Why hasn't someone done a sticky with a parts list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tree

Mar 9, 2012
usa
New to this. I know a lot of you all make due with all kinds of thing you find here and there. But lurking in the shadows I can spend days trying to find something and were to buy it. Meanwhile I see the same few people answer the same questions over and over on 50 different threads. With all due respect, I know it wouldn't be a quick and easy thing to put a parts list together and links to different suppliers but gee (for lack of a better word I can use here), wouldn't it save you tons of time in the long run? And the rest of us would be oh so grateful. I didn't start using a computer until I started using E-cigs so my skills are not up to snuff and no background yet in making mods or else I'd try it myself (just learned to copy and paste yesterday). --- For example I want a soft touch switch because I do not like clicky sounds so an on/off switch seems like a good idea to add to the mod but Madvapes doesn't carry them so I going to have to search yet again for this part. Anyone up to this?

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
The problem with making a list like that is that it would be extremely long. Myself alone have ordered parts from about 20 different places. Not to mention that the best prices and stock can change on a daily basis. And some of the sites I use require that you really know what you want.

For switches I usually use digikey.com, mouser.com, and sometimes Ebay. And regarding the clicky sound, you would probably be better off with a pushbutton switch then a tactile switch.

tree

Mar 9, 2012
usa
Like I said I noticed a few members answering the same questions over and over on many threads about basic parts and providing links on where to find them. Some kind, helpful help people are already putting in the time. Couldn't someone just start with the basic parts like connectors, battery contacts, battery holders, switches, soldering irons, shrink wrap, LEDs, on/off switches, circuit boards for example? So far I have ordered parts from 3 places and you all provided the links. --- And I don't know if it's just me but google isn't as helpful as it use to be. I am grateful for all the help I have received here, just thought a list would be easier on everyone.

Littlefeather

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
Northern California
Tree
Excellent suggestion and thanks in advance so much for volunteering to do this and keeping it updated! Shweeeeet! LOL! As I found when I was looking for sources and parts there are so many variables it would be a very long list and good research is prudent. It’s taken me several months to gather the information on what I wanted for the type of MOD I wanted. I’ve read over 2500 posts in that time and have learn much more than I need for my build but have also broadened my knowledge but and giving me many more ideas for MODs. And, this is where I want to thank alllll the folks here (ECF) that have been so willing to share their experience and expertise.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
And the other thing I found is that people just don't read the stickies. Even if there was a sticky, people would still post asking for the same information.

This being such a helpful community, nobody seems to mind answering the same questions over and over. Ask and Ye' shall receive. Another option is the search feature, although I rarely find that helpful.

DrBeaker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Lab City USA
www.mothersmilkwta.com
And the other thing I found is that people just don't read the stickies. Even if there was a sticky, people would still post asking for the same information.

This being such a helpful community, nobody seems to mind answering the same questions over and over. Ask and Ye' shall receive. Another option is the search feature, although I rarely find that helpful.
yeah except a search engine doesn't always work very well for what you're looking for

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
Another caveat to a list such as this would be availability and advancement. Parts sell out, and the technology can improve or become obsolete overnight. Maybe if somebody made a parametric list...

The best I could do was come up with a list for what I wanted to build, then go hunting for that handful of parts. I'd start somewhere that does have a parametric listing such as Mouser, get my part #s and then hit the search engines to find the lowest possible prices. Keep in mind sites like eBay and Amazon have sweet deals that come and go quickly...I bought 10 Trustfire Flame 14500's with a charger for $25 including shipping. Scroll down the same page I found them on and you'd see a pair for $16.99.

That type of fluctuation makes a collective list nearly impossible to compose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread