Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
Here is a step by step way to create a very cheap and useful coil wrapping tool.

Materials required:

-Large paperclip
-Drill bit (5/64 is pictured)
-Pliers (optional)
-Wire size of your choice

IMG_1155.jpg
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg

Thread wire through top loop and wrap around side post next to it to secure wire.

Perfect for making even coils for your rebuilds!

Keep on vaping my friends!

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
My plan was to use the drill bit for a "die" to shape the paper clip, then slip the completed "tool" over my wick/sewing needle stabilizer to wind the coil directly onto the wick. It may be a pain getting the "tool" onto the wick, but some experimentation with diameters and actual shape, thinking a little conical, should do the trick.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Anyone else terribly confused about what this tool does and how it works?

*raises hand*

Makes no sense to me. I'm guessing they're using the coils of the paperclip to wrap the wire into the grooves like wrapping into a screw. They loop the wire around the arm of the L to hold the wire.

I never could find a screw with small enough threads so I'm sure a paperclip would be too wide of spacing. Whether I'm doing micros or not I use something like this and spread the coils later if I want (stick a knife blade between them and spread them as far as I want, or do it while firing).

needle_2045.jpg needle_2046.jpg

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I've used a 4-40 machine screw to wrap coils for a 3mm wick. A bit of a pain getting the wick through, even with a needle though.

In this case I plan on using the "tool" to actually do the wrapping, close-up and personal, to the wick. A little hook on one end for the coil wire and the handle on the other to turn it. I am a little stumped about what to do about the zero resistance wire lead that will be left on the "completion" end. Maybe I'll weld that on after I wrap. To be continued when I get a chance to play....

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
The link won't work, but if you're thinking about a standard wirewrap tool that would make the resistance wire bend too much and is designed for a really tight wrap due to the purposes of wirewrap. It would also be pretty problematic if the resistance wire has ends of zero resistance wire on it. Those welds would take kindly to the sharp bends the tool requires.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Hmm, I've used the paper clip as the mold to wrap my micro coils around. Want my coil loops tight close and touching. Also use a blunt tip syringe needle to wrap my coils around. Then I just twist the cotton or hemp really tight and thin, putting it inside the blunt needle, to pull the cotton through the coil. Don't understand why one would want to wrap the coils so far spaced apart.

The link won't work, but if you're thinking about a standard wirewrap tool that would make the resistance wire bend too much and is designed for a really tight wrap due to the purposes of wirewrap. It would also be pretty problematic if the resistance wire has ends of zero resistance wire on it. Those welds would take kindly to the sharp bends the tool requires.

Point taken awsum with regards to R/NR wire. I was thinking of making something out of SS tubing. You'd have to experiment but if you had something with an ID that fit over, say a 20g needle or a micro screwdriver and drilled a hole in one end or cut a dog-leg notch, you could feed the wire down the tube alongside the needle/driver and twist the tube. anyway - worth a thought and fiddle :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread