-gazing" before you know it!! Kinda like the difference between putting something in your nose vs into your vein....;))
Don't give up on the IGO-L....or dripping, period!! Someone else mentioned the 510 (bridgeless) dripping attys....I have several , and they work really well....just need to CLEAN 'em up after each use.....
Good Luck!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread